ADVERTISEMENT

God Bless Texas

He did leave it up to the counties but said there would be no penalty for noncompliance.

Only up to counties that exceed a 15% hospitalization rate for at least 7 days.

Can't imagine hospitals reducing ICU beds. That just sounds silly.

because she is very very pro-mask and restrictions.

Saw reports of Dallas county asking hospitals to reduce ICU bed numbers that way percentages can go up above 15%....Not sure if true or not just a rumor....but you are crazy if you don't think they want to override what the Governor just did.
So you’re saying they want to make wearing mask political?

“Minimizes the sacrifices ofbusinesses”

Jiminy fvckin Christmas.

I think businesses are tired of sacrificing. I think that’s the point.

LOL Abbott got tired of answering questions about the ERCOT f-up, looked around skittishly and said , uhhh, ummm, NO MORE MASKS!!
Nah, he wants to run for President(he can't win) and a bunch of other Governors opened up their states this last week, so he had to keep up. Didn't really have anything to do with storm, it had to do with his political future nationally. Winter storm and ERCOT won't matter in a Presidential race, but keeping your state locked down will.
Literally nothing changed.
How do you figure?

Nah, he wants to run for President(he can't win) and a bunch of other Governors opened up their states this last week, so he had to keep up.

How do you figure?

No one in my immediate or extended family in the state has been able to receive the vaccine. The risks are still the same and outside of front line workers and old people there’s relatively few people who have been vaccinated to mitigate the spread.

No one in my immediate or extended family in the state has been able to receive the vaccine. The risks are still the same and outside of front line workers and old people there’s relatively few people who have been vaccinated to mitigate the spread.
Interestingly enough, this dropped at the same time you posted.

Reactions: Lukeag
Positivity rates are way down, hospitalization rates are down, death rates are down, people are getting vaccinated, more each day. So yes, plenty has changed since last July.

All this BS started as two weeks to "flatten the curve"..... well we did.....we can't keep everything locked down until everyone is vaccinated.

I am 78, with copd. Got the Moderna double shot. Please continue to wear a mask
we are not out of the high risk area and Abbott is just playing politics pandering to
the few not the many.
If you are 78 and have COPD, you need to stay home as much you can.....you should not be relying on me to wear a flimsy, not very effective mask to keep you safe.

Interestingly enough, this dropped at the same time you posted.

That’s fantastic and what I eventually expected. Everyone I know is on the list and most have us have travelled out of the country amidst all this while taking every precaution necessary to protect ourselves and those around us. Now suddenly something has changed and no one needs to take precautions despite a large majority of people not having an opportunity to take the ultimate precaution.

Positivity rates are way down, hospitalization rates are down, death rates are down, people are getting vaccinated, more each day. So yes, plenty has changed since last July.

All this BS started as two weeks to "flatten the curve"..... well we did.....we can't keep everything locked down until everyone is vaccinated.

There’s literally nothing I haven’t been able to do that I wanted to over the last year. 3 vacations which is 1-2 more than we usually take in a normal year, Kyle Field, ate at restaurants etc. Shît isn’t locked down. Canada is on lockdown.

The point is, I equate this to handing some a revolver with 100 chambers and saying - you can pull the trigger today and there is only one round in the 100 chambers. Or, you can pull it 2 months from now and there will be no bullets. Everyone here is like, sign me the **** up to pull the trigger today and it makes no sense to me.

That’s fantastic and what I eventually expected. Everyone I know is on the list and most have us have travelled out of the country amidst all this while taking every precaution necessary to protect ourselves and those around us. Now suddenly something has changed and no one needs to take precautions despite a large majority of people not having an opportunity to take the ultimate precaution.
"no one needs to take precautions"-- You are welcome to continue to take all the precautions you want....pretty sure the Governor didn't stop you from doing that.

There’s literally nothing I haven’t been able to do that I wanted to over the last year. 3 vacations which is 1-2 more than we usually take in a normal year, Kyle Field, ate at restaurants etc. Shît isn’t locked down. Canada is on lockdown.
Bullshit.
How many people didn't get to go to Kyle Field this year due to capacity limits? Just because you got to go, doesn't mean everyone who wanted to got to go. How much lost revenue was that for the athletic dept and surrounding businesses?

Just because you got to go to restaurants doesn't mean they weren't locked down, how many thousands of restaurant owners lost their business? How many bar owners lost their business? You don't think capacity limits at 25% or 50% isn't locked down? Hey, but you got to go where you wanted, so let's keep shit "not locked down".

I bet those people who lost their businesses during this didn't get to go on extra vacations this year.

I play music as a second job, I lost a ton of work because places were closed, events were cancelled, parties cancelled etc. That's locked down. Houston Rodeo cancelled. You know how many people lost their business just off that being cancelled. But hey, life was normal for you, so everyone else should keep suffering.

Last edited:
Nobody said you can’t wear a mask.

Or self Quarantine at home....

100% your choice!

I think rates and cases are actually going up. Keep in mind the state was pretty much shut down last week and put out almost no data as a result. Should be fun to see where numbers are post spring break.

67510092.jpg

Abbott said “Texas is in a far better position now,” with increasing vaccination numbers and more knowledge of how to manage the spread of the virus. Abbott also pointed to a decreasing hospitalization rates and positivity rate.

-----------------------

So, exactly what is this new knowledge we have about managing the spread? So much knowledge, that it leads to relaxing capacity restrictions and masks?

Because the only method I've heard about managing the spread of virus is 1) capacity restrictions and 2) masks.
I don't think we really KNOW that those measures work...

We were 9 months into the pandemic with the same restrictions on business and mask requirements when there was a big spike of cases/deaths in Dec and Jan. Levels went back down without any further lockdowns. Why the change?

I mean...most of us live in the south. Compliance with social distancing, masks, business restrictions has been lax to say the least. And we've done a ton better than California, New York, New Jersey where they've been downright autocratic about those policies.

Well, we are the second most populous state... want to take a guess at #1?
California the most populated state that is also much more population dense? Texas now has 4x the amount of people dying per day as Jersey so easy on dunking on them.

There’s a common political theme with Turner, Hidalgo and Acevedo. They’re having a hard time relinquishing control to the citizens of their city and it’s scary.

Law and order.

Back the blue.

Etc. Etc.

Isn't Texas only behind California in total deaths?
Lol no.

COVID-19 death rates by state: March 3 (beckershospitalreview.com)

• U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

To be fair, we are #3 in total deaths, but that is not a metric one should use in a situation like this, as it's a vanity metric to drive dishonestly. Per Capita is a better way of looking at the state's responses. We are two above Florida in that regard, and middle of the pack, which is, objectively good, considering the size of our population.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lukeag
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT