ADVERTISEMENT

Football All of the tweets concerning Moose (updated Monday 11:19am)

Update:
Just received a text that the sleeve became a rule after Calzada said it was the cause of two fumbles…I believe from all the tweets and messages that it is a very unclear situation still. Hopefully the press conference will shed light onto the situation.

Login to view embedded media

Dan Campbell

Y’all reckon we could get him away from Detroit? Talk about a guy that knows the culture. He’d have guys here wanting to be Aggies.

Even better is he’d probably bring Aaron Glenn with him. He could restore the Wrecking Crew as he was a part of it.

All that would be missing is an Aggie OC. I know Jerrod is coaching somewhere. Would he be ready for that role?

Wreaths Across America

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on the site, but I enjoy all of the information for Mark.

I know there are a lot of Veterans on here (myself included) and last week we got to celebrated all Veterans. I am not sure if anyone is familiar with Wreaths Across America, but this is a way that we honor Veteran's that have passed. Wreaths Across America is a non-profit that sells wreaths that be placed at the headstones of all Veterans at the Houston National Cemetery. The wreaths we be laid at the gravesites on Dec. 17th at the Houston National Cemetery at 10410 Veterans Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77038. Below is a link to a website if you want to learn more about the event.

My son's Boy Scout Troop participates in this event each year and sells the wreaths. If you would like to make a donation to this great cause, please see the link below to my son's fundraiser page.

Thanks!

Perspective, UVA

As much as I love TAMU and as mad as a get on Saturday's watching my Aggies lose. These 18-21 year old kids live under crazy amounts of pressure from the fans, media, and families. Many of them have never dealt with failure on the field, in the class room, or in relationships. They now have NIL money and transfer pressure from all sides to deal with.

I am not sure why the shooting at UVA has impacted more than most of these other mass shootings. Maybe because playing high school sports and understanding the bond that is made for a lifetime with my brothers on those teams. To have one turn on you like that really hurts today. Thanks for letting me vent. Call your college son/daughter today and do a quick check on them!!!

All this OC crap, We’ve already got a great one

Any of y’all ever look at Dickeys Memphis offensive performance and numbers when he was the man there ? It’s insanely good. Why does anyone believe that the Jimbo Fisher that saved Winston is now gonna save himself and the Aggies with a new OC ? He won’t give up the reigns, that’s a guarantee. He just isn’t a game day coach. Great recruiter, motivator, and speaker but dudes not the man under pressure and he seems like a Captain who will die with the ship, hit the iceberg and go down before changing course.

Transfers and this class....

So I got blasted for saying 15-20 transfer out and this class will continue to suffer if we don't make a change and quick. That change could be firing our OC and saying we are hiring one (yes I know Jimbo is the OC but fire Dickey and say we are hiring one), or firing Jimbo. Add Moose to the possible transfers and if we lose this week to UMass then it will grow exponentially.

I truly think we lose around 15 from the current team and then this class will be very very lucky to hold on to what its got. Go ahead blast away, but my maroon shaded glasses are fully off.
Reactions: johnkur

Northgate Forum Access

Mark, Help! For reasons unknown to me, I can't access the Northgate Forum message board, or any others for that matter, when I pull up AggieYell in AOL. I asked for help from Rivals/Yahoo Customer Service without success. For now, I have to use a different browser to access my subscription to AggieYell, an annoying, ponderous process. Any suggestions how Rivals can fix this issue, assuming you know someone there who can/cares? Thanks.

My thoughts on coaching search

Mainly stating the obvious, and this will probably be rambling. Apologies in advance.

I was thinking last night about past coaching searches here and at other places, and trying to identify what works and what doesn't. What it boils down to for me is program management. There are a lot of guys out there that are bright schematically that just can't hack it as the head guy at a power school. I remember Rich Rodriguez setting everyone's brains on fire when he figured out how to run successfully out of the spread. Brilliant concepts, but he can't pull it all together to save his life. Hell, look at Sumlin. We can argue to what extent, but he recruits fairly well. He's been able to get his teams to play at high levels at times, but it ultimately falls apart for him. Personally, I think it's because he is unable to successfully manage all of the necessary parts of his program. Look at the Spav disaster. He promotes a talented, but raw guy to offensive coordinator. Fine, but then he fails to mentor him and creates conflict by bringing in Dave Christensen and making him "running game coordinator," whatever in the blue fuck that is. He hangs Spavital out to dry and creates unnecessary friction by failing to define what roles everyone has.

Their are certainly different approaches to the HC position that can be successful. Not many can be the micromanager that Saban is without going insane or becoming a tyrant (See: Franchione, Dennis). However, if you're going to be the CEO type, you have to clearly delineate responsibility and maintain the direction of the program. Sumlin just seems wholly rudderless at times.

So, I've become less and less married to finding a coach that runs a certain sort of scheme or has a specific approach on offense or defense. The college game changes so quickly, you can be an innovator one season and a dinosaur the next (Hal Mumme). Plus, you have to be able to adapt your approach to whatever talent you get on campus.

Things that I'd like to see in our next HC: Proven recruiting. The SEC is no longer the killer it once was, but we still have to recruit at a high level to compete for conference championships. If someone has question marks about pulling in high level talent, that's a big problem. Also, I would like to have a track record as a head coach to rely upon. Like I laid out above, I think juggling those multiple pieces is what makes or breaks most coaches. I knew Charlie Strong was a terrible fit for Texas from Day 1 because he bristled with media and any criticisms they threw at him at Louisville. It was obvious he would melt under more of the same under a bigger spotlight. Venables is an interesting name, but of course he has no history as a HC. Some guys are able to shine in a supporting role, but don't have the demeanor take on the myriad of added responsibilities as the head man. If we were to give Venables a look, I think you have to question him extensively about organization, responsibility delegation, potential coordinators, how he would divvy out his limited time, etc. If he doesn't have a crystal clear vision at the ready, move on.

One of the things that is tough to recognize is how the coaching landscape has changed in the past 15 years or so. Gone are the days when we can poach a HC from Pitt or Michigan. The arms race in coaching salaries changed all that. Even shitty guys are getting a couple million per year. As a result, barring crazy circumstances, coaches aren't jumping from one P5 school to another.

The approach I would like to see us take is to focus mainly on head coaches at smaller schools. Wins and losses are a big factor to look at, but at the same time, focus on the approach they take to program organization. Are they hands on in calling the game? How clearly do they define coordinator and assistant roles? In other words, if they have coaches move on, is their system set up to adequately replace them. Ultimately, you have to look at a ton of these factors and find the guy that has the best approach to move our program forward.

Again, sorry for the rambling.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT