Damn…

Reactions: 84aggiect

TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

OC update

I keep hearing two things on this front: one, that there are three likely candidates and two, it'll be done quickly. There's no definition of quickly, but it stands to reason that it could (should?) mean by the end of next week.
The three candidates, as you've guessed, are Garrett Riley of TCU, Jeff Grimes at Baylor and Phil Longo of UNC. I have heard that there have been discussions with Riley and that many around the program want him, but I don't know if Jimbo is one of those. Even if Riley's the guy, he's got a conference championship game tomorrow and is a bit busy.
Of the three, Grimes may be the most motivated to move. Baylor had a disappointing year, their quarterback situation isn't very good right now and Dave Aranda already sent the DC packing. Grimes, with his experience as an SEC O-line coach and a very good schemer in the running game, checks a number of boxes. But don't take that as an indicator he has the job. If he did, I'd tell you.
Longo may not be what you'd call a compromise pick, but his scheme is a closer to what A&M runs (though not nearly as antiquated) and he's had some real big success with his quarterbacks. So all of them have strong selling points.

I have heard the name Dan Mullen thrown around some, and I think that's more wishful thinking from some older BMAs than anything. Mullen has not been an OC in 15 years, so that one just doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, his offenses at Florida were 42nd, 45th, 9th and 15th nationally in his four years in Gainesville. In his last season in Starkville, Mississippi State had the #46 offense, but was 5th in sacks allowed. They were also the #10 defense, which didn't hurt.

A couple of names for position coach or front office roles to watch

Rams RB coach Rashaad Samples reportedly wants out of LA and the NFL and wants to come back to college. The former Texas receiver (who transferred to Oklahoma State) was an outstanding recruiter at SMU, where he worked with...Garrett Riley. It's very likely A&M will make a run at Samples, possibly as a receivers or tight ends coach, should he decide he does want to come back to college. He would be a very good addition and would improve already good recruiting in and around D/FW. He killed it there during his time at SMU.

Another name I've heard, and I think this one would be more for the front office, is Marco Regalado at Rice. He currently serves as the Owls' Executive Director of Player Personnel & Recruiting Innovation, meaning he does recruiting stuff for them. Rice went 5-7 this year, which isn't great, but for them it's a huge improvement over where they've been for the past several years. Regalado is regarded as someone who has done a good job in exceedingly difficult circumstances.

A 2024 addition coming soon?

During LSU weekend, A&M hosted Alpharetta (Ga.) Milton WR Debron Gatling for a visit. I heard that the staff thought the visit went really well and Gatling has set up a commitment date for Dec. 11. Gatling is no scrub; he's got 43 offers and George and Alabama really want him. But I think that the Aggies are set to win this one, to the point where I futurecasted him today. It makes me wonder if he's already been given an idea of what's to come offensively.

Names I'd look at in the portal

First, let's establish a few positions of need. Offensive line, wide receiver, linebacker, corner and maybe (probably?) running back and quarterback. A&M has lost 9 guys to the portal so far and, while none were starters or serious stat creators, their loss still hurts in terms of depth. So here are some players who have already announced their intention to transfer that the Aggies may look at:
Oregon WR Dont'e Thornton: 17 catches, 366 yards, 1 TD in 2022
FSU DB Sam McCall: 2022 4-star S
Miami CB Al Blades Jr.: 91 tackles, 4 INT in 4-plus seasons
Alabama WR Traeshon Holden: 25 catches, 331 yards, 6 TD this season
Ole Miss WR Dannis Jackson: 12 catches, 244 yards, 2 TD in 2022
Rhode Island OL Ajani Cornelius: Sophomore offensive tackle, picked up 18 offers his first day in the portal
Nebraska LB Earnest Hausmann: 54 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack in 2022 (freshman season)
Stanford LB Levani Damuni: team-high 76 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble in 2022
Mississippi State WR Rara Thomas: 44 catches, 626 yards, 7 TD in 2022

Rivals transfer portal coverage..

The transfer portal officially opens Monday and it's already been incredibly busy. We have you covered. Rivals has all the latest news on the biggest transfers, we're now ranking every entry into the portal and we also have a message board to talk about everything portal-related.

Please use these resources to find all the breaking news and everything else when it comes to the portal:

Site: https://portal.rivals.com/

Transfer Tracker & Ranking: https://n.rivals.com/transfer_tracker/2023

Message board: https://forums.rivals.com/forums/football-transfer-portal.46/

And please follow us on social for all the breaking news: @RivalsPortal

CFP prediction

So, who do you think is in after all of the championship games are now over?

1) Georgia for sure and should be the #1 spot
2) Michigan, for the #2 spot

Does Clemson get the #3 spot or OSU?
Does TCU still have a chance to get in? Or does Bama leap frog teams to get in?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT