ADVERTISEMENT

Not over yet - Covid

mRNA was discovered in 1957 and Moderna was founded almost 11 years ago. Some of what you're saying is accurate but it's not new technology and it's been studied for quite some time.

A crossfit trainer and gluten-free vegan walk into a bar. Who gets the first word in?

Neither. Someone in the bar had just been vaccinated.

mRNA was discovered in 1957 and Moderna was founded almost 11 years ago. Some of what you're saying is accurate but it's not new technology and it's been studied for quite some time.

Dude, you don't know what this is obviously if you made this comment. (m)RNA/DNA was yes, discovered back then. Injecting viral mRNA in a custom protein into your cells via injection is only 3-4-year-old technology and wasn't even feasible until other techs like CRISPR were invented. It was never approved by FDA for human use, until these vaccines and only provisionally.

I've read some ignorant comments on here, but this one really takes the cake.

This is like saying since we discovered the process of fusion in the sun in 1934 we should have had fusion reactors since then. Hint, we still don't have fusion reactors.

Nothing in my post was ignorant and it isn't remotely like your fusion example. We've known about mRNA for some time and Moderna, as well as many universities, have been studying the use of MRNA in vaccines for some time. Acting as if the technology is new is as disingenuous as stating that there's no risk in taking the vaccine. CRISPR II came along at the right time for society.

Reactions: st97
Nothing in my post was ignorant and it isn't remotely like your fusion example. We've known about mRNA for some time and Moderna, as well as many universities, have been studying the use of MRNA in vaccines for some time. Acting as if the technology is new is as disingenuous as stating that there's no risk in taking the vaccine. CRISPR II came along at the right time for society.

Yes it was, just because we know something exists doesn't know we immediately know how to use it. And yes, a lot of groups have been studying how to do mRNA vaccines without success for a while, it wasn't until recent technologies became available that we were able to actually make them.

The technology is new, name one other mRNA vaccine that is cleared for human use? Just one. Hell, it wasn't until 2018 that they began testing mRNA vaccines on human diseases, like Zika.

Look, I took it because I understand how it works and the risk, but I'm not going to lie to push a vaccine and completely understand why people are hesitant to take it and don't hold that against them.

Yes it was, just because we know something exists doesn't know we immediately know how to use it. And yes, a lot of groups have been studying how to do mRNA vaccines without success for a while, it wasn't until recent technologies became available that we were able to actually make them.

The technology is new, name one other mRNA vaccine that is cleared for human use? Just one. Hell, it wasn't until 2018 that they began testing mRNA vaccines on human diseases, like Zika.

Look, I took it because I understand how it works and the risk, but I'm not going to lie to push a vaccine and completely understand why people are hesitant to take it and don't hold that against them.
I think that we are talking past each other a bit. Moderna and Pfizer both knew what they had and they were confident in the technology early in the epidemic. No one is denying that the covid vaccine was approved under emergency measures. There's a Phase II Melanoma trail at MD Anderson that I'm aware of.

I think you are missing the point. That vaccine has been proven safe and effective for over 75 years of use. mRNA vaccines haven't been around for more than a few years at best. One has a long track record of use and the other is experimental.

I won't consider the vaccine until it has gone thru full clinical and FDA approval, and even then, I may not since I have had it and no studies have confirmed or denied what natural immunity I have from the virus yet.

Testing started in 1954 and it was done on school children
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/polio-vaccine-trials-begin

Reactions: clayber
I think you are missing the point. That vaccine has been proven safe and effective for over 75 years of use. mRNA vaccines haven't been around for more than a few years at best. One has a long track record of use and the other is experimental.

I won't consider the vaccine until it has gone thru full clinical and FDA approval, and even then, I may not since I have had it and no studies have confirmed or denied what natural immunity I have from the virus yet.
Man this just makes too much sense. Is anyone today taught to be a critical thinker? It is rare.

Not to mention polio vaccines were being tried since 1935, with the Salk vaccine using knowledge of past failed vaccines to perfect it. It's still by far one of the greatest miracles of modern science, but it's not like it was created, tested, and delivered in a few short years. There was a lot of testing and failures that led up to the success of the Salk vaccine by others.

The idea that we could even use mRNA wasn't proposed until 1989. They couldn't figure how to to get the delivery protein to work until 2005, and even then it was a theory, applied by Moderna in 2012 with funding from DARPA.

mRNA vaccines should, in theory, be the safest, quickest, and cheapest method of delivering vaccination and immunization, but it is far from a mature tech, as I stated, it's new, with COVID-19 vaccines being the first allowed for public use. Without the long-term data to validate it, you cannot make a claim with 100% certainty that the aforementioned qualities are true.

In the end, they may end up being world savers. The end to all pandemics due to how quickly they can be ramped up, but with the lack of data to prove the efficacy and safety, I understand why some folks would be hesitant to get it, especially if they are not at risk of death from COVID.

Ya do know that people that are fully vaccinated get covid? Also those that are fully vaccinated that get covid can still die from covid. Those that are fully vaccinated and get covid die from covid at a higher percentage rate than those that are not vaccinated.
Link?

To be fair, comparing this vaccine to smallpox, measles, TDAP, et al is disingenuous. Those vaccines took decades to develop and have 50+ years of results showing their efficacy. FDA approval alone took years, and they are all using active viral cultures. The mRNA vaccines are a new technology, emulating an active virus, and have only been tested for a few months before going live.

People hesitant to take it have logical reasons, dismissing them is naive and divisive. If they weren't legitimate, then we should argue against the point instead of making false equivalencies. It's hard to do when those concerns are legitimate and we have no answers, and won't for years. This is coming from someone who HAD COVID and got the Pfizer.
The problem I see is that getting the vaccine, like wearing a mask, became politicized.

And you should not defer to your political leanings to make health choices for you.

It’s bizarre.

The problem I see is that getting the vaccine, like wearing a mask, became politicized.

And you should not defer to your political leanings to make health choices for you.

It’s bizarre.
Very much so, if you have questions talk to your physician, not to us assholes on here or on Twitter/Facebook.

Reactions: TP97
I do need to come clean about something. I said earlier that I don’t care what people do in regards to this virus and the vaccines. And that still holds true except for one thing.

Every time I see someone walking around with a mask on now it takes every bit of my soul to squash the urge to strangle that person as I laugh hysterically while watching the life drain from their stupid face.

a3bedaa5b6da2fbf3368e0a17b4588bf.jpg

Reactions: TP97
How long did they study thalidomide?
That didn't turn out well.

I'll wait.

Congrats you didn’t die of COVID. Hopefully you didn’t spread it someone who does.

What I enjoy about this board is how many people are much more knowledgeable than all the doctors I know. Moron healthcare workers actually in the hospitals am I right?

Last edited:
Got Polio a year before Vac was out, lucky very mild case (3rd grade) Some of my HS classmates had legs 3-4 shorter than other leg.

Got all kinds of Vaccines in Army including air gun shots before VN. Worked and taught in several countries - got many vacs from an international vac clinic. Got my 2 vacs for Covid, but can’t get rest of family to get theirs.

Waiting to get Moderna cancer vacs as soon as it is out.

Reactions: st97 and bioaggie
Congrats you didn’t die of COVID. Hopefully you didn’t spread it someone who does.

What I enjoy about this board is how many people are much more knowledgeable than all the doctors I know. Moron healthcare workers actually in the hospitals am I right?
Quite the sanctimonious stance for someone who sits on their hands while hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated illegals pour over our border.

It’s bizarre.

Agreed but to be fair, it’s been equally politicized the other way when there are folks that question the need (and/or safety) of the vaccine if they’ve already had covid. I don’t really care either way - I had the virus and the vaccine.

Sorry, I do not post links. They become to argumentive about the source and not the info. If you look up breakthrough cases deaths rate, you will find the answers you seek. A short version is CDC has breakthrough death rate at 2%. The death rate of those that are not vaccinated and get covid, is less than 2%. And I will add CDC definition of fully vaccinated is two weeks after last vaccine shot. So those that die from covid in those two weeks count on none vaccinated cases. We are not even talking about deaths from bad reactions to the vaccines. We have to take CDC numbers with a grain of salt, we know they try to make the numbers go with the narrative that is being pushed. They have stopped publishing the breakthrough cases. Only the breakthrough cases that get hospitalized or result in deaths. The death rate for breakthrough has most likely increased since end of May when CDC stopped publishing breakthrough cases and deaths have increased substantially.

Quite the sanctimonious stance for someone who sits on their hands while hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated illegals pour over our border.
If someone supports vaccinations they must also grab a pitch fork and head to the rio grande?

Man that’s weird.

There are many that disagree and everyone has career to be concerned about.

Sorry, I do not post links. They become to argumentive about the source and not the info.

That’s precisely why you post a link to the source. Facts are facts but so far, you’ve made statements as fact that are not supported by sources. I would love to believe you but I have no way of knowing if you’ve simply pulled this out of your ass.

If someone supports vaccinations they must also grab a pitch fork and head to the rio grande?

Man that’s weird.
If either of you gave two shits about covid, you’d be furious about what’s coming over our border. But this isn’t about covid for either of you.

you’re not anti-covid, you’re pro-vaccine as part of your virtue signaling circle jerk.

and for the record, I don’t think the vaccine is a scam, conspiracy, or anything else but an attempt at a vaccine. I’ve never once advised anyone that wanted it to not to get it.

Last edited:
If either of you gave two shits about covid, you’d be furious about what’s coming over our border. But this isn’t about covid for either of you.
You can’t do both? So you’re pro Covid and anti illegal immigration. I personally don’t care for either.

I guess you probably can’t be against both when you’re beholden to Fox News and don’t use independent thought.

Tell us now about how Covid was some ploy to win an election and it’s all going away on Nov whatever or January whatever or how masks aren’t ever going away though they have or whatever stupid narrative you’ve said the last year that’s proven false but doesn’t dissuade your Hannity regurgitation over and over again.

That’s precisely why you post a link to the source. Facts are facts but so far, you’ve made statements as fact that are not supported by sources. I would love to believe you but I have no way of knowing if you’ve simply pulled this out of your ass.
I gave you a source to look up. Even told you key words. I have nothing to hide. Knowledge is power. There are other sources, just search breakthrough cases, breakthrough cases deaths rate.

you’re not anti-covid, you’re pro-vaccine as part of your virtue signaling circle jerk.

and for the record, I don’t think the vaccine is a scam, conspiracy, or anything else but an attempt at a vaccine. I’ve never once advised anyone that wanted it to not to get it.
Oh the “hundreds of thousands” coming over the border? Do we have a legitimate source to support this narrative too? Let’s use all the vaccinations left from the people that don’t want them and use them on the immigrants. At least the won’t be accused of getting us sick!

Oh the “hundreds of thousands” coming over the border? Do we have a legitimate source to support this narrative too? Let’s use all the vaccinations left from the people that don’t want them and use them on the immigrants. At least the won’t be accused of getting us sick!
They are not immigrants they are illegals. Yes give them the vaccine and remove them I’m all for it.

Yes “illegals”….I forgot we we were all immigrants to start off with. Good point. Let’s kick those bad guys out of here.
How about we simply act like a nation that actually has laws and borders and apply both? I can’t understand how we are actually considered a nation state if you refuse to do both

How about we simply act like a nation that actually has laws and borders and apply both? I can’t understand how we are actually considered a nation state if you refuse to do both
We aren’t enforcing any laws anymore?

And don’t we count illegal immigration by the number of people caught crossing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT