ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M anthropology professor, triggered by former first lady Michelle

In response to my email, President Young wrote the following:

Thank you for writing me regarding your impression of Texas A&M left by Professor Castro. Clearly, these vitriolic and abhorrent comments do not reflect the core values of the university or the ideals we aspire to teach our students. While there are some members of our faculty with whom I disagree on various subjects, it’s still important to honor freedom of expression.

Your concern cuts right to the heart of what a university is. It is my hope that our students take away from their education at Texas A&M the best of what we offer, especially the principles that align with our core value of respect. As a land-grant institution, we have always supported freedom of speech, but that does not imply that the university agrees with viewpoints that are contrary to our core values. However, as a professor and as a citizen of this great country, he/she enjoys the right to make his/her opinions known, even if those perspectives are not held by the entire academic community.

Thank you for sharing your passion around these sensitive issues. Although this may not be the remedy or response you want to hear, I felt it important to respond.

Sincerely,

Mike

Michael K. Young

Texas A&M University

Jack K. Williams Administration Building, Ste. 200

1246 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1246

Tel. 979-845-2217 | Fax 979-845-5027
I haven’t received my response as of yet.

The prof has a right to his views. But are there no standards of conduct for college professors at A&M?

President Young has a law degree from Harvard, so I expected the reply to be a bunch of horsesh*t. I can't understand why A&M would allow him to post his foul garbage when he represents the institution, much less teach it in his classes. Wonderful times.

Reactions: darterbury
President Young has a law degree from Harvard, so I expected the reply to be a bunch of horsesh*t. I can't understand why A&M would allow him to post his foul garbage when he represents the institution, much less teach it in his classes. Wonderful times.
Exactly. Even at A&M. If he’d have been seen out on the lake somewhere wearing a MAGA hat he’d be out on his ass.

The world we have brought our kids up in sucks ass.

President Young is an AssHat... and the core of whats wrong with our University...and higher education as a whole. It wont stop until we quit giving our hard earned money to these ivory tower dwellers, most of whom have never worked in the private sector, and dont have a what a 60 hour work week looks like. That wasnt true in the '70s, at least in the College of Vet Medicine. Most of my profs had sideline farms and ranches to care for, part time jobs in the private sectors, consultants for pharmaceuticals and surgical supply companies.

Guys, it's the Anthropology department. Not exactly a bastion for conservative minds- and students should know that electing such a major.

Reactions: TXAggie93
It's a great time for him to try to find a new job where he can teach ancient byzantine poetry or whatever the fvck it is he does.

every school in the nation has stupid majors like this, how hard would it be?

I really don’t care what this prof said and wasn’t on the he should lose his job train, but that BS response from Young is quite hypocritical when compared to his response to the fake hate crime a few weeks ago.

This letter was just released yesterday addressing the issue:

A LETTER TO THE AGGIE COMMUNITY
by tamus | Aug 21, 2020 | System News

THE TEXAS A&M BOARD OF REGENTS
The members of the Board of Regents at The Texas A&M University System cannot remain silent or inactive after recent social media posts and actions by faculty members who should be held to the highest standard of our core values.

First and foremost, the board respects and celebrates the constitutional right to free speech. We also believe that free speech can – and should – incorporate decency, respect and a good amount of listening.

We have not seen enough civil discourse around campus lately. To that end, the board strongly condemns the recent vulgar, disrespectful and divisive language of a few members of the faculty at the flagship university in Bryan-College Station. We expect – and know – our faculty to be among the best in the nation and to exercise the academic freedom that comes with being a member of this great university. That freedom, however, does not include speech that is full of hate and serves to destroy our campus community. Aggies should not tolerate such divisive behavior, and we should hold each other accountable to preserve the spirit that generations of Aggies have forged for us.

Our issue is not with debate. In fact, we welcome it. Our issue also is not with academic freedom. It is of paramount importance to the board. Further, we also do not oppose peaceful protests. We want everyone to be heard.

As Aggies, we lead by example. The board believes that we can show other universities how to engage civilly, appropriately and with mutual respect.

All we ask – actually insist upon – is a dialogue that is productive, thoughtful and consistent with our core values of Excellence, Integrity, Leadership, Loyalty, Respect and Selfless Service.

The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents

Board of regents with a common sense response

required to offset the clown response from Young

That guy needs to speed up his exit

Good letter from the board. But I hope they start auditing classes to make sure these people actually teach and don’t indoctrinate

Good letter from the board. But I hope they start auditing classes to make sure these people actually teach and don’t indoctrinate

I worry about why kids listen to this. When I was at A&M I listened to the profs to get thru the class but thought most were nerds at best or clowns. I never took life lessons from these people.

I worry about why kids listen to this. When I was at A&M I listened to the profs to get thru the class but thought most were nerds at best or clowns. I never took life lessons from these people.
Good question. I had a few who I thought were smart and thoughtful. Most just taught and I appreciated it. But when they would start preaching I took in just enough to parrot back what I needed to get the A

Don’t know if students get to grade their professors like back in the 70s. This person reminds me of the sociology prof I had. I gave him and his class a zero and signed my name. Had an A going into the final and got a D for the course

Reactions: TXAggie93
This. The guy can spread hate speech with impunity but if a conservative were to say such things about a politician they disliked, they would be fired immediately.

Reactions: hogtide and wick
This. The guy can spread hate speech with impunity but if a conservative were to say such things about a politician they disliked, they would be fired immediately.
True. Because immediately it would be translated outside of a political rant and into one about that persons immutable characteristics and this a violation of some policy. But you didn’t expect honesty and consistency did you?

Reactions: hogtide and wick
Finally got my response which I cc’d the board on notice that he didn’t do the same.

Thank you for writing me regarding your impression of Texas A&M left by Professor Castro. Clearly, these vitriolic and abhorrent comments do not reflect the core values of the university or the ideals we aspire to teach our students. While there are some members of our faculty with whom I disagree on various subjects, it’s still important to honor freedom of expression.

Your concern cuts right to the heart of what a university is. It is my hope that our students take away from their education at Texas A&M the best of what we offer, especially the principles that align with our core value of respect. As a land-grant institution, we have always supported freedom of speech, but that does not imply that the university agrees with viewpoints that are contrary to our core values. However, as a professor and as a citizen of this great country, he/she enjoys the right to make his/her opinions known, even if those perspectives are not held by the entire academic community.

I have asked my team to explore how best to address such issues in our community with sensitivity to free speech and academic freedom, but ensuring our core values remain at the heart of our great university. Thank you for sharing your passion around these sensitive issues. Although this may not be the remedy or response you want to hear, I felt it important to respond.

Here's a letter written by an Ag who has $$ to back it up...

FROM ANOTHER '74 LUNCH PARTICIPANT:

"Most of you know the McFerrins …most know they have given more than $50 Million to A&M.
A few of the A&M Board of Regent’s recent decisions should have been unanimous … they weren’t unanimous, in fact, they were too close for comfort.

Begin forwarded message:

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:25 AM, Dorothy McFerrin <dorothym@scterm.com> wrote:

I encourage each one of you to send emails to sharp, etc., now since they are in session. I had previously written a letter to them about the mishandling of the Sully Ross statue, and in the future my feelings about the lack of funding and leaderships that University will not be able to find in this period of "me" entitled students that are taking over our campus. This professor is just one of the examples that have been sent to me lately. I explained to them in my letter that we are a conservative University, and that is what has set us apart from other Texas Universities. When Dr. Young called, I also talked with him about the quarterback's disrespectful attitude on the corp of cadets, as well as Sharp's decision to put a statue of an African American on our campus that has no connection to A&M when a group was trying to put a mascot statue at the gravesite, and I had offered to pay for a monument of some time to be determined for our Olympic athletes, which I was told, no not a good time to talk about statutes on campus. The latter two certainly had more meaning for the campus that Sharp's idea. I also discussed the rally of athletes and coaches walking through our campus with black power fists held high, and taking a knee when they stopped at Sully. I felt it was disrespectful, and the coaches could have handled a rally more like MLK. Teaching our athletes to take a knee is unacceptable to me. I have not heard or expected to hear from Sharp, but two BOR were interested in my letter when I explained that I had 5 pledges to the University, and will be monitoring their actions very closely to see if I would be continuing to contributing to Texas A&M University. They both have contacted Tyson to talk to him about Artie and my donations over the years. Please forward this professor's remarks to as many people as you can. Don't be one that sits back and lets our University become tu.

Mr. Sharp, BOR and Dr. Young,

This is a totally disgusting and disrespectable Professor who is representing our University. In my last letter to you, I mentioned how liberal our University has become under your guidance. This is proof beyond a doubt that University Professors are politically influencing our students. That is not their job. Their job is to teach the class signed up to take. He should be fired on the spot. Others like him should get the same treatment. This is not teaching our students what they need to know to have jobs in the real world, this is encouraging our students to join riots and disturbance in our communities. Shame on anyone who takes no action against Professors who encourage such actions. I will be forwarding this information on to other donors of our University who feel as strong as I do that our University is to remain Conservative, with core values that have guided our students through this period of their life and continue to be strong motivators in their lives today. We want to build leaders for America, not those who riot and disrupt our way of life. My funds will not support this type of teaching or athletic taking a knee at our games at our University functions. Students in the past at this University were proud Americans, many of whom paid the ultimate price during our wars, and we have all been patriots no matter if lead by Democrat or Republican presidents.

I'll will be waiting to hear how you handle this professor.

Dorothy McFerrin

"Most of you know the McFerrins …most know they have given more than $50 Million to A&M.
A few of the A&M Board of Regent’s recent decisions should have been unanimous … they weren’t unanimous, in fact, they were too close for comfort.

Begin forwarded message:

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 11:25 AM, Dorothy McFerrin <dorothym@scterm.com> wrote:

I encourage each one of you to send emails to sharp, etc., now since they are in session. I had previously written a letter to them about the mishandling of the Sully Ross statue, and in the future my feelings about the lack of funding and leaderships that University will not be able to find in this period of "me" entitled students that are taking over our campus. This professor is just one of the examples that have been sent to me lately. I explained to them in my letter that we are a conservative University, and that is what has set us apart from other Texas Universities. When Dr. Young called, I also talked with him about the quarterback's disrespectful attitude on the corp of cadets, as well as Sharp's decision to put a statue of an African American on our campus that has no connection to A&M when a group was trying to put a mascot statue at the gravesite, and I had offered to pay for a monument of some time to be determined for our Olympic athletes, which I was told, no not a good time to talk about statutes on campus. The latter two certainly had more meaning for the campus that Sharp's idea. I also discussed the rally of athletes and coaches walking through our campus with black power fists held high, and taking a knee when they stopped at Sully. I felt it was disrespectful, and the coaches could have handled a rally more like MLK. Teaching our athletes to take a knee is unacceptable to me. I have not heard or expected to hear from Sharp, but two BOR were interested in my letter when I explained that I had 5 pledges to the University, and will be monitoring their actions very closely to see if I would be continuing to contributing to Texas A&M University. They both have contacted Tyson to talk to him about Artie and my donations over the years. Please forward this professor's remarks to as many people as you can. Don't be one that sits back and lets our University become tu.

This is a totally disgusting and disrespectable Professor who is representing our University. In my last letter to you, I mentioned how liberal our University has become under your guidance. This is proof beyond a doubt that University Professors are politically influencing our students. That is not their job. Their job is to teach the class signed up to take. He should be fired on the spot. Others like him should get the same treatment. This is not teaching our students what they need to know to have jobs in the real world, this is encouraging our students to join riots and disturbance in our communities. Shame on anyone who takes no action against Professors who encourage such actions. I will be forwarding this information on to other donors of our University who feel as strong as I do that our University is to remain Conservative, with core values that have guided our students through this period of their life and continue to be strong motivators in their lives today. We want to build leaders for America, not those who riot and disrupt our way of life. My funds will not support this type of teaching or athletic taking a knee at our games at our University functions. Students in the past at this University were proud Americans, many of whom paid the ultimate price during our wars, and we have all been patriots no matter if lead by Democrat or Republican presidents.

Dorothy McFerrin
thanks for this information. I planning to respond to DR Young’s response and glad others are doing this to. I know a big money Ag and will send him this information too. I’m not a small donor but not one that would make the list that anyone cared about but what I plan on doing is include the groups I do donate on my response.

Begin forwarded message:

Dorothy McFerrin

Outstanding. I agree with Ms. McFerrin that people cannot sit back and watch our university become another tu.

I'm certainly nowhere near the contribution level of Ms. McFerrin, but it's important to let Young and the BOR know that all of my support will cease if this type of disgusting behavior by A&M professors is allowed to continue without consequences. I give what I can afford and have a sizeable amount pledged to A&M when I kick it. I've made my feelings known in no uncertain terms to Young and the BOR and encourage everyone else to do the same.

They'll only permit the behavior if we as former students and donors allow them to do so. Make some noise Army!

Reactions: wick and TXAggie93
I don't really care that the guy is a lunatic on his FB page. Lots of those (though I wonder if FB applies whatever speech policies to his speech in the same manner they do against others). But per the student reviews, he's spewing the same stuff in class. To me, that's the basis to discipline him. He's not there to pass along his version of the world. Whatever subject he teaches, he should teach it, shut up and then go home and post on his FB page.
I think I’ve been pretty consistent.

So yes to cancel him? But no to cancel things you like? To cancel or not to cancel, that is the question.

True. Because immediately it would be translated outside of a political rant and into one about that persons immutable characteristics and this a violation of some policy. But you didn’t expect honesty and consistency did you?
You snowflakes are so disenfranchised

You are unhinged today.
The fact educated people who graduated from the same school I did can’t say “the siege on the Capitol of our country was wrong” is really deeply troubling to me. Shocking as well. It makes me sad.

Not some bullshit like “well this one thing happened in Seattle so this isn’t bad” or whatever. No body can actually say that taking over the Capitol and killing an officer (sorry Dad-in-tx for bringing up this irrelevant thing) is wrong. What in the actual fvck is wrong with you people?

It makes me mostly sad but definitely angry too.

The fact educated people who graduated from the same school I did can’t say “the siege on the Capitol of our country was wrong” is really deeply troubling to me. Shocking as well. It makes me sad.

Not some bullshit like “well this one thing happened in Seattle so this isn’t bad” or whatever. No body can actually say that taking over the Capitol and killing an officer (sorry Dad-in-tx for bringing up this irrelevant thing) is wrong. What in the actual fvck is wrong with you people?

It makes me mostly sad but definitely angry too.
Who said it wasn’t wrong? It was wrong. I haven’t seen anyone on here say it was right.

I thought y’all were against cancel culture

man y’all are hard to follow

the stuff he said publicly gets you fired from pretty much any position of consequence.

this isn't even in the same realm as trying to get "chase" cancelled from paw patrol, you imbecile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT