ADVERTISEMENT

God Bless Texas

Should have happened months ago, but better late then never.

The state vs local government fights should be interesting. Houston and Harris county officials were already putting out the propaganda this morning that we got to buckle up and keep all the mandates. But can they enforce them?

Most places of business will still require a mask unless the business is in a small rural town. These small town businesses weren’t enforcing mask requirements anyway so nothing changes there either.

Most places of business will still require a mask unless the business is in a small rural town. These small town businesses weren’t enforcing mask requirements anyway so nothing changes there either.
I dont believe that at all. Your big corporate stores like Lowes, Walmart, Target will. But your small businesses, local restaraunts....they don't want to deal with enforcing that and they don't want to drive away potential business.
You think businesses who have struggle to keep the doors open the last year are going to turn away customers over a silly mask??

I dont believe that at all. Your big corporate stores like Lowes, Walmart, Target will. But your small businesses, local restaraunts....they don't want to deal with enforcing that and they don't want to drive away potential business.
You think businesses who have struggle to keep the doors open the last year are going to turn away customers over a silly mask??
I suspect you’re right about big stores.

i also suspect that not requiring masks at smaller stores will be a selling point for many who are tired of things like masks.

Reactions: wick and boone8466
I suspect you’re right about big stores.

i also suspect that not requiring masks at smaller stores will be a selling point for many who are tired of things like masks.
On the big stores, it would be interesting to see, they will keep up signs but will they actually enforce?

Reactions: wick
Hopefully they have been able to get the vaccine but consider wearing one for possibly at-risk wait staff/employees of the businesses you frequent.

• Haha
Reactions: oldmanp03
Target said today their earnings the past year exceeded the last 5 years together. You think they're going to care about pissing off 1-2 customers?

I'll keep mine on me for businesses that require it, but for those that don't, being someone who had COVID pre-vaccine, it will be nice to have some sense of normalcy.

Explain this to me like I’m 5. Private businesses can enforce the wearing of masks even though the state does not?
I typed that as a troll. But I do think it’s a business decision and some businesses will try, emphasis on try.

Most people I talked to dealt with mask haters every day but used the state mandate to enforce it as they didn’t want to incur fines.

with that now gone, I suspect the sheer force of mask haters will force any business that wants a mask policy to just let it go

Reactions: boone8466
Explain this to me like I’m 5. Private businesses can enforce the wearing of masks even though the state does not?

State doesn't force you to wear shirts and shoes, but a business can.

I typed that as a troll. But I do think it’s a business decision and some businesses will try, emphasis on try.

Most people I talked to dealt with mask haters every day but used the state mandate to enforce it as they didn’t want to incur fines.

with that now gone, I suspect the sheer force of mask haters will force any business that wants a mask policy to just let it go
If private businesses want to keep them in place, then that’s their right, IMO. If this is about the right for private individuals or businesses making their own choices, why shouldn’t they?

Target said today their earnings the past year exceeded the last 5 years together. You think they're going to care about pissing off 1-2 customers?
In my area at least, it will be far more then 1-2 customers. And as I said in a previous post, I imagine corporate keeps the policy in place....but will actual local employees bother enforcing it?

So looks like a county or local authority can't institute any mandates unless hospitalization numbers are above 15% for 7 consecutive days. So Hidalgo is out of luck for now.

Reactions: David123
If private businesses want to keep them in place, then that’s their right, IMO. If this is about the right for private individuals or businesses making their own choices, why shouldn’t they?
Some businesses will be able to enforce them, like say doctors or law offices but others that more readily rely on the random public will be pressured to drop it. So, yes, it’s still a choice but realistically there won’t be a choice.

I do wonder about public schools and whether they keep or drop the mask mandate.

So looks like a county or local authority can't institute any mandates unless hospitalization numbers are above 15% for 7 consecutive days. So Hidalgo is out of luck for now.
But why would she try to override the Gov?

I do wonder about public schools and whether they keep or drop the mask mandate.
If they leave it up to the school district a lot will....I believe Humble ISD would drop it as they have been pushing the boundaries since August....but places like Austin I can't imagine would.

Interesting to see what their authority will be, I would guess they can enforce?

they’ll just game the numbers to get them where they need to be.

take this FWIW:

I like the 100% open up rule but I will continue to wear a mask and if you want to come into my store because I employ lots of seniors who have had hell getting the vaccine than you wont come in. Not until all my employees have been vaccinated. Not worth it.

A lot of "Karens" with a raw red ass today in Texas! LOL...Fk'em! Hopefully the mass amount of pissing contests on FB on whether masks work or not or should be worn or not, WILL END! Doubt it though. Again...fk'em!!!

Reactions: Lukeag and txag1979
Abbott said “Texas is in a far better position now,” with increasing vaccination numbers and more knowledge of how to manage the spread of the virus. Abbott also pointed to a decreasing hospitalization rates and positivity rate.

-----------------------

So, exactly what is this new knowledge we have about managing the spread? So much knowledge, that it leads to relaxing capacity restrictions and masks?

Because the only method I've heard about managing the spread of virus is 1) capacity restrictions and 2) masks.

Reactions: bioaggie
But why would she try to override the Gov?
because she is very very pro-mask and restrictions.

Saw reports of Dallas county asking hospitals to reduce ICU bed numbers that way percentages can go up above 15%....Not sure if true or not just a rumor....but you are crazy if you don't think they want to override what the Governor just did.

I think the big issue they are having in Iowa is people flat out refusing to wear them and threatening violence in settings like doctors offices where high risk people are present. Businesses who want to keep mask rules in place are in for a shit ton of angry confrontations.

Abbott said “Texas is in a far better position now,” with increasing vaccination numbers and more knowledge of how to manage the spread of the virus. Abbott also pointed to a decreasing hospitalization rates and positivity rate.

-----------------------

So, exactly what is this new knowledge we have about managing the spread? So much knowledge, that it leads to relaxing capacity restrictions and masks?

Because the only method I've heard about managing the spread of virus is 1) capacity restrictions and 2) masks.

New knowledge = realizing those methods don't actually work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT