ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
(Courtney will have some recruiting stuff in a bit, but I wanted to get this posted while I could)

Scholarship situation will get dicey in 2022

When the NCAA announced Wednesday that this upcoming season would not count against the eligibility of fall student-athletes no matter how much they actually played, a lot of people missed a critical part: seniors would not count against scholarship limits in 2021. In other words, schools can take a full class in 2021 and have more than 85 scholarship players, but they would only have to count the non-seniors. That makes it easy for the 2021 class, but what about 2022? That’s where things would likely get a little more dicey. Basically, the eligibility freeze for 2020 will mean nobody advances this year, meaning you’ll have freshmen who play a full season and are still freshmen. More importantly, juniors who would be seniors will still be juniors. Now, some of these things will work themselves out — you’ll have third-year sophomores or juniors declaring for the draft, for instance. But that may not be the case for everyone. The other problem is whether schools can even afford to pay for the extra year of eligibility, especially with athletic budgets being devastated.

Long story short: the freeze on 2020 eligibility is a short-term fix that may have long-term consequences. Programs who can somehow afford to keep some seniors around will benefit; others may find themselves at a competitive disadvantage next year and several years in the future.

Clarity may already have arrived with the O-line two-deep
Due to our inability to actually see practice this year, we’re kind of a disadvantage at figuring out who’s with the first and second teams so far. But we have been able to at least get a little bit of an idea — especially with the offensive line.

After listening to coach Jimbo Fisher the other day, it’s pretty clear that Kenyon Green is getting set up to play tackle next season — which pretty much everyone expected. But he’s also effectively the backup left tackle to Dan Moore right now. Someone else (Chris Morris, in all likelihood) will show up on the depth chart, but if something serious happens to Moore, Green would move over.

The starters are set: Moore, Green, Ryan McCollum at center, Jared Hocker at right guard and Carson Green at right tackle. Those of you hoping for competition are going to be disappointed. Fisher said without equivocation McCollum is the starting center for 2020, which pretty much ended any questions about the starting five.

The second five is a little different. Green is the backup at left tackle for all intents and purposes; Aki Ogunbiyi will likely back him up at left guard. Luke Matthews will back up McCollum, and Layden Robinson is the probably backup at right guard. Blake Trainor is healthy, back on the field and backing up at right tackle.

D-line, especially Leal, look impressive

Outside of Tyree Johnson coming in as a pass rusher, we’re not sure what the backups will look like on the defensive line. But one thing’s pretty clear: the starting front four is impressing. During his initial comments for the camp, Fisher said he thought team speed was much improved this year — and made a point to say not just with the skill positions. From what little we’ve seen and more of what we’ve heard, the defensive line is definitely faster. Micheal Clemons is one player we’ve heard has increased his speed (check out the clips from last night if you need validation), and DeMarvin Leal is just a monster. He’s 6-foot-5, 290 pounds and nearly all muscle. He’s both stronger and faster than he was during his freshman season, and he more than held his own against upperclassmen the second half of the year. With his ability to play both inside (against the pass) and out, odds are he’s very rarely coming off the field.

Smith filling his new role nicely

Running back Ainias Smith is another player who continues to draw raves. Smith is working as the number 2 back right now, behind Isaiah Spiller, but has gotten some first team reps as well. Fisher said he defines Smith as a “football player” not a guy at a certain position. The Aggies will likely use Smith in multiple ways, as many of you have expected: running back, receiver out of the backfield, slot receiver and returner. Fisher said he could even be a very good corner if he was switched to defense — but they’re not doing that.

Other camp notes

Baylor Cupp is fully healthy and has taken first team reps, in spite of the presence of Jalen Wydermyer. That duo is probably as good as any in the nation.

Brian George has taken reps as a kick returner. He was exceptional in the JUCO ranks in that role. It stands to reason Devon Achane will as well, but we haven’t seen it yet. We’ll try to ask Jimbo about it Sunday, during his next media availability.

In spite of missing all of last season, Hezekiah Jones has moved back in as the backup to Jhamon Ausbon. Honestly, that’s a bit of a surprise, but it’s still very early in camp and there should be competition there.

Haynes King may not have had the senior season he’d have liked, but he’s looked really good so far since arriving on campus. He’s not a threat to Kellen Mond, but he and Zach Calzada could have a really good battle on their hands next season.

SEC increases testing standards and requirements, surpassing NCAA mandates

The SEC isn’t messing around when it comes to testing for COVID or related heart conditions. From their statement this morning: “The SEC’s initial medical response plan for confirmed infected individuals called for a cardiac evaluation for those individuals returning to activity following isolation. The SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force has now specified the cardiac evaluation would mandate a troponin level, electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and a medical evaluation by a physician.

In addition, as part of the SEC’s COVID-19 management requirements announced previously, SEC members committed to enhanced testing that includes a minimum of two PCR tests per week during weeks of competition. The SEC, at the recommendation of the Task Force, has now confirmed a third rapid diagnostic test will be performed each week close to competition for sports with a high risk of close contact.”

Bear Alexander preparing to announce his finalists (Courtney)

Denton (Texas) Ryan’s Keithian Alexander has been an A&M target before “Bear” Alexander jumped onto the recruiting scene. Texas A&M’s Elijah Robinson has been recruiting the four-star defensive tackle since his freshman year, and it is easy to see why. In the recent Rivals 2022 rankings release Alexander came in at No. 15 nationally and 3rd at his position.

“He’s the highest-ranked four-star right now for a reason and he’s a beast from anywhere on the defensive line,” said Mike Farrell.

In a loaded defensive tackle group, Alexander could be vying for that five-star status through his junior season, and COVID has not stopped him from improving his game.

“Being back around the team and perfecting my craft is always amazing,” said Alexander. “It’s been different not being able to hug our brothers, my teammates, so it’s something we all are getting use to.”

One thing that has not changed is the intensity at which the schools are recruiting Bear Alexander.

“Every school was showing a lot of love during that time,” Said Alexander. “Then shutting things down I feel like it will reopen because a lot of people want to see football go on.”

Specifically as far as A&M goes, Alexander’s relationship with the Aggies has made a big impact.

"With Coach Elijah (Robinson), he's fired up,” said Alexander. “He was my second offer and he saw the talent before anyone else did. He's already narrowed down a plan for me now. When the guys leave, he sees me rolling in there starting at the 3-technique. In three years, he'll send me off to the NFL. When he got there, they didn't have a guy drafted since 2008 or something, so he immediately put together a plan for me and he's ready to execute it. He built a plan for me into college and wants to take over when I get there and finish it out."

Currently Alexander is working on narrowing things down.

“A list will be coming out shortly,” he said. “We are narrowing it all down.”

AY Prediction: A&M, Ole Miss, Baylor, Texas and Florida will make the cut.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.