ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M anthropology professor, triggered by former first lady Michelle

Hate to see someone lose their job over a social media post. But like everything else in these ridiculous current times, cancel culture is a slippery slope that should have never been tested.

The more troubling part to me is the rumors that students have been saying this stuff was in his classroom. If so and it if reported via the regular student review mechanisms and the university did nothing about them, then they enabled him to drift further and further into this. ANY prof that gets complaints of non-subject discussions in class should have their classes anonymously audited the next semester and the behavior corrected or termination for repeat offenders.

$50k? Is that right? We pay like crap - but, in this case, we over paid for this twit!
My wife is at TAMU-CT.... the A&M system pays well for Academia at least for public. She was teaching in a DPT program A Methodist University in NC making much more but that was private.

I gotta be honest, if an elected official makes you depressed you’re a giant pussy.

there’s legit reasons for depression, a temporary suit duly elected by your fellow citizens ain’t one of them.

I wouldn't tolerate that sophomoric garbage from one of our professors no matter the side.

I emailed the following to the A&M president this morning:

As a former student, I am writing to express my outrage at the recent comments Professor Castro posted about the sitting President of the United States.

Dr. Castro's unprofessional conduct is an embarrassment to the university and I believe he should be told to remove the comments immediately and issue a public apology. If he refuses, he should be terminated.

While everyone is entitled to their own political opinions, disrespect towards the office of the President is inexcusable. Professor Castro's comments are completely over the line and I urge you to take swift action to remedy and remediate the damage he has caused as a representative of our great university.

Thank you.

So they now have a spray for pubic lice? Does anybody have any recommendations for such spray? Asking for a friend

Agree Castro’s remarks are inappropriate and were ill advised, even allowing for free speech. Attacking a sitting president with outrageous, unfounded claims like claiming he was born outside the US, are the stuff of the unstable.

Reactions: bioaggie
Agree Castro’s remarks are inappropriate and were ill advised, even allowing for free speech. Attacking a sitting president with outrageous, unfounded claims like claiming he was born outside the US, are the stuff of the unstable.
Did Castro make that claim? I guess I didn’t catch that.

Did Castro make that claim? I guess I didn’t catch that.
Think the guy who’s presently in the White House was pretty public in his ridiculous claim. Just saying. It’s hard to be outraged when the president says so many stupid, unhinged things on his own. Sorta pot meet kettle.

Did Trump call Obama’s wife a whore, accuse him of screwing his own daughters, call him a racist and accuse him of hiring a cabinet of physically deformed subhumans?

I missed that

Wind sock of stable thought.

I can appreciate good smack but this guy’s game is weak.

Proof of what a former professor of mine once sad: Not everything academic is academic.

Reactions: TXAggie93
I remember back in the mid-eighties a prof writing op-eds for The Battalion that were extremely liberal, anti Corps and anti American. His house and vehicle were trashed repeatedly. He didn't have to get fired--he left willingly.

I emailed the following to the A&M president this morning:

As a former student, I am writing to express my outrage at the recent comments Professor Castro posted about the sitting President of the United States.

Dr. Castro's unprofessional conduct is an embarrassment to the university and I believe he should be told to remove the comments immediately and issue a public apology. If he refuses, he should be terminated.

While everyone is entitled to their own political opinions, disrespect towards the office of the President is inexcusable. Professor Castro's comments are completely over the line and I urge you to take swift action to remedy and remediate the damage he has caused as a representative of our great university.

Thank you.

I just emailed Dr Young and Sharp here are the emails

PresidentYoung@tamu.edu
Cc:chancellor@tamus.edu,Vickie@tamus.edu

Spillers, Vickie
Executive Director, Board of Regents
Vickie@tamus.edu

I didn't click the link but I will say I can't stand college professors. A bunch of arrogant, know it all, can't hack it in the real world, scrawny little shits who live in a world that doesn't mirror reality and only exist because stupid shits like us continue to fund these universities to provide stupid bullshit degrees that do nothing more than an HVAC certification would do and we're supposed to bow down to the political opinions of these cocksuckers without any of them getting their teeth kicked in?

Fvck what this country had become. And fvck whatever professor said whatever. I hate him or her and would fight them right now if able.

I didn't click the link but I will say I can't stand college professors. A bunch of arrogant, know it all, can't hack it in the real world, scrawny little shits who live in a world that doesn't mirror reality and only exist because stupid shits like us continue to fund these universities to provide stupid bullshit degrees that do nothing more than an HVAC certification would do and we're supposed to bow down to the political opinions of these cocksuckers without any of them getting their teeth kicked in?

Fvck what this country had become. And fvck whatever professor said whatever. I hate him or her and would fight them right now if able.

Except an HVAC cert will pay much more than $50k a year. Maybe this Fidel should rethink his life's course.

In response to my email, President Young wrote the following:

Thank you for writing me regarding your impression of Texas A&M left by Professor Castro. Clearly, these vitriolic and abhorrent comments do not reflect the core values of the university or the ideals we aspire to teach our students. While there are some members of our faculty with whom I disagree on various subjects, it’s still important to honor freedom of expression.

Your concern cuts right to the heart of what a university is. It is my hope that our students take away from their education at Texas A&M the best of what we offer, especially the principles that align with our core value of respect. As a land-grant institution, we have always supported freedom of speech, but that does not imply that the university agrees with viewpoints that are contrary to our core values. However, as a professor and as a citizen of this great country, he/she enjoys the right to make his/her opinions known, even if those perspectives are not held by the entire academic community.

Thank you for sharing your passion around these sensitive issues. Although this may not be the remedy or response you want to hear, I felt it important to respond.

Sincerely,

Mike

Michael K. Young

Texas A&M University

Jack K. Williams Administration Building, Ste. 200

1246 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1246

Tel. 979-845-2217 | Fax 979-845-5027

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT