ADVERTISEMENT

To Mask or Not to Mask that is the question?

Simple question, do you think wearing a Mask works to stop the spread of Covid-19?

• Total voters

Big Smoothie

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2005
Austin
I was just curious about the overall pulse of AY about wearing a Mask and it's effectiveness in regards to Covid-19.

I was at a twin peaks yesterday and supposedly they are going to make their staff continue to wear one but not customers. Of course that was in Dallas county, have to wait and see what dipshit Jenkins tries to do.

But the whole wear a mask to your table then take if off never made much sense to me.

My personal experience is, while in the small town where I live near Amarillo and in Amarillo when I go there, I only wear a mask if I am asked to and stayed well the whole time. Over Christmas we went to Colorado where we were made to wear a mask any time we were outside our condo basically. We came home from Colorado with covid.

I would rather take my chances getting covid than spend all day breathing my on CO2.

California has vaccinated 3% more of there population, and the death rate is lower than Texas. Deaths per 100k is 134 compared to 152 for Texas. They also have a more dense population. Get your selective fact shit out of here. They did not have lockdowns. They put a mask rule in place June 18, Texas was July 2nd.

I’m getting to personally dislike maskers. I don’t want to, and realize it’s not right. But we’re just fundamentally different people and I blame them for so many of the economic and other problems we now face.

I also seriously resent their control over my personal choices. I don’t even recognize where and who “we” are today.

Ca has been locked down the whole time.

States/TerritoriesConfirmedDeathsVaccinated
California3,488,46753,0489,860,209
Texas2,671,44243,8786,379,094

I hd to drive through sf recently....they are locked down.....but the park is also full of 300 people chilling out. So I would say they aren’t enforcing the lockdown

Reactions: Bear_P_I
Ca has been locked down the whole time.

States/TerritoriesConfirmedDeathsVaccinated
California3,488,46753,0489,860,209
Texas2,671,44243,8786,379,094
So, locking down works?

Also, why did you post total numbers? Everyone knows that the per capita numbers are the more appropriate way to present this.

Last edited:
California has vaccinated 3% more of there population, and the death rate is lower than Texas. Deaths per 100k is 134 compared to 152 for Texas. They also have a more dense population. Get your selective fact shit out of here. They did not have lockdowns. They put a mask rule in place June 18, Texas was July 2nd.
Not sure I get the point of your comparison. Florida has fewer cases per 1M than either TX or CA and had the most lax covid restrictions of anyone.

FWIW, I think masks undoubtedly help when the proper mask is worn in the proper way (and not used over and over again), but while you are railing about selective facts- your point seems particularly weak.

So, locking down works?

Also, why did you post total numbers? Everyone knows that the per capita numbers are the more appropriate way to present this.
It works slightly better. Not sure it is worth it though unless your in the camp that anything is worth it if it prevents one more death or case.

Reactions: boone8466
There is no doubt masks provide some level of protection. How much is debatable and depends on the type of mask. however it's a such low burden to wear a mask in almost all situations that it seems silly to me to even argue about it. Locking down? Much higher burden with potentially devastating effects.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide me some research on the topic. I’ve looked and haven’t found anything of significance. Even went to one of the Cal university’s sites dedicated to the research on masks...nothing...

I mean if we have data, let’s look at the data. If all we have are opinions, I think we should use mine!

Can anyone provide me some research on the topic. I’ve looked and haven’t found anything of significance. Even went to one of the Cal university’s sites dedicated to the research on masks...nothing...

I mean if we have data, let’s look at the data. If all we have are opinions, I think we should use mine!

Here's one it took me 5 secs to look up. I haven't read the whole thing though.

As far as California vs. Texas death rate, I'd venture to say the average Californian is healthier than the average Texan (i.e. has fewer co-morbitites) and stands a better chance to fight it off.

Reactions: David123
since death rates are in actuality no worse with covid than before, pretty stupid to now to enforce it. and if we are really worried about saving lives, end abortion.

better question - how many people were denied medical procedures during the lockdown that needlessly suffered? selective compassion is a liberal talking point

go back to personal responsibility - if you are skered stay home

What the hell is your definition of "lockdown" if California isn't locked down? It is pretty much being used universally right now to mean limited capacity, businesses closed, no major events etc(not people actually locked in their homes) and California is most definitely locked down.

CA has been locked down. My sons live in LA and SF. Still not going to office for over a year and no end in sight. They are locked down.

Reactions: jr95
So, locking down works?

No if lock downs work they numbers would skewed the other way. Where is the evidence that says their lock down worked?

What defines a lock down? Malls and gyms are open in California. Dining with limited capacity. Sounds a lot like most everywhere else. I know lots of people in Texas who haven't been in the office in a year.

What defines a lock down? Malls and gyms are open in California. Dining with limited capacity. Sounds a lot like most everywhere else. I know lots of people in Texas who haven't been in the office in a year.

California depends on the county. they have a varied of restrictions in place, but they are certainly more restrictive than in Texas. That is not in question. There are only a a few rural counties where indoor dining is allowed.

All Koreans and Japanese wear masks. Our per capita deaths in the US is 50 and 40 times the rates of those respective countries. I choose to wear masks unilaterally.

Some of you will say you can eat off of a Japanese sidewalk because they are so clean. They are in better shape. They are culturally cleaner. However every day millions of Japanese rub shoulders in crowded trains but yet our per capita death rate is 40 times Japan's. Trump was a great example of not wearing a mask and look what happened to him. Perhaps Japan has more control over COVID than the US? If COVID was an opposing army Japan faces a much smaller army than us.

All Koreans and Japanese wear masks. Our per capita deaths in the US is 50 and 40 times the rates of those respective countries. I choose to wear masks unilaterally.

Some of you will say you can eat off of a Japanese sidewalk because they are so clean. They are in better shape. They are culturally cleaner. However every day millions of Japanese rub shoulders in crowded trains but yet our per capita death rate is 40 times Japan's. Trump was a great example of not wearing a mask and look what happened to him. Perhaps Japan has more control over COVID than the US? If COVID was an opposing army Japan faces a much smaller army than us.

key words “you choose”.

Texas has worn mask since July, so clearly there are other factors in why the numbers are so different.

Yall keep throwing out numbers that say "texas is worse then this state" or another country.....but it doesn't help your argument about mask since we are going on 9 months of wearing mask and officially still are under a mandate.

If both states(or countries) are under mask mandate and one state numbers are worse, how does that bolster any argument that mask work? Maybe they do or don't, but that data doesn't prove it.

And your Trump argument about him getting Covid is silly, I know several mask wearers who also got it.

Just curious, has anyone else seen flu deaths counted? I haven’t and that is normally a running tally. Suspicious that these are being lumped in with COVID deaths.

There's basically no flu cases around the globe. We're testing for it, it's just not there. It's even absent in places that didn't lock down or wear masks (i.e. Sweden).

Reactions: AgLaw02

Small island nations

Can I Travel To Japan Now? March 2021
At present, all tourists and businesspeople are barred from entering the country. Japan has tightened restrictions due to the new Covid-19 variants.

There is no doubt masks provide some level of protection. How much is debatable and depends on the type of mask. however it's a such low burden to wear a mask in almost all situations that it seems silly to me to even argue about it. Locking down? Much higher burden with potentially devastating effects.
Right-On figmo -- I appreciate people wearing a mask to help prevent my getting the China Virus

What universe are you from? Ca has been locked down. I have family and friends there. They have vaccinated more because the have 10 million more people and in non-rural areas. You would need to look at the population segments, medical availability in rural areas, average age, valley impact. etc to determine deaths per 100k. You get your blinded distorted crap out of here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT