ADVERTISEMENT

I think this is the way recruiting is now...

Every year will consist of transfers in and out of the program and fewer HS recruits going P5 right out of the gate.

Track has been this way for a while, so I'm used to seeing it.

The role of Head coach is changing. More than ever you need to take a pulse on your players and see where they're at and make them feel valued. It's also easier to get rid of problem athletes this way.

S Sanders

In order to transfer players have to notify they are going into portal, correct? In Deion’s PC he asked Sadeur to stand up and Deion said this is your QB! I hadn’t heard he had put his hat in transfer portal, that seems shady to me. Then again he is Prime’s son and played for his dad at JSU, and with coaching change at school players are allowed to transfer. I read on ESPN that the 5 star DB that went there last year is in portal now, everyone knows where he is transferring to!

Xmas dinner thread -Not Portal related

Am cooking a strip loin roast (NY Strip roast) this year. Been doing prime rib roasts or whole tenderloins but first time for the strip loin.

Bought a 5lb dry aged from Porter Road butchers.

Depending on the weather will either cook over oak on my Santa Maria style grill or roast in the oven.

Been asked to do my port wine and porcini mushroom reduction.

And always potatoes roasted in duck fat

What you got this Xmas?

Grading out all the position groups, plus coaching...

The portal is all just a big guess right now, so I'll leave that out for the moment. Just grading all the position groups based on our returnees and who is committed: (Warning & Disclaimer - Post is long and all my opinion.)

QB (B) - Really like Weigman. Johnson is a solid backup. Need a developmental guy.

RB (B+) - Think this group can be special with right coaching and scheme.

WR (B-) - Can't grade us higher without more depth.

TE (C+) - Think Green can be really good, like All-SEC good. Inexperience and injury drop my grade.

O Line (C) - Hardest group to grade for me. The thinness and injury at tackle are concerning. I expect bounce backs from LG across to RT. I hope Zuhn gets healthy. Can't grade us higher without seeing the unit together.

Overall Offense - Players (B-)

Offensive Coaching (D-) The only reason I don't give us an F is because of all injuries and a couple of decently called games, though I think the players outplayed their coaching at times. I can't give us a higher grade without an OC and other changes.

Overall Offense - Players plus Coaches (C)

DEs (A-) - I like what we are building. Good mix of long, rangy quick guys & bigger, stronger athletic kids. Just need coached up.

DT (B+) - Jackson and Nolen are special. Need more from the other guys. Interested to see Dindy.

LB (D+) - Sanford helps a little but wow...thin. Need Harris to develop more and do it quickly.

CB (D) - Seriously?! Even with the committed kids...Help!!!

Safeties (B) - Much better than corner, but still not a lot of depth.

Overall Defense - Players (C+)

Defensive Coaching (C-/D+) - I really like the core group we have coming back and the defensive commitments. I simply don't trust Durkin's schemes right now. We got ran over this year. We lack serious depth at LB and CB. Crossing fingers for more 4 man fronts and better LB play.

Overall Defense - Players plus Coaches (C)

I didn't go into my analysis without all my built in biases, which we all have, determining the grades pretty much as I wrote the post. That said, I ended up kind of where I thought I might.

1. We are an average program that has superior talent in many positions.

2. Unsat coaching, injuries, some play on the field and some knuckleheadedness off it, has put us where we are.

3. We have a core group of players and coaches that we can build a good team and program around.

4. We have good players coming in and they are going to help us get to where we should be...competing for Championships.

5. Yes, we have issues, like depth and no OC right now. Big deal. We'll get them fixed and move out! Gig'em!!!

Easy Christmas gift for you lazy procrastinators

That time of year again fellow Ags. Hate to do it, but making another shameless plug for my wife's candle business... If you find it in the kindness of your hearts, please help me get these freaking candles out of my house!

Thanks to those of you who have supported in the past. They ship directly to you, or to a recipient's address, with a hand written card (you choose the message). Because I'm in the Christmas spirit (and mostly want to get rid of these things), we're running a 2 for 1 deal this year. Use BOGO2022 at checkout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT