ADVERTISEMENT

So Texas recorded 333 covid deaths today

You managed to list one republican run state that is above the national average for deaths per million residents. Is that what Biden meant by picking truth over facts?

Mississippi. Kind of funny that Louisiana has a Democratic governor.
Arizona would have made two had it been included in the list.

Reactions: Bozinator
Arizona would have made two had it been included in the list.
Border states’ numbers are inaccurate due to foreigners seeking treatment In the US, then dying while visiting.
also, if we are focused so closely on numbers, why not break the daily report into decades of age at death and care facility deaths vs non.

Its really been the opposite since the first surge so wouldn't go boasting that.

Death data lags a bit in two ways: One it takes some counties over a week to report deaths. We always seem to have a Tuesday surge which is I guess when most data gets reported. And, it takes weeks from the time someone is infected until they die.

Best data set is to use a 7 day moving average for deaths rather than picking a day. With that said even if we have an uptick in deaths right now doesn't mean cases aren't going down.

Yes we flattened the curve the right way and they didn't and their numbers are far worse so I'll go ahead and boast on it.

Some of the "reported deaths" occurred days, weeks and months ago, in some cases. At least that's what KBTX said last night. Something about deaths being reclassified as COVID related well after the fact that will change numbers from early on.

Correct. Texas reported 324 deaths on 8/12. Here are the months when those deaths occurred:

August = 133
July = 186
June = 2
May = 2
March = 1

Yes, we're still reporting deaths as far back as March.

Border states’ numbers are inaccurate due to foreigners seeking treatment In the US, then dying while visiting.
also, if we are focused so closely on numbers, why not break the daily report into decades of age at death and care facility deaths vs non.

I'm not focused closely on numbers, I was just elaborating on Boz's post.
Feel free if you're so inclined.

I hadn't taken the border states/foreigner thing into account. That calls into question New York's numbers given its border with Canada.

Yes we flattened the curve the right way and they didn't and their numbers are far worse so I'll go ahead and boast on it.

New York’s numbers are truly a testament to how well you can do after you execute your at risk population and build herd immunity among everyone else by sending them into the perfect SARS-COV-2 transmission ground (subway). New York basically followed a ghoulish version of the Swedish model while the rest of the country shut down.

...except for Texas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc., etc., etc.

Pretty sure that either one of NY or NJ has more deaths than all of those states you mentioned combined. They're certainly higher in deaths per 100K. NY, NJ, PA, MI, and CA have all fared far worse than any of those states you singled out.

Not sure what you mean.

"Since early June, the share of new coronavirus infections in states led by Republican governors has surpassed that of states led by Democrats, which saw the earliest surge of cases"

Reactions: zcar
Pretty sure that either one of NY or NJ has more deaths than all of those states you mentioned combined. They're certainly higher in deaths per 100K. NY, NJ, PA, MI, and CA have all fared far worse than any of those states you singled out.

CA comes in at 27.4 in deaths per 100k, which is better than all but two of the states he singled out I believe. Louisiana clocks in at 94.7.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Apart from the gratuitous inclusion of CA though, your point remains.

My apologies 2th, I guess I did focus on the numbers for purposes of this thread.

Reactions: 2th_doc
Not sure what you mean.

"Since early June, the share of new coronavirus infections in states led by Republican governors has surpassed that of states led by Democrats, which saw the earliest surge of cases"
A priest, a rabbi, and a rabbit walk into a blood center. The rabbit says "I think I am a type O"

It looks to be going down. Like another poster said, looks like we peaked at deaths in mid July. Been going down since. You have to look at day of death though, can't track this simply by "reported deaths" every day.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

For those looking scroll over with the arrow at the bottom ot this graph

320 new reported cases, but some are backdated as far as 6/24 This is a BEAUTIFUL way to look at it, so you can see the new reports in today, but in the day they died. deaths are dropping like a rock.

Not sure what you mean.

We were told to shutdown in order to flatten the curve and not over-run hospitals which would lead to more death.

Texas flattened the curve allowing our hospitals to more effectively handle a spike.

Is your name Greg Focker?

Sadly, I’m not a male nurse.

I do M&A transaction advisory for healthcare acquisitions.

Male nursing probably has more chicks than finance/private equity. I should go back to school.

I'm not focused closely on numbers, I was just elaborating on Boz's post.
Feel free if you're so inclined.

I hadn't taken the border states/foreigner thing into account. That calls into question New York's numbers given its border with Canada.

Being funny, Canada and NY. Ha

CA comes in at 27.4 in deaths per 100k, which is better than all but two of the states he singled out I believe. Louisiana clocks in at 94.7.

My apologies 2th, I guess I did focus on the numbers for purposes of this thread.

Fair enough. I hadn't looked at CA numbers in quite a while and wrongfully assumed based on their news and Newsome's actions they were far worse off.

Reactions: Coolridge
No there is no proof. People use the numbers thrown out about the $18k for COVID patients and $39k for patients on vents. I think I've thoroughly destroyed the idea that hospitals and medical institutions are raking in government money for all of this. Of all of the conspiracy theories out there, this is the easiest one for me to say is so far from the truth. If anything, it's a glimpse of the future of healthcare with socialized medicine.
Okay so chandler at least addressed what I said. You’re straight up setting up a strawman. I said the hospitals are incentivized to report as Covid. Whether they are “raking in government money” is something no one is going to be able to prove or disprove, unless you’re working admin at a hospital in which case I trust your numbers about as much as I trust pharma companies’ “breakeven” costs

Last edited:

California locked down twice to the point where they were arresting surfers. Insane nanny state. I guess it worked but judging by second lockdown maybe theyre just prolonging the inevitable.

Not sure what you mean.

We just going straight to the political thread?

Definitely an uptick in deaths. The trend should decline as the positive tests and hospitalization trends have. Hopefully, we are at our peak.

Yep. And voter fraud doesn’t exist

Truer words were never spoken. Another convert to the view that the only fraud in voter fraud is those that perpetuate the lie. Numerous studies have shown there is no significant voter fraud. Thanks for helping make that point.

Reactions: zcar
I don't care if there is voter fraud or not. It should be harder to vote. Not easier. The excuses for people not voting are suspect and are also not significant.

Reactions: wick
is there any proof of this coding deaths for bigger payouts?

people throw this out there all the time, but i’ve yet to see any data to back it up.

if you have a link, please provide it.
Get out and talk to people that work at hospitals and nursing homes.

California locked down twice to the point where they were arresting surfers. Insane nanny state. I guess it worked but judging by second lockdown maybe theyre just prolonging the inevitable.

this is the funny thing about CA, they had a huge uptick in cases, just like TX, GA, FL, but not a huge uptick in deaths, yes TX and FL had an uptick, but nothing like NY, NJ, Penn.

California sits just 5 ahead of us in lower deaths per million, 321 vs 275. Their crazy laws and the constant changing of policies didn't do anything. The fact that they are spread out like all hell and when people aren't home they are typically outside because its beautiful 360 days of the year probably had more to do with it. Californians secretly hate each other too, so they naturally socially distance.

Okay so chandler at least addressed what I said. You’re straight up setting up a strawman. I said the hospitals are incentivized to report as Covid. Whether they are “raking in government money” is something no one is going to be able to prove or disprove, unless you’re working admin at a hospital in which case I trust your numbers about as much as I trust pharma companies’ “breakeven” costs

I am a working admin in a major health organization / state institution. I've sat and watched a 25% workforce reduction just last week. The biggest issue is the lack of elective surgeries which is where money is made. Healthcare is losing their asses without electives. So... Do you want to trust my numbers or do you want me to show you all of the "alternate access" provisions that I've had to process this week as a result of this. Oh, we're also on a one day a week furlough as a cost savings measure. We've already been gutted to the bone, and they cut more just to attempt to break even. I have about 180 hours of work to accomplish per week for my team and we collectively have 64 work hours to get it done. What I see on a daily basis in the Houston area does not align with over reporting of numbers. If you want to talk about % positive cases and what metrics the politicians are looking at versus reality, I can gladly jump into that fray because it's obvious the political skew.

I am a working admin in a major health organization / state institution. I've sat and watched a 25% workforce reduction just last week. The biggest issue is the lack of elective surgeries which is where money is made. Healthcare is losing their asses without electives. So... Do you want to trust my numbers or do you want me to show you all of the "alternate access" provisions that I've had to process this week as a result of this. Oh, we're also on a one day a week furlough as a cost savings measure. We've already been gutted to the bone, and they cut more just to attempt to break even. I have about 180 hours of work to accomplish per week for my team and we collectively have 64 work hours to get it done. What I see on a daily basis in the Houston area does not align with over reporting of numbers. If you want to talk about % positive cases and what metrics the politicians are looking at versus reality, I can gladly jump into that fray because it's obvious the political skew.
1. My quote, to which chandler responded and to which you followed, was that hospitals are incentivized to classify admissions (May have said deaths, irrelevant to this) as COVID. You changed the argument to say hospitals are raking in money from COVID.
2. I can admit that hospitals lose money due to things that are not Covid. Every business is struggling due to these shut downs (except mega corps, who we trust for some reason). For an admission with flu like symptoms, hospitals make more money if it is COVID than if it is not Covid, by their own classification.

I’m sorry you and your team are struggling. Lots of us feel the same way. Everyone gets to individually make the decision whether they feel it is appropriate to sacrifice the economy (the Main Street economy, not big tech economy) to preserve whatever the number of reported deaths are that day. But please don’t change my argument, which is that hospitals have a monetary incentive to classify cases as Covid.

There is a big difference between died with C19 and died of C19. Very fuzzy line that can and will be crossed for financial gain.

1. My quote, to which chandler responded and to which you followed, was that hospitals are incentivized to classify admissions (May have said deaths, irrelevant to this) as COVID. You changed the argument to say hospitals are raking in money from COVID.
2. I can admit that hospitals lose money due to things that are not Covid. Every business is struggling due to these shut downs (except mega corps, who we trust for some reason). For an admission with flu like symptoms, hospitals make more money if it is COVID than if it is not Covid, by their own classification.

I’m sorry you and your team are struggling. Lots of us feel the same way. Everyone gets to individually make the decision whether they feel it is appropriate to sacrifice the economy (the Main Street economy, not big tech economy) to preserve whatever the number of reported deaths are that day. But please don’t change my argument, which is that hospitals have a monetary incentive to classify cases as Covid.

If hospitals are classifying folks as COVID it’s not to make money, but to break even if possible. I don’t blame them at all. The forced everyone to end elective procedures and non-critical surgeries so then they asked for hospitals to stay fully staffed and empty in March, for waves that didn’t come until June, granted most folks were on standby but there was no revenue for three months where they could have been.

That being said cases =/= deaths and a Texas changed reporting only what was on the certificate not what was reported by the hospital a few weeks ago which resulted in ~600 new deaths but didn’t significantly change the 7 day rolling averages.

Im not saying hospitals are or aren’t fudging case numbers, I wouldn’t blame them if they did since the government screwed them over, but they definitely aren’t fudging deaths at least in TX.

If hospitals are classifying folks as COVID it’s
not to make money..
but to break even

I don’t blame them at all.
They forced everyone to end elective..
Im not saying hospitals are or aren’t fudging case numbers, I wouldn’t blame them if they did...
”not to make money, but to break even”?.. holy shit

If hospitals are classifying folks as COVID it’s not to make money, but to break even if possible. I don’t blame them at all. The forced everyone to end elective procedures and non-critical surgeries so then they asked for hospitals to stay fully staffed and empty in March, for waves that didn’t come until June, granted most folks were on standby but there was no revenue for three months where they could have been.

That being said cases =/= deaths and a Texas changed reporting only what was on the certificate not what was reported by the hospital a few weeks ago which resulted in ~600 new deaths but didn’t significantly change the 7 day rolling averages.

Im not saying hospitals are or aren’t fudging case numbers, I wouldn’t blame them if they did since the government screwed them over, but they definitely aren’t fudging deaths at least in TX.

You nailed exactly what my reply was going to be. I know our doctors are trying their best with accuracy, but that's because we have medical schools & other research institutions tied to it. I could see more true hospitals like Methodist or other more profit based hospitals doing it to really break even. I've had 4 tests and I believe their accuracy because it was all in house at work. I've had 2 close calls and had to quarantine waiting for results, but luckily no positive results. I do have co-workers who got it and it started out not so bad, but they both had the intestinal version & it was pretty awful for about 5 days.

I do really think this is more of a glimpse into what socialized medicine would look like in this country, both from a financial aspect in healthcare and from a patient care perspective with electives.

I've had
2 close calls
and had to quarantine waiting for results,
but luckily no positive.

I do really think this is more of a glimpse into what socialized medicine..
holy shit, dude..
screw cocaine,

FEAR is a powerful drug.

I said hospitals are financially incentivized to call it Covid. Thank you for agreeing.

Reactions: oldag1980
”not to make money, but to break even”?.. holy shit

Not sure if you agree or disagree, fine either way. It’s my gut feeling working in the Revenue Cycle Management for so long and helping hospitals get the most out of their contracts with the payors.

The system is so messed up without Covid that they have to allocate every dime anyway post ACA. I do not envy the jobs at most hospital business offices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT