ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime Observations

Not bad, but really, this thing should be over.

Starting with the offense and Conner Weigman: Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all. He's 10-12 for 119 yards and 2 TDs. He's making quick decisions and getting the ball out fast. Honestly, this is what the offense should have been all year, and it makes no sense why it wasn't. But some of it is definitely Weigman being decisive. He's thrown a lot of real nice throws with a lot of zip and doesn't seem to be intimidated. His only bad series was the last one, with the two slips and throwing it to Moose in double-coverage when he had Achane in the flat for big yards and a likely field goal try. But hey, you take it and go.

Hey, Ole Miss sucks against the run. Give to Achane! And look -- they did! It's a Christmas miracle. Achane has carried 17 times for 124 yards already. He carried the ball 19 times all last week. This is what you should do. It's an Achane-centric offense and the quarterback works off of that. I don't know why it's so hard.

Gotta give a ton of credit to Kam Dewberry and Trey Zuhn. A lot of Achane's yards have been on cutbacks, taking plays designed to go right and taking them back left. Dewberry has flattened some dudes early on.

I said you needed to get the tight end involved with stick plays down the seam and behold, two for a 57 yards. Both set up touchdowns. It's amazing. Actually, amazing was Evan Stewart's touchdown catch. That was special. He and Weigman seem to have a rapport already.

The only real gripe I have offensively was the 4th down play call. That was absolutely awful and had no shot. I will never understand why they call plays that have routes that don't get beyond the sticks, especially on 4th down.

The offense has racked up 234 yards, including 115 on the ground. They've got to finish drives with points, but overall, they've done pretty well.

The defense...good Lord. First, the three man front that Ole Miss ate alive. That was mind-boggling. And the tackling has been absolutely abysmal. Ole Miss already has 195 rushing yards, and that's after a couple of drives where the defense actually showed up. The problem later in the half was Jaxson Dart running for his life and picking up big yards. That's been a big difference and kept the last drive alive.

But jeez, the tackling. Too much of the old 2013-14 shoulder hits instead of wrapping up. The linebackers (or linebacker?) are either tentative or are running themselves out of the play. They did a much better job after the first couple of drives slowing down the plays to the outside, including the passes in the flat. Tyreek Chappell, especially, has done a great job there.

McKinnley Jackson had a strong first half, getting good push and even getting a sack. There's a lot of pressure on Dart, but they've got to cut off the outside when he runs. And a few more holding calls would be nice. The only passing yardage Ole Miss has came on blown coverages, which is a far cry from last year.

The Aggies need to take this second half kickoff and shove it right down Ole Miss's throat. Make it so that the Rebels have to throw and just can't grind it out -- while you can. Make it easy for Weigman. Keep up the quick passes and run Achane. You do that and you can win this sucker.

***A&M-Arkansas game thread***

Good evening from AT&T Stadium, which remains absolute hell to get into.
A&M is wearing their home maroon jerseys with white pants; Arkansas is in all-whites with red numbers.
On the injury front, Walter Nolen is back, but McKinnley Jackson is, indeed, out. The suspended players have returned, at lest on offense. I haven't seen the secondary yet.
I'm also pretty sure Gabe Dindy is suited up.

Jimbo press conference comments

First thing he says is Haynes King "is going" Saturday. So it looks like he'll start.
The Aggies used the bye week not just to concentrate on South Carolina, but the six remaining opponents (I'm sure UMass didn't get much of a look).
He says Kam Dewberry graded out pretty well against Alabama, that things are starting to click for him and he'll be in the rotation moving forward.
Hopes the team will build from the Alabama game from a confidence standpoint, that they'll learn from the mistakes and remember the things they did right.
Says Conner Weigman is practicing well, but dodges on whether he might play against SC.
Says McKinnley Jackson made a huge difference to the performance of the defensive front.

• Poll
Daylight Savings time - Thoughts and Ideas..

What is the solution to Daylight Saving Time

• Leave it like it is!

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Full time Standard time (AKA normal time)

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Full Time DST

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Split the difference move the clock 30 mins Fwd and make it permanent

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I am retired and I don't care what time it is.

Votes: 3 4.1%

Okay well it is almost that time of year. Sunrise today was around 7:30 or so I was told (acutally I looked it up) as I rarely am up that early without a reason on a Saturday. However, I am up at about 6am M-F as the kiddos are off to school by 7am. If they were to take the bus that would pick them up that would be at about 6:30 and it is already totally dark at that time.
If we stayed on DST all year - Sunrise would be as late as 8:30 AM - Odessa TX farther west Sunrise would be at almost 9:00 AM - For Comparison.
Go up north say in the midwest just Northern Michigan then the Sunrise would slide to almost 10:00AM

It is funny how there are outliers out there - In India They are 9 hours and 30 mins ahead of us(Eastern time) - Kathmundu Nepal is 9 hours 45 mins ahead of us. Hence the option of lets split the difference.

I really don't understand why a retired person would give two shits as to what time they get up. Do what your body prefers. In about 2 more years all our kids will be in college - and I doubt I will see the sunrise very often giving me one more reason as to why I wont care what time it is and the only thing I will need to know is when is the A&M game on Saturdays - So I can plan accordingly to tune in in the 2nd quarter when we start to play.

WTF, Jimbo? What now?

Jimbo allegedly skips ESPN pre-game production meeting. All speculation in the article about the reason aside, can we just do the things we’re supposed to do?

Kyrie

He is the gift that keeps on giving. I'm not laughing because he promotes anti-Semitic material. I'm laughing because I dislike the Nets, Kyrie, KD (what a longhorn bitch), and Ben Simmons. Kyrie is basically a Kardashian with a better jumpshot at this point.

Here’s what I’ve been told re: OC

This comes from multiple well placed sources “at the highest levels of your university.” Wait, that line has been used. Scratch that. Go with VERY well-placed sources. Some of you know who they are and can back me on this.
“It’s happening. Changes are coming.” I was left with the impression that it will happen swiftly after the conclusion of the season.
Note “changes”. Not a change. If these guys are right, and it would be incredible if they’re not, there will be a new OC, a new scheme and changes at position coach.
Jimbo’s on board. I figured the desire to win would outweigh everything else and that seems to be the case.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT