ADVERTISEMENT

media bias front and center

“Whatever you have done to the least of these my brethren, you have done unto me.”

—Jesus

Agreed. Go to the border and provide for the needy. Go to their countries of origin and build homes, provide fresh water, help the hungry.

Reactions: travster23
https://abcnews.go.com/US/asylum-seekers-us-border/story?id=54835812

"Under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the 1967 protocol, and adopted into U.S. law, the U.S. must recognize refugees that fear persecution and are not able to get help from their home country.

Anyone who declares they are seeking asylum at a U.S. port of entry is then moved to undergo a secondary interview, during which another customs official must confirm the credible fear claim.

The asylum seeker is placed in a holding area before being transferred to a separate detention facility under Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody, while he or she awaits a hearing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services called adjudication.

Adjudicators, who are often judges, decide if the person is allowed to stay in the United States under refugee status."

All of these people want to talk about following laws, well coming to the border and asking for asylum is not illegal since we adopted the above protocol.

"Obey the government, for God is the one who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow."

- Paul
So that means slavery was cool?

Or that when soldiers are ordered to kill people and put them in concentration camps in North Korea, that’s cool?

People who this verse to justify atrocities committed by the government are the worst hypocrites of all.

Reactions: Chef Gambino

Or that when soldiers are ordered to kill people and put them in concentration camps in North Korea, that’s cool?

People who this verse to justify atrocities committed by the government are the worst hypocrites of all.
You are the one that started posting irrelevant bible verses. I don't think Paul was right there. I don't thing God places governments in power. I was just countering your stupid point with one of my own to show you how easy it is to take a tiny piece of something and make it fit your narrative.

You are the one that started posting irrelevant bible verses. I don't think Paul was right there. I don't thing God places governments in power. I was just countering your stupid point with one of my own to show you how easy it is to take a tiny piece of something and make it fit your narrative.
Irrelevant? Whatever.

Do you think that what is happening is moral and just? Do you think it represents the ideals of the US?

I don’t. I think it’s reprehensible and shameful.

Reactions: agdoc716
It's not about whether or not to enforce laws, it's about the approach to take when enforcing those laws. In the past families have been kept together in detention facilities. It has nothing to do with whether or not illegal immigrants should be detained.

What's hilarious here is Trump saying he can do nothing about this, when his party controls all three branches of government.
Learn how government works my friend....

The senate requires 60 votes to pass a law - which means SOME democrats have to vote for it. Unfortunately they do nothing but obstruct ANYTHING that Trump pushes forward - you get ZERO votes from the dems. The house has sent MANY good bills to the senate where it ultimately dies because the democrats love to filibuster and use your point above on ignorant Americans who think that it's voted as a law by a majority. Even if we did have 9 democrats support it, that would also require a unanimous vote by the Republicans which is more and more difficult as there is a conservative and ultra conservative branch of the party.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is actually a tactic to get rid of Sessions so that Trump can end one of his three legal problems.

Learn how government works my friend....

The senate requires 60 votes to pass a law - which means SOME democrats have to vote for it. Unfortunately they do nothing but obstruct ANYTHING that Trump pushes forward - you get ZERO votes from the dems. The house has sent MANY good bills to the senate where it ultimately dies because the democrats love to use your point above on ignorant Americans who think that it's voted as a law by a majority. Even if we did have 9 democrats support it, that would also require a unanimous vote by the Republicans which is more and more difficult as there is a conservative and ultra conservative branch of the party.

How Are Laws Made?
Laws begin as ideas. First, a representative sponsors a bill. The bill is then assigned to a committee for study. If released by the committee, the bill is put on a calendar to be voted on, debated or amended. If the bill passes by simple majority (218 of 435), the bill moves to the Senate. In the Senate, the bill is assigned to another committee and, if released, debated and voted on. Again, a simple majority (51 of 100) passes the bill. Finally, a conference committee made of House and Senate members works out any differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill. The resulting bill returns to the House and Senate for final approval. The Government Printing Office prints the revised bill in a process called enrolling. The President has 10 days to sign or veto the enrolled bill.

https://www.house.gov/the-house-explained/the-legislative-process

It's weird that this says 51 when I see the 60 vote rule mentioned most places

Last edited:
Irrelevant? Whatever.

Do you think that what is happening is moral and just? Do you think it represents the ideals of the US?

I don’t. I think it’s reprehensible and shameful.
It's a pretty simple fix. The President has said many times that he wants a fix for immigration laws. He offered the democrats full amnesty for DACA kids in exchange for funding the border wall. They said no. They would rather have this be a political talking point than actually fix it.

this is what I don't understand about a lot of this immigration stuff.

_101103435_mexico_caravan_migrants_route_640-nc.png

So this caravan of people were in such a bad place that they needed to flee from and the only hope for them was to go to California? I go to Mexico on vacations and I'm sure it's a safe place to live and find a job and all that other stuff. It's not some war torn country. Yes it has some cartel issues but we are told that is not that big of a deal and no reason for Americans to not travel to Mexico. Mexico has major cities and economic centers. Plenty of churches to take care of and tend to the poor. But that is not an option and America is the only place for a chance at life?

so you admit, taking bible verses out of context to make political hay is hilariously stupid?

Reactions: darterbury
It's a pretty simple fix. The President has said many times that he wants a fix for immigration laws. He offered the democrats full amnesty for DACA kids in exchange for funding the border wall. They said no. They would rather have this be a political talking point than actually fix it.

Why do we need funding? Mexico is paying for the wall. But hey, kids in exchange for a wall...that’s not a political talking point.

I will add that I was just in Cancun a few months ago and the guy that picked us up at the airport and drove us to the resort we got to talking to. He was actually an immigrant from el salvador and has been in Mexico now for many years. So this guy didn't need to walk to the US border and sit outside a crossing facility for weeks seeking asylum. He somehow made a life in Mexico.

Reactions: Rocksolid
Whether it’s a simple fix or not is irrelevant.

Jeff Sessions instituted this policy, at the direction of Donald Trump. That was an immoral act that never should have been taken. It’s abhorrent that they and others think that doing this to force Congressional action is a reasonable tactic. Their abject cruelty knows no bounds.

Shame on them, and shame on anyone else who thinks this is ok.

How Are Laws Made?
Laws begin as ideas. First, a representative sponsors a bill. The bill is then assigned to a committee for study. If released by the committee, the bill is put on a calendar to be voted on, debated or amended. If the bill passes by simple majority (218 of 435), the bill moves to the Senate. In the Senate, the bill is assigned to another committee and, if released, debated and voted on. Again, a simple majority (51 of 100) passes the bill. Finally, a conference committee made of House and Senate members works out any differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill. The resulting bill returns to the House and Senate for final approval. The Government Printing Office prints the revised bill in a process called enrolling. The President has 10 days to sign or veto the enrolled bill.

https://www.house.gov/the-house-explained/the-legislative-process

WOW. How laws are made.........?
Remember Obama care? "You have to vote for it to be able to see it"--Nancy Pelosi.
Work out the differences, are you kidding me? Stupid ass Chuckie Schumer isn't working out anything. IMO

https://abcnews.go.com/US/asylum-seekers-us-border/story?id=54835812

"Under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the 1967 protocol, and adopted into U.S. law, the U.S. must recognize refugees that fear persecution and are not able to get help from their home country.

Anyone who declares they are seeking asylum at a U.S. port of entry is then moved to undergo a secondary interview, during which another customs official must confirm the credible fear claim.

The asylum seeker is placed in a holding area before being transferred to a separate detention facility under Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody, while he or she awaits a hearing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services called adjudication.

Adjudicators, who are often judges, decide if the person is allowed to stay in the United States under refugee status."

All of these people want to talk about following laws, well coming to the border and asking for asylum is not illegal since we adopted the above protocol.

I think the law requires a "credible fear of prosecution"

Do we even know what is true or factual anymore? The division amongst us fellow Ags shows that our government will never agree or solve problems together either.

WOW. How laws are made.........?
Remember Obama care? "You have to vote for it to be able to see it"--Nancy Pelosi.
Work out the differences, are you kidding me? Stupid ass Chuckie Schumer isn't working out anything. IMO
Look, everyone, first stab at whataboutism on this thread!

Do you think two wrongs make a right?

Reactions: mwgreen12
Look, everyone, first stab at whataboutism on this thread!

Do you think two wrongs make a right?
It's also another example of taking a quote out of context

"Most importantly, the contents of the Affordable Care Act had been publicly available and publicly debated for months, when Pelosi made her remarks in March 2010. The bill, in its original form, was passed by the House of Representatives in October 2009, and in the Senate that December. Although the bill was unusually long (the act runs to 906 pages in the legislative record, with many more pages of regulations) its contents had been subjected to intensive debate and scrutiny in both houses of Congress."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pelosi-healthcare-pass-the-bill-to-see-what-is-in-it/

"Most importantly, the contents of the Affordable Care Act had been publicly available and publicly debated for months, when Pelosi made her remarks in March 2010. The bill, in its original form, was passed by the House of Representatives in October 2009, and in the Senate that December. Although the bill was unusually long (the act runs to 906 pages in the legislative record, with many more pages of regulations) its contents had been subjected to intensive debate and scrutiny in both houses of Congress."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pelosi-healthcare-pass-the-bill-to-see-what-is-in-it/
In before someone says that snopes has liberal bias and is run by Soros

Perfect..exactly the problem.
When the Dems say something stupid it's taken out of context. When a conservative says something out of context he is a racist, bigot, or hates old people....IMO

Reactions: tdogdfw
This is really very simple: Trump, in a terrible attempt at political hardball is using this to try and force the democrats to fund his stupid wall idea. Regardless of when the laws were written - this has always been considered a nuclear option and was not used by previous administrations. No matter what Trump is saying, this is all his doing and he could stop it today if he wanted to. But that wont get him his funding.

All you guys need to do is take off the blinders and realize that if this ever happened to ONE SINGLE American child in a foreign country, we'd invade their country. It is cruel and inhuman to use children as a political carrot. "Laws being enforced" is a completely baseless claim. A policeman can arrest someone for stealing by placing his hands in cuffs. Or he can slam his face into the pavement - kick him a few times, then place him in cuffs. Both are "enforcing the law" if you can't see the difference you are too far into the president's ass to realize a stupid policy when you see one.

Perfect..exactly the problem.
When the Dems say something stupid it's taken out of context. When a conservative says something out of context he is a racist, bigot, or hates old people....IMO
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you didn't click the link.

Do we even know what is true or factual anymore? The division amongst us fellow Ags shows that our government will never agree or solve problems together either.
WE know that ~2k kids have been taken from their parents at the border. We know that the president has the power to stop the practice immediately.

The constitution covers U.S. citizens, these people are not.

It's wrong to separate them, send them back together.
We have higher ideals than saying that someone doesn’t have human rights because of the citizenship. The Constitution applies to anyone being prosecuted in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT