ADVERTISEMENT

A&M Never Considered Firing Jimbo

Interesting mostly because it includes a precise breakdown of how much we owe Jimbo every year until the contract ends. The writer says there's no way he's fired till 2028 at the earliest.

• Wow
Reactions: ABell

Anyone else getting a little exhausted with the OC search?

I know I am. It started out that we were going to hire someone quickly. Top targets had been contacted and there was interest. Then we go to the process of waiting for the pot to boil. I guess the benefit to the administration is if it goes on long enough, we'll just be going fkn hire somebody, anybody. Anyway, that's all, please carry on with your Saturday.

SKIDBITS

Good afternoon, AY'ers!!

As the new interim OC and being, obviously, the most powerful individual associated with the university, I will be presenting info to you that possibly only I could come up with.

I'll start off with what has everyone buzzing. The rumor of Bobby Petrino being considered for the OC position.

MADE YOU BLINK!

hahahahahahaha

Anyway, that was fun.

How many backs will we use next year?
Right now I am planning on using Moss, Daniels and Owens in a variety of sets, including some 2-back sets, sometimes with one going in motion. There will be more use of a fullback and formations with two TE's, with one or both shifting out wide.

I look forward to burning up the middle of the field with slot receivers running quick slants, TE's dragging underneath, and backs flowing through the line into vacancies left by LB's.

I will use the WR's to do what they are born to do.............stretch the field. They will do this with routes that I decide on, not what the defense dictates by giving a look then switching coverage at the snap.

There will be times when I run the same damn formation 5 plays in a row, and every play will be different, but the D won't have a read. And there will be times when there is a play the D ain't stopping, so I won't quit running it.

Concerns in the early signing period and transfer portal, in order of importance:

4 LB's
2 OT's
QB
2 CB
3 WR
OG that loves to ear-hole DT's when trap blocking.
Best available athlete.

Other areas to address.

It is imperative to find the next Cullen Gillaspia. This team needs that player as much as anything right now. The guy that truly is the heartbeat of the team. Bought in. Leaves it all on the field, regardless of his role.

I'm sending Cheeky to meet Durkin in Bottle Cap Alley at 8:00 tomorrow evening to work out our concerns about the 3-man front. This discussion is long overdue.

Sorry this is short (sounds like one of TP97's lines), but I have some other things I'm working on concerning cheerlea........I mean The Salvation Army.

Donovan Wilson Getting Some Nice Press

Donovan Wilson’s versatility for Cowboys is earning NFL’s respect one week at a time

The 2019 sixth-round pick has helped solidify a safety position that was once a pressure point for the Dallas front office. (Dallas Morning News)

Dallas Cowboys safety Malik Hooker (28) and safety Donovan Wilson (6) combined to make a...

Dallas Cowboys safety Malik Hooker (28) and safety Donovan Wilson (6) combined to make a third down stop of the Indianapolis Colts during the second half at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, December 4, 2022.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)
By Calvin Watkins
6:00 AM on Dec 10, 2022

FRISCO — The hard-hitting style of Cowboys safety Donovan Wilson was developed when he was playing Pop Warner football in Shreveport, La.
Wilson was just a kid, not the 6-foot, 200-pound leading tackler for the Cowboys that he is now. Yet Wilson, a man with many nicknames, got his first one thanks to those formative years in Shreveport based on his style of play: He was called Manic.

“I feel like they installed that in us early,” he said of his youth football coaches.

The team was called the Express, and Wilson, wearing No. 50, played defensive end.

He has since moved on to safety, becoming one of the top players at his position in the NFL.
Not only is Wilson leading the Cowboys in tackles (85), but he’s tied for the NFL lead with four sacks among defensive backs with Chargers safety Derwin James.

If Wilson records a sack in Sunday’s game against the Texans, he ties former Cowboys safety Bill Bates for the most sacks by a defensive back in a season in franchise history.
It’s Wilson’s ability to rush the passer through rush lanes in the middle of the defensive line or off the edge that allows defensive coordinator Dan Quinn to have versatility. He’s also one of the Cowboys’ better open-field tacklers.

“Black is a different breed,” defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence said of Wilson, calling him by another nickname. “That’s something you can’t coach, especially the safety position coming downhill and setting guys on fire like he do. We call him Black for a reason.”

So it’s because when he hits you the opponent gets knocked out? Is it because he’s so quick you can’t see him?
“I don’t know about a blur,” Lawrence said. “But the way he shoots his gaps and make his plays, yeah, I’m glad you’re on my team. Oh yeah.”

One player who found out quickly about the benefit of having Wilson on the same side is rookie tight end Peyton Hendershot. During the first Organized Team Activity in the spring, Wilson and Hendershot almost got into a fight. They were doing one-on-one drills and Wilson wasn’t backing down. Nor was Hendershot.

“I didn’t know who Dono was until my first two weeks here, and me and him were in OTAs and we kinda got after it,” Hendershot said. “We almost fought in practice. That was my first thing with Dono. OK, he’s a smaller guy, he still stands his ground and gets dirty with it. I didn’t know who he was. Now I know.”

The two continued their battles throughout the summer especially when the Cowboys got to Denver for a joint practice in August.
“I remember that,” Wilson said. “It was good work between us, a lot of respect.”

Hendershot isn’t the only tight end on the team who has noticed Wilson. “You don’t see smaller DBs laying the boom like that,” tight end Jake Ferguson said. “I know we don’t go against him or [do] game-planning against him, but I do know when you do go against a guy like that it changes the way you catch the ball and your demeanor after your catch. You’re catching that ball, you’re putting two hands on it and tucking it away, you’re not swinging it around. Your head is on a swivel for No. 6.

“When you play guys like that it ups it up a little bit more, and you know, especially as a tight end, guys are not going to hit you up high but Dono will.”
The respect Wilson receives at The Star will be tested in free agency. Wilson becomes an unrestricted free agent next spring, and for a 2019 sixth-round pick, the man who’s held nicknames ranging from Manic, Dono, DonoBlack and Black, he expects to cash in.

“Honestly I take it one game at a time,” he said. “I don’t try and take no big picture [looks]. I take it step by step and complete my process.”
He’s part of a safety trio, Jayron Kearse and Malik Hooker being the others, that’s solidified the position. For years, finding quality safeties was a pressure point on the Cowboys’ front office, as they sought quality help.

With the versatility of the safeties, there is no worrying about that position, particularly with Wilson, who plays strong safety. “Shoot, I love the way he plays,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “You talk about a magnet for the football, loves contact, his intensity. I mean, he’s as good as a ball-hawker, particularly extractor that I’ve been around; the way he separates offensive perimeter players away from the football. So, he’s the same guy every day. That’s something I’m just a huge fan of.”

Dallas Cowboys safety Donovan Wilson (6) sacks Indianapolis Colts quarterback Matt Ryan (2)...
Dallas Cowboys safety Donovan Wilson (6) sacks Indianapolis Colts quarterback Matt Ryan (2) during the second quarter at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, December 4, 2022.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

Modifications to Portal rules?

What changes would you like to see to the rules governing the portal. One simple rule change would be this: If a player started, or played significant time during a season for the team he’s on, he could only portal if he sat out one year at the new school. This requirement could be waived if there was a head coaching change. This modification would allow coaches to plan rosters better and build depth and experience, not to mention allowing them to better plan recruiting for need. Today’s free for all simply creates chaos. What other modifications to the portal rules would improve it?

Apparently posted the wrong Dec LOI signing date for football

Previously I had posted Dec 9 based upon google as the Early Signing date but saw a couple of articles and took another look.
It says....
Nov. 9 is the first day of the 2022-23 national signing period for all sports except football. The early signing period for football begins on Dec. 21. Our list is based on information provided by athletic directors and coaches, and will be updated all day.

I think I had noted this to Reckless who questioned if it was a later date than normal.........apparently it is.

and if gives time for Jimbo to come up with an OC........

I did see a number of articles that blasted that Bobby might be the one......have to say, that would not be my choice........
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT