ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Agenda & Whats Going To Change

This is meant to be a realistic post: We’re not firing Jimbo.

Darrell Dickey is retiring. Who the hell knows what he’s been doing anyway.

We know we are getting a new OC soon.

Durkin gets another year, despite the defense taking a major step back this year.

The good takeaway - the coaching staff now has 0 leverage to keep the status quo. Tonight was a pathetic display in every phase of the game outside of special teams.

New Offensive Line Coach ✅
New Offensive Coordinator/play caller ✅
New LB Coach - should but won’t happen
Reactions: AggieTom2000

Halftime observations

The Aggies trail at the half in the ineptitude bowl, and have earned exactly where they are. Stupid, undisciplined play and horrible coaching get you here.

Conner Weigman hasn't been bad. He's done better than the other QBs would. But he's under constant pressure again, and he's had to run to move the ball. We've had two holds and a false start on the offensive line or blockers, and two of those wiped out big plays.
Le'Veon Moss and Amari Daniels are a long way from Devon Achane. Moss is averaging less than 2 yards a rush, Daniels less than 4. Weigman leads the team with 25 yards rushing. Of course, it's hard to expect them to do much when Auburn has 9 guys in the box. The line play is just so terrible. Trey Zuhn just can't get out and block speed rushers. It's like watching Dan Moore 5 years ago. Layden Robinson is getting battered. Fatheree is good for a couple of penalties per game.

I don't know where Moose Muhammad is, but he'd either better be sick or hurt because if he's not playing just because, it's ludicrous. Without Donovan Green and Muhammad, Evan Stewart is getting doubled over the top. Devin Price is doing ok, but he's not Moose. He also got screwed on what should have pass interference on the first drive.

Jalen Preston can't see the field again. He just can't.

Defensively -- what can you say? The foolishness is on both the coaches and the players. Hey, let's run a 3-man front with 6 DBs against a team that has thrown the ball twice! Ok, watch that team run right up the gut. This is elementary stuff. If you're going to sit and do that and not attack up the middle, forget it. You're dead. And, once again, it's like a miracle -- AFTER you give up 100 yards rushing in the 1st quarter, behold! Four-man front. It's ridiculous.

The lack of discipline is just horrible. A&M will actually diagnose a play and crash down on one side, and Auburn runs the other way where containment on the edge has been completely lost. Jacoby Mathews did that once and it was a big play out of what should have been a 3rd down loss. A couple of other guys did the same thing. This is basic crap. Don't give up the edge. Ever. Force it back inside.

Shemar Turner...WHAT? That play screwed A&M out of a chance at a final drive of the half. If they weren't desperate for bodies, I'd put him on the bench and leave him there. And I am a big fan of his talent. But he's done stuff like that several times this year and got away with it. Not this time.

In spite of it all, Auburn sucks too. If A&M can actually stop the run, they've got a chance at winning. But they have to play with some passion, some discipline and call the offense and defense like they're in 2022. Then, maybe, they can do something.

Jimbo

Do any of you feel this is intentional at this point?

I feel he doesn’t like being told what to do and is pushing back against the pressure of bringing in someone else to call the plays….

Suspending Moose for wearing sleeves cost us this game…..

I’m ready to move completely on from Jimbo….not just a bandage hiring an OC but completely…..watching the postgame interview was more of the same garbage.
Reactions: dirtysouthman

The targeting rule - FYI and for the announcers that don’t know the rules

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact
With the Crown of the Helmet

ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of their helmet. The crown of the helmet is the top segment of the helmet; namely, the circular area defined by a 6-inch radius from the apex (top) of the helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head
or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
Launch. A player leaving their feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:
• A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass. This includes an offensive player in a passing posture with focus downfield.
• A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
• A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
• A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
• A player on the ground.
• A player obviously out of the play.
• A player who receives a blind-side block.
• A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward
progress has been stopped.
• A quarterback any time after a change of possession
• A ball carrier who has obviously given themselves up and is sliding
feet-first.

Jimbo may have quit too

When things have gotten so bad that, ESPN is openly calling you out (Jordan Rodgers) , it seems that Jimbo has given up. I realize that’s not a contractual breach, but there has to be something going on. Or room to negotiate based on these last few games. Jimbo is almost intentionally sabotaging games going away from Achane, tempo with CW, no mid field routes, playing Jalen or Trey Z at this point, letting Durkin run 3 man fronts.

It feels like Jimbo has stopped trying to fix it.
Reactions: hogtide

***A&M-Auburn game thread***

Injury updates:
Antonio Johnson is in. Donovan Green is out. So are Devon Achane and Chase Lane. Waiting for word on a few other guys.
Weigman will start, and Stowers looks like he's the primary backup. King is dressed and warming, but I don't think they want to use him if they can avoid it.

Your running backs are three: Moss, Daniels and Crownover. I don't care what Jimbo has said, I'm pretty sure LJ Johnson will never suit up for A&M again.
Reactions: h273 and marc92&94

Conspiracy theories anyone?

I for one refuse to believe the players are this bad. I doubt a high performing high school team could be this bad but yet here we are. Someone already mentioned, Jimbo is trying to get fired, or maybe a case of blackmail that would threaten his guaranteed contract. How about the sips are already padding the pockets of the SEC to sink our program before 2025? I have a hard time accepting the program has fallen apart this quickly without some external factor. What ya think?

Aggie Hoops Thoughts

Two games in this team appears far more competent than last year’s and more ready to play. There are some things to work out with rotations and taking care of the ball but they seem on the same page defensively and more intentional on offense,

Player Thoughts:
Wade Taylor seems to be the most competent scorer at this point. He’s shooting lights out and is taking care of the ball better.

Tyrece Radford is expected to the be the guy on offense. He gets to the line and can get to the hoop. He’s been less assertive overall but last night when the Ags needed a bucket he drove and picked up an and one to push the lead up.

Dexter Dennis is a great defender. I’ve been impressed with his three point shooting to this point.

Manny Obaseki looks like the same player. He will have some games where he’s unstoppable but overall I don’t see much change to this point.

Henry Coleman works his ass off and generates points off that. He does look a little sloppy catching the ball and has been stripped or blocked more than I’d like.

Solomon Washington is young and seems to be finding his way. I think he will be good but right now it’s a little bit of a mess. Bad fouls, pressing on offense. Do think he will be really good.

Hugh Hefner has improved greatly. His shot looks good. His offensive game looks very much improved. You can tell he worked a lot in the off-season. Still too skinny.

Julius Marble is tough post who can hit the mid range bumper and has good moves 15 feet in. He is a guy the Aggies might lean on down the stretch of a close game.

Andersson Garcia is a long defender. Not as springy as I’d hope and picks up bad fouls trying to do too much. Still he’s very active and works hard so hard to be too critical.

KK Robinson has some athleticism and talent. He’s sloppy with the ball and not the best decision maker. Can get to the FT line. If he can tighten his game up he could really contribute.

Andre Gordon seems Ike the odd man out. Been with the program forever. I’m sure he’s a great guy and a team leader. Just not sure he should be in the floor much.

Javonte Brown- five fouls if you need them.

Biggest strengths- team cohesiveness, culture, depth.

Biggest weakness- no bona fide star to carry you when your team is off. Wade Taylor may be getting there but if his shot is off then what? Radford needs to that guy I’m thinking.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT