ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Hearing this is going to happen very quickly - as in as early as next week. BOR has approved the package and Jimbo has agreed to cede all control of the offense to the new OC - including coaching staff.

I expect Longo from UNC to be the guy; with Riley from TCU as a close 2nd.

I also expect Jimbo to have 2 years (as in he’s been told) maximum to be relevant or be terminated.

Halftime observations

If there was any question if the Aggies would come out with energy and play for themselves and their coach, they seem to have answered it. That was a solid half, especially on offense.

First, what a difference Devon Achane makes. He needed 113 yards to get over 1,000 and he passed it in the first half. HIs ability to stop, find a hole and immediately get up to speed makes him special. And he's running through an awful lot of LSU tacklers. I hate to say it, but this could be his NFL draft film. Tonight alone.

The offensive line has looked...good? The right side of the line especially. After all the flack he's taken so far this season, Deuce Fatheree is wiping people out. Layden Robinson has also been really good. The Aggies have been using a lot of two-tight end sets with Donovan Green and Jake Johnson, and both have blocked well. Dono has a couple of catches, including a touchdown, but Jake has also been the primary target on several plays. But they've been waiting for Jake, for the most part.
But, back to the O-line. They've been getting off the snap and just bashing LSU up front. We haven't heard from Harold Perkins at all, except when he was hurt. No sacks allowed, but a lot of that has to do with Weigman. Most importantly, A&M has picked up 4 3rd downs on 3rd and short.

The wideouts have been largely limited to Evan Stewart and Moose. No problem. Moose has a couple of great catches and Stewart has been money too. Moose is getting open over the middle and Stewart has been making strong receptions in heavy coverage.

And Conner Weigman. 9-12 for 82 yards and a touchdown, and two first downs with his legs. He's seen the holes open up and he's hit them. As he did against Ole Miss, he's not hesitating. He's getting the ball, sees an open player and gets the ball out. He's been decisive and gutsy. Also, the gameplan has been -- gulp -- pretty strong. A lot of motion, bootlegs and rollouts allowing for Weigman to get to the edge.

A&M is 8 of 9 on 3rd downs.

On defense, LSU only has 64 rush yards. That's pretty hard to believe, but A&M has gotten them in positions where they need to throw. And that's where the problems have been. For whatever reason, the secondary is playing extremely soft and giving big cushions to the LSU wideouts. That is a big no-no.
One thing that they are doing differently tonight is their use of Enai White and Malick Sylla. Both guys have dropped into coverage against LSU's running backs, and have done pretty well. I still don't like it, though, if you're not getting much pressure.
That has been a massive frustration. LSU is 125th in sacks allowed and it wasn't until the last drive of the half that the Aggies got anywhere near Jayden Daniels. They need to be in his face all the time. They've done a good job of limiting him in the running game -- Edgerrin Cooper is spying him -- but blitzes are being picked up way too easily. They're blitzing AJ a ton, but LSU is waiting for it. They need to mix it up.

The key now is to keep the momentum. A&M gets the ball to start the second half and if they can get some more points, LSU is going to start to feel the pressure if they don't already. The Aggies need to continue to be aggressive on both sides of the ball and can't rest for a second. But they're in this thing and have a shot of taking it home.

That win was HUGE on so many levels!

Yes, we need a dynamic OC for next season and you can bet the change is coming soon.

Yes, we absolutely need a new top notch O-Line coach...and I'm fairly certain we're going to get one.

Yes, this season sucked worse than any season I've endured since I started following Aggie Football in 1973.

All of that being said, this win not only helps going forward with recruiting but also unites these young freshmen to make the thought of hitting the portal not so certain. We'll lose some and that would have happened regardless of how the season went but this huge win shows them they can compete and win against any team going forward...AT A&M! Get the best NIL deals...AT A&M!

Now it's wait and see what changes take place...and I'm confident changes are coming very soon!

Soak it up, Ags! That was a "game changer" of a win!
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT