ADVERTISEMENT

To Mask or Not to Mask that is the question?

Simple question, do you think wearing a Mask works to stop the spread of Covid-19?

• Total voters
I was just saying that your "mantra" seems at odds with your actual behavior. Maybe you should stop pretending it's your mantra, or at least stop saying it out loud.

I always treat others with dignity and respect, and I have never started crap with other; but I will call out a jerk. If they cross the line, the mantra becomes irrelevant. I would be remiss for not calling out a jerk. Can you understand that concept, or is that too nebulous for you? It is pretty simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lukeag
You really sound like a dick. Maybe that should be your mantra.

You really sound like a dick. Maybe that should be your mantra.

You are silly because YOU are acting like a dick. You can't even perceive that. You devolve into immaturity as you start name calling. lol

jr95 started this stupidity by saying, " Therefore it’s gotta be the mask. Or, stick to your military stories because logic is not your strong suit". Yet you want to go after me. Perhaps you two have affections for each other?

Have an excellent day! I can't believe I have wasted a few minutes on your vacuous thoughts and vapid drivel.

Last edited:
There is no doubt masks provide some level of protection. How much is debatable and depends on the type of mask. however it's a such low burden to wear a mask in almost all situations that it seems silly to me to even argue about it. Locking down? Much higher burden with potentially devastating effects.
I would consider developing a hypoxic drive a burden.

I would consider developing a hypoxic drive a burden.

can you provide evidence that h
This is actually happening? I wear masks for 10hrs a day (at least) in the hospital and have no issue and my Respiratory therapist wear n95 all day with no issues....

Texas has worn mask since July, so clearly there are other factors in why the numbers are so different.

Yall keep throwing out numbers that say "texas is worse then this state" or another country.....but it doesn't help your argument about mask since we are going on 9 months of wearing mask and officially still are under a mandate.

If both states(or countries) are under mask mandate and one state numbers are worse, how does that bolster any argument that mask work? Maybe they do or don't, but that data doesn't prove it.

And your Trump argument about him getting Covid is silly, I know several mask wearers who also got it.

Have you ever considered perhaps the US has a hard time containing COVID because the pandemic is quite large in the US? I don't believe everyone wears masks in public. There are plenty of pictures and articles about non mask wearing events.

What numbers am I throwing out? The closest thing to numbers is the comparison of per capita deaths of S Korea and Japan to the US.

What is silly is a president who eschews masks and contracts COVID to include many of his aids.

Last edited:
At the end of the day the US did just about the worst job of handling this of any developed nation so may want to examine why that is. (Cue no every other country is lying and hiding dead bodies.)

Reactions: Agswag12
It proves the status of small island nation does not guarantee the pandemic metrics will be low.

Small island nation (which should theoretically be easier to control) with more restrictive measures than the US, with more deaths per capita.

Reactions: ArmyTanker
Small island nation (which should theoretically be easier to control) with more restrictive measures than the US, with more deaths per capita.

True you are on the money, but the UK per capita death rate is higher than ours which says a lot. In February Taiwan planned and executed testing on everyone entering the country and conducted contact tracing. Its COVID metrics are fantastic. They used the “control” you alluded to great efficacy.

I can’t say this is the truth for all countries, but several countries that have done well against COVID planned and executed in February.

True you are on the money, but the UK per capita death rate is higher than ours which says a lot. In February Taiwan planned and executed testing on everyone entering the country and conducted contact tracing. Its COVID metrics are fantastic. They used the “control” you alluded to great efficacy.

I can’t say this is the truth for all countries, but several countries that have done well against COVID planned and executed in February.

search this site for discussion about how Taiwan handled the virus, including the govt requiring people to have phones on them (and powered) at all times so that they could be tracked.

Taiwan also had a horrible flu breakout at the exact same time they were having inexplicably low covid numbers, so their data is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Taiwan has had 10covid deaths total, ever...and had 14 flu deaths in one week.

seems suspect

Last edited:
Reactions: CSAg03

If the genie is still in the bottle it’s easy to control. There was zero way, no matter what policy we enacted, that the genie was staying in. Too much unrestricted travel and long ass unprotected borders. For us it was a matter of when not if.

Reactions: CSAg03
Jan - WHO issues not transferable via air
End Jan- travel ban (apparently xenophobic)
Feb- pelosi and de Blasio telling people to come out and celebrate Chinese New Year (it’s safe)

our problem is politics overrides all else. Too few in this country pay attention to realize politicians work to get re-elected, that’s it. Not what’s best for their constituents, not what’s best long term for the nation. It’s what is best for me to leverage being re-elected.

Imagine if Trump told people to have mass gatherings In February. He’d probable be indicted for murder by some left AG. But Dem politicians do it, it’s no big deal.

If the genie is still in the bottle it’s easy to control. There was zero way, no matter what policy we enacted, that the genie was staying in. Too much unrestricted travel and long ass unprotected borders. For us it was a matter of when not if.

i non concur. Some countries did a hell of a job preparing for the pandemic. The US did virtually nothing in February to late March.

i non concur. Some countries did a hell of a job preparing for the pandemic. The US did virtually nothing in February to late March.

travel from China was restricted in February 2020, which was said to be xenophobic.

Europe restricted by mid March.

“15 days to flatten the curve” mid March.

I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but I don't care. The logic behind wearing a surgical mask is a based on initial thoughts that the virus can only be transmitted through airborne droplets and surface contamination. And if true, it would make sense.

But it's now apparent that the virus is transmitted through aerosolized particulates, which basically renders surgical masks ineffective. Look at it this way - the reason Fauci initially said not to purchase N95 masks is because they are not effective unless properly fitted. Physicians actually have to get certified for this.

Now think about the fit of a surgical mask. It's such a bad fit I've got condensation all over my glasses and air running out of all sides. Sure, a surgical mask is going to catch a certain percentage of the virus, so it's really a matter of what viral load is necessary to for transmission. We didn't know the answer last time I checked, but the massive spread suggests it's pretty low.

Finally, what do you think is more likely to get someone sick: the guy across the room or the surgical mask he's kept in his car for a week?

Now I don't believe there's some nefarious conspiracy behind the mask mandates. I think it's more a matter of politicians needing to point to something they've done to combat the spread. As for the rest of us, some people cling to the notion because they're afraid and it makes them feel safe. It makes some feel like they're more compassionate or intelligent. And to be fair, some people are adamantly opposing masks for the same reasons or just to feel like they are fighting against the power.

However, I do not believe that a cloth or surgical mask is really any defense against COVID. If it were, we'd see much different numbers in the US.
And you continue to be the smartest guy in the room. 👍🏻

I will wear one to calm those who are concerned in public places. I've had it, doubt I will be a typhoid Mary and folks are getting vaccinated at breakneck speed. But for the moment, I will put one on for others.

Reactions: Agswag12
Haven’t read all these posts but here’s 2 cents worth. Heard a guy from OSHA on a call in show saying masks are worthless.

?

Positivity Rate:
Cal 2.3%
Texas 13.4%

New Cases Per 100k
Cal 16.8
Texas 26.8

Case Rate Trend:
Cal decreasing
Texas increasing
Cases? We’re talking about cases? The real data is hospitals and death rates. CA has led the nation virtually every day this year in deaths.

Ca has been locked down the whole time.

States/TerritoriesConfirmedDeathsVaccinated
California3,488,46753,0489,860,209
Texas2,671,44243,8786,379,094
California is more crowded than Texas in that their cities are more dense. And they have more people overall. Also, there’s a shitton of Republicans that live there.

Texans are dumb for thinking there’s 80% or greater of liberals living there.

Last edited:
Texas has worn mask since July, so clearly there are other factors in why the numbers are so different.

Yall keep throwing out numbers that say "texas is worse then this state" or another country.....but it doesn't help your argument about mask since we are going on 9 months of wearing mask and officially still are under a mandate.

If both states(or countries) are under mask mandate and one state numbers are worse, how does that bolster any argument that mask work? Maybe they do or don't, but that data doesn't prove it.

And your Trump argument about him getting Covid is silly, I know several mask wearers who also got it.
Many Texans don’t wear masks. Rural Texas which has gotten hit hard since the summer doesn’t enforce or practice mask wearing very well. Restaurants will pack tight in most places. Get out and see for yourself.

Yeah rural Texas has been at the forefront of nationwide cases. You can point to population density but then maybe you can argue places with lower population density don’t need masks. More importantly you can argue that different jurisdictions and even businesses (gasp!) can determine their own level of risk and furthermore actual sentient beings with brains can manage their own risk. It’s been a year. If you’re scared stay home.

Reactions: gooch82 and Ag98
can you provide evidence that h
This is actually happening? I wear masks for 10hrs a day (at least) in the hospital and have no issue and my Respiratory therapist wear n95 all day with no issues....
. No I can not as my response is mostly rhetorical. The data is not available for any of these claims that folks are making but I do know that frequent hand washing is an undisputed method of protection against a virus but it been all about the masks for the past year.

Love Twitter as a news source. For that graph:

"North Dakota was issuing about four times as many tests as South Dakota at the time and had a positivity rate that was about four times lower."

South Dakota has had about 25% more covid deaths. Only humans though.

Last edited:
It's a friggin' novel virus...people did/will get sick. Feel the need to blame someone?...start and end with the CCP...and Cuomo.

Ok since you want to be so adamant about you being right. What do you know about the National Response Framework and does HHS have a Pandemic Plan? Who is supposed to provide overarching leadership of the large federal government Task Force for planning for National Disasters? What entities belong in that Task Force? Is the Army Corps of Engineers and Army North part of the Task force? How does the Task Force get DOD support?

Why do some countries have much lower pandemic metrics than the US? Was it appropriate for Trump to lie about the pandemic for weeks? Why was FEMA told to start planning the Task Force in late March. Why did the federal government wait until late March to create a cell to order PPEs. By late March we had no control over the pandemic. It controlled us.

- We failed to plan early.
- We failed to act early.
- Trump lied about the pandemic for weeks.
- By the time we started planning it was too late. The pandemic won as it took control of the country.

I could have done a significantly better job preparing for the US for the pandemic. Do you know why? I would have told DHS to dust off the National Disaster Plan and told HHS to dust off their Pandemic Plan. Trump and his administration failed to do these things.

To make matters worse Trump down played the risk by saying it would disappear, it is not going to hit us yada yada yada. In the meantime we have Trump, Pence, Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, Dr. Navarro, Mr. Atlas the trade minister yapping away and sometimes contradicting others or outright attacking the credibility of scientists. So not only did Trump and his administration fvck up the response but they fvcked up the strategic communications to the country with contradictory information. My ham sandwich has more intelligence than Trump and his administration.

Go ahead and argue all you want. The fact of the matter is the US has 4% of the worlds population and 20% of the covid metrics. Someone tell me why this is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheekySchneider
mask mandate here in singapore has me convinced. Very, very low community transmission. You dont go out of your house without a mask. 5.7M people in about 280sq mi - very densely packed. Yep, masks are doing the job.

Ok since you want to be so adamant about you being right. What do you know about the National Response Framework and does HHS have a Pandemic Plan? Who is supposed to provide overarching leadership of the large federal government Task Force for planning for National Disasters? What entities belong in that Task Force? Is the Army Corps of Engineers and Army North part of the Task force? How does the Task Force get DOD support?

Why do some countries have much lower pandemic metrics than the US? Was it appropriate for Trump to lie about the pandemic for weeks? Why was FEMA told to start planning the Task Force in late March. Why did the federal government wait until late March to create a cell to order PPEs. By late March we had no control over the pandemic. It controlled us.

- We failed to plan early.
- We failed to act early.
- Trump lied about the pandemic for weeks.
- By the time we started planning it was too late. The pandemic won as it took control of the country.

I could have done a significantly better job preparing for the US for the pandemic. Do you know why? I would have told DHS to dust off the National Disaster Plan and told HHS to dust off their Pandemic Plan. Trump and his administration failed to do these things.

To make matters worse Trump down played the risk by saying it would disappear, it is not going to hit us yada yada yada. In the meantime we have Trump, Pence, Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, Dr. Navarro, Mr. Atlas the trade minister yapping away and sometimes contradicting others or outright attacking the credibility of scientists. So not only did Trump and his administration fvck up the response but they fvcked up the strategic communications to the country with contradictory information. My ham sandwich has more intelligence than Trump and his administration.

Go ahead and argue all you want. The fact of the matter is the US has 4% of the worlds population and 20% of the covid metrics. Someone tell me why this is the case.

Pelosi was walking around China town late February encouraging people to hang out and shop there after Trump had shut down travel to China, Biden on Feb 24 said don’t take the virus seriously. Most of the reason we have issues is because we are a fat country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT