ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Patterson Knocks CFP Committee For Leaving TCU Out

Scout59

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2010
Understandably, TCU coach Gary Patterson is still unhappy with how his team was treated at the end of the season by the College Football Playoff selection committee.
He expressed his unhappiness this week.
From CBS Sports:
"I was told the reason we had a [selection] committee is we were going to take all that stuff out of it. [Conference] championship games shouldn't have mattered," Patterson said.[/QUOTE]
"Their job was to watch all this film and pick the four best teams no matter who you played, what you did. All the sudden it came down to, 'Well, they played a championship game but they didn't.' That's not what we were told. We were told they were going to pick the four best teams."[/QUOTE]
The Horned Frogs destroyed Iowa State 55-3 on the final week of the college football season. It moved TCU to 11-1. However, Ohio State destroyed Wisconsin later that day. The game moved the Buckeyes to 12-1. Ohio State ended up as the No. 4 seed in the College Football Playoff. TCU was No. 6 after being jumped by Baylor, who beat TCU earlier in the year. With four teams getting in, TCU was on the outside looking in.
His comments were the most pointed anyone from TCU has been towards the committee. While Patterson previously suggested a six-team playoff format to accommodate the Power Five conferences, the biggest post-playoff rankings statement has been TCU's demoliton of Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl.
Patterson said he had a feeling that TCU was going to get knocked out of the top four. TCU was No. 3 entering the final weekend with undefeated Florida State No. 4. If Ohio State was going to jump either team (provided both won), it was not going to be the Seminoles.
He said he even told Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads that his team wasn't getting in the playoff.
"I'm pretty good at gut feelings," Patterson said. "I watched all the articles during the week. I actually thought that was the kiss of death moving to three."
Patterson is also, understandably, an advocate to ditch the CFP's weekly rankings system. It gave his team false hope and as close observers quickly learned, could vary wildly from week to week. While we're on board with Patterson's sentiments - the men's basketball selection committee doesn't release mock brackets throughout the season - we also know that the status quo isn't changing anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.