ADVERTISEMENT

My Son and Cancer

Thepassag

Known Member
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2010
Just over 3 Years ago, I wrote about my son getting cancer. A number of you were very supportive and offered prayers so I wanted to give you a follow up. As a background, my son, like all sons, is unique. In his case, he was the best athlete I had personally ever been around since the age of 2-3 (always the very best in the league at everything and was at his very best under pressure). At the age of 10 I took him for the first time to a tennis court and within 7 months, he was ranked the #6 player in the Southwestern US. By 12, he was considered a protégée and was hearing from top schools around the country. When he was 13, after winning another tournament, he was feeling unusually tired and stayed home for a couple of day and then his mom sent him back to school, but not before going and getting some blood work. When the test results returned, an ambulance was sent to his school to pick him up. He had leukemia and his white blood cell count was so high he was practically dead.

For the next 3 years he was bombarded with chemo and all sorts of drugs (some injections so painful he would cry). He of course he lost his hair, almost completely stunted his growth and was very, very thin. We were also told if he survive through the 3 year regimen, he might also never be able to have children. I could not have been more proud of him and his attitude and after 1 year even got back on the tennis team. Kids he used to beat with ease were now bigger and stronger than him and my son had very little stamina, yet he managed to become the #2 player on the vasity team as a junior and came in 2# in doubles in the state of Colorado as a junior, all the while with cancer and heavy drugs in his system.

4 months ago, through the grace of God, he was declared cancer free and taken off almost all of the drugs. In those 4 months, he has grown from 5’8” to 5’11” and it looks like he has a ways to go and looks and feels great (he’s still pretty thin). I wish to thank all of you who prayed for his wellbeing. I also to wish to thank God for his mercy on my boy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.