ADVERTISEMENT

What has the Taliban taken control over that is concerning?

DentonAg80

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
We all know they have taken control over areas that included various small arms (you can see the Taliban carrying M-4s, AR-16s, etc.) and using US provided vehicles. Apparently planes and other aircraft provided by the US are now in their hands.

Now there is a story that the Taliban have gained access to a civilian surveillance system> "Approximately 80 percent of the country, roughly 25 million people, were targeted for inclusion in the U.S. military’s biometric database. Now, the Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment can scan Afghans’ fingerprints, faces, and irises to reveal biographical information. The Microsoft-powered device can also tap into a much larger national database of information on millions of Afghans collected by the United States over two decades of war. With that technology, the Taliban will take control of one of the most sophisticated state surveillance systems on the planet."

What else have they gained access to use against civilians, India, etc.?
Iran was pretty nervous about the the US leaving and sent troops to the border. What is the relationship there?

I suspect some of our experienced readers have a clue!

I remain unworried.

eRKCu6A.gif

Does the taliban have people sophisticated enough to use our surveillance systems? Regardless, I'm guessing we have a way to disable it. Actually, hard to believe we didn't disable on the way out.

Well one thing they've gained control over is women in the entire country. That's not a "threat" to the interests of the U.S., but if you're human it should probably bother you that women who progressed during the last 20 years will likely be punished for that.

I realize this wasn't the point of the OP, but man... it's tragic.

Does the taliban have people sophisticated enough to use our surveillance systems? Regardless, I'm guessing we have a way to disable it. Actually, hard to believe we didn't disable on the way out.
The biggest fear should be that the taliban will sell it to people who can be dangerous with it, or dangerous with the knowledge of how it works.

Well one thing they've gained control over is women in the entire country. That's not a "threat" to the interests of the U.S., but if you're human it should probably bother you that women who progressed during the last 20 years will likely be punished for that.

This was the outcome all along. Did you expect something different?

Reactions: cypress-ag
The biggest fear should be that the taliban will sell it to people who can be dangerous with it, or dangerous with the knowledge of how it works.
Most everything in our intelligence software has keys to make t work. We had to change them daily for everything to link and operate. I'd have to bet all of that only advanced throughout the years.
That's why I would think anything driven by a microchip can be detonated or made unstable whenever we want.
I would have to bet anything that was cutting edge left long ago.
So yes, the real concern is them selling it to the Chinese or Russians I would think.

Their natural resources especially rare earth minerals. That should provide them the needed revenue to fund all of the deeds they have in mind. Not to mention giving them leverage with China.

A primary source of revenue for the Taliban has been the Afghan opium poppy crops. They are the world's leader in growing this and make untold 100s of millions annually. They are among the world's leading drug dealers. They've used this revenue over the years to buy off many of the Afghan tribes and their leaders, something the Afghan government couldn't and frankly wouldn't do. Compared to the structure and operation of the Taliban the Afghan government simply could not compete. It was too fractured, incompetent, and corrupt. That being said the Taliban as a whole does not operate as a terror threat to countries outside it's borders. Their primary link with Al Qaeda and other extremist groups has been to get the arms and manpower support they needed to accomplish what they've just done. It's going to get very interesting now on how well non Afghan organizations and the Taliban will cooperate, if at all, in the future. I believe the biggest concern is the likely growing Chinese influence with monetary and military support. Keep your eyes on the Panjshir valley northeast of Kabul and the resistance building there.

There’s not a chance in hell they can use any air assets for long. Parts are a problem, expertise is another. Now I’m a helicopter guy and I’m positive I could fly a Blackhawk today and get myself safely anywhere but I would have one helluva time starting the damn thing. Maintenance on one of those things is mind boggling for smart people, let alone some guy who’s most advanced mode of transportation is a double-humped camel. Theyd be better off selling them but still…spare parts. Nobody is going to sell spare UH-60 parts to Iran.

Last edited:
We all know they have taken control over areas that included various small arms (you can see the Taliban carrying M-4s, AR-16s, etc.) and using US provided vehicles. Apparently planes and other aircraft provided by the US are now in their hands.

Now there is a story that the Taliban have gained access to a civilian surveillance system> "Approximately 80 percent of the country, roughly 25 million people, were targeted for inclusion in the U.S. military’s biometric database. Now, the Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment can scan Afghans’ fingerprints, faces, and irises to reveal biographical information. The Microsoft-powered device can also tap into a much larger national database of information on millions of Afghans collected by the United States over two decades of war. With that technology, the Taliban will take control of one of the most sophisticated state surveillance systems on the planet."

What else have they gained access to use against civilians, India, etc.?
Iran was pretty nervous about the the US leaving and sent troops to the border. What is the relationship there?

I suspect some of our experienced readers have a clue!
Nothing.

It’s a big nothing-burger after all Americans are removed safely.

No one cares about Afghanistan but this board isn’t going to let a “gotcha” moment passively go.

The moment it breaks it will stay broken. Since it’s Microsoft it maybe has 3 months.

Reactions: cdean

Their men didn’t care enough to fight for them. For sure sad but we gave them 20 years.

Reactions: sigeast02

We gave them 20 years they never would have had. It appears that was our sole reason for being there for at least the last 10 years.

We should have gone in there and bombed all the airfields and planes, helicopters, humvees etc….not sure why we just let them take what they wanted.
Biden said they were considering that, but didn’t want the taliban to retaliate. Not a joke.

Reactions: clayber
Biden said they were considering that, but didn’t want the taliban to retaliate. Not a joke.
We had out CIA head in Kabul Sunday trying to negotiate an extension to the Aug 31 deadline. Biden later confirmed we’re still keeping that deadline so what does that tell you?

Reactions: FbFan222
I wish we had never gone in there to stay. Our CIA helped them defeat the Russians and provided all type underground bunkers and weapons. They knew this was essentially an unwinnable war if we played by the rules the state department and UN laid down. Do I really care what happens to the country, not really, but this does open the door for various groups to operate out of there and there are reports they will target India soon. Several former intelligence operators say this is a huge loss in intelligence gathering again more than just the Afgans. It is concerning we left tons of uniforms, weapons, vehicles, first aid equipment, etc. without disabling or destroying them. They also got missiles and missile systems left for the Afgan army per a report. Saw a pic of Taliban men carrying what could be a missile or very long bomb. I do think the Taliban will sell or give some groups the weapons to use against allies, etc. And yes, parts will be an issue but Iran is still flying F-14s we gave the Shaw and you know they cannot get parts for those.

Reactions: superag1000
Nothing.

It’s a big nothing-burger after all Americans are removed safely.

No one cares about Afghanistan but this board isn’t going to let a “gotcha” moment passively go.
After 4 years of OMB hysteria, here we are dismissing forfeiting tens of billions of dollars worth of military equipment to a terrorist organization that wants you dead with the waive of a hand.

Outstanding

After 4 years of OMB hysteria, here we are dismissing forfeiting tens of billions of dollars worth of military equipment to a terrorist organization that wants you dead with the waive of a hand.

Outstanding
The real mistake was invading Afghanistan and spending Trillions of American taxpayer dollars.

But let’s not go there, I guess

The real mistake was invading Afghanistan and spending Trillions of American taxpayer dollars.

But let’s not go there, I guess
The vast majority of Americans agree with this take, but most don’t approve of the way we left….I mean unless all those polls are wrong….

I wanted us to get out, I did not want us to embarrass ourselves, capitulate to the Taliban, leave Americans behind, remove our military and close Bagram BEFORE evacuating people and pissing off all our Allies. Mostly a nothing-burger though….

You can tell by the way that Biden won’t answer questions that it’s been a success outside of the few posters on here trying to have their “gotcha” moment.

The vast majority of Americans agree with this take, but most don’t approve of the way we left….I mean unless all those polls are wrong….

I wanted us to get out, I did not want us to embarrass ourselves, capitulate to the Taliban, leave Americans behind, remove our military and close Bagram BEFORE evacuating people and pissing off all our Allies. Mostly a nothing-burger though….

You can tell by the way that Biden won’t answer questions that it’s been a success outside of the few posters on here trying to have their “gotcha” moment.
The way I see it, the Taliban was going to take over. That was always going to be the end result. The speed in which they did it is embarrassing for all involved and it’s created a chaotic moment. Biden deserves some criticism but obviously people who didn’t want him as President are going to obviously lean on this hard. There isn’t a Trumpkin alive giving him the kind of free pass given to Trump when he gaffed

But what’s important is that we are out. It’s one of the things I agreed with Trump on and I was worried Biden wouldn’t follow through. Quite frankly, i was worried Trump wasn’t going to follow through given in 4 years he evacuated as slowly as possible.

Once this moment has passed the end result is the right one for Americans.

If they come after us again, we go back cause them pain (without doing any serious time there). If not, then we’ve moved on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT