ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Talking Points

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Just a few thoughts about the football team to this point in spring practice, with plenty of time to go before anything really matters:

The coaches are saying the right things, but I think they know what five guys they want on the O-line to start the season. And that's Avery Gennesy and LT, Jermaine Eluemunor at LG, Mike Matthews at center, Joe Cheek at RG and Germain Ifedi at RT. I think the pretense of trying guys at other positions is going to vanish soon and the search will begin for backups. If the team runs better this year, it'll be because of the JUCOs. Gennesy is just massive. Eluemunor isn't as big as Jarvis Harrison, but he's quick for a guard and is plenty strong. My concern really isn't going to be run blocking; I just don't know how Gennesy and Eluemunor pass block. And yeah, that's kind of important.This running game is going to use a lot of zone blocking concepts, but there's going to be some power too. Dave Christensen likes zone blocking schemes; he always has. They're going to be looking for one cut backs who get upfield and don't look to bounce things outside (that's something Brandon Williams needs to stop). But this is the SEC West and there's going to be times when they're going to look to abandon subtlety and smash people with Tra Carson and/or James White.I would not be surprised if the starting center in 2016 is Jeremiah Stuckey. He's done a really good job this spring and it's been noticed. Zach Ledwik is not playing anymore center, I'd bet. Koda Martin is now in the equation there, which is really interesting. He'd be a huge center, and the antithesis of Mike Matthews. But Martin is smart, very athletic and has proven he's adaptable.They're not running zone read with Kyle Allen. It's a waste of time and doesn't come close to utilizing him correctly. Kyler Murray? That's something else.Jordan Davis has a long way to go to be ready. That may mean more of Brandon Alexander or just not using the tight end much. Maybe this means Brett Wade gets on the field more as a fullback than he ever did as a linebacker.RSJ and Speedy both look a lot more comfortable this spring than they did last year -- which, in Speedy's case, should terrify people. Christian Kirk is legit. Considering that Josh Reynolds was Kyle Allen's favorite target last year and this group has the potential to be scary.I thought Damion Ratley would jump right in as Reynolds' backup, but I'm not so sure now. Frank Iheanacho has gotten much bigger and looks like he could be a real factor -- if he doesn't get into any more trouble, that is.I like what I have seen from DeShawn Washington (which granted, isn't much). He seems like he knows what he's supposed to be doing and is pretty quick. He's not as big as Zaycoven Henderson or Hardreck Walker, so it'll bear watching to see how he holds up when he's in the trenches.The DT rotation at both positions this fall could be salty if Daylon Mack is as we anticipate. There's finally enough size. Or, at least, there should be enough size.Myles Garrett was the one DE I didn't expect to see this spring. Who's out there killing it? Myles Garrett. Other guys are going to get big numbers, especially later this season, as teams desperately double team him. One of the guys who could put up big numbers is Qualen Cunningham. Very quick.I think the Aggies have a two-deep of good players at both outside linebacker slots. They still need someone to backup Josh Walker in the middle.I would not be surprised if the starting safeties are Armani Watts and Justin Evans. John Chavis wants his corners bigger and more physical. I don't know if that will help Tavares Garner, but that sounds like something that would. Those of you wanting Devante Harris out of the lineup are going to be disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.