ADVERTISEMENT

Texas supreme court - mask mandate

I hope that’s true. I am vaccinated, but tested positive for Covid last Tuesday. I’ve been in isolation since, and I’m currently sitting in the guest room listening to my 5 year old daughter cry because she can’t “kiss and hug her daddy”. I really hope that she isn’t exposed at school because we’ve gone to great lengths to not let me expose her to the virus.

This should not be political, but unfortunately, it has become incredibly political. As a father of two young children, I could care less what your politics are. I just want to keep my kids safe.
Hope you recover quickly. You are vaccinated and still got covid and we have a outbreak rsv because of masks. Now you want your kids to wear a mask and get the experimental vaccine?

I’m vaxxed friend.. I’d just never give it to a child when being in a car is many multiple times more dangerous to a child than Covid is. Reminder: The vaccines are still not approved and on emergency authorization. Why are we forcing that one people again? Vaccines don’t stop the spread anymore so it’s a choice that impacts ONLY the person

And masks literslly do nothing other than virtue signaling bullshit to the Low-T screechers in society

Take a deep breath - you’re in too deep mi amigo

we give our kids multiple vaccines. As soon as it is tested and approved for children under 12, we will give it to our kids.

I won’t argue with you about masks. Neither one of us is qualified to have an absolute opinion. Just about Everything I read from medical professionals say that they are a factor in helping reduce the spread of the virus. Everything I hear from Aggie friends who are pediatricians refute your POV. Personally I hate wearing them, but when it comes to my children’s safety, I err on the side of caution .

It’s also frustrating to be labeled “low T screechers” for having a slightly different point of view than you on this. I think that we need to get on with our lives, regardless of Covid. In this case, our response is worse than the disease itself. I also believe in the goodness of vaccines and that wearing masks helps slow the spread.

I hope that’s true. I am vaccinated, but tested positive for Covid last Tuesday. I’ve been in isolation since, and I’m currently sitting in the guest room listening to my 5 year old daughter cry because she can’t “kiss and hug her daddy”. I really hope that she isn’t exposed at school because we’ve gone to great lengths to not let me expose her to the virus.

This should not be political, but unfortunately, it has become incredibly political. As a father of two young children, I could care less what your politics are. I just want to keep my kids safe.
Why can’t she hug you? Put a mask on and put a mask on her and give her a hug. If you’re going to demand little kids be forced to wear a mask to receive an education, the absolute least you could possibly do is pretend they work.

Hope you recover quickly. You are vaccinated and still got covid and we have a outbreak rsv because of masks. Now you want your kids to wear a mask and get the experimental vaccine?
It’s not an experimental vaccine. It went through all the normal cycles of testing that every vaccine goes through. Thankfully the vaccine helped my body respond faster and recover more quickly than if I hadn’t taken it.

Why can’t she hug you? Put a mask on and put a mask on her and give her a hug. If you’re going to demand little kids be forced to wear a mask to receive an education, the absolute least you could possibly do is pretend they work.
Can we make a deal? I won’t tell you how to parent, and you won’t tell me. Fair?

It’s not an experimental vaccine. It went through all the normal cycles of testing that every vaccine goes through. Thankfully the vaccine helped my body respond faster and recover more quickly than if I hadn’t taken it.

I could be wrong but I believe they were allowed fewer testing cycles than normal. And I personally dislike the fact that, unlike other vaccines and meds the manufacturers have a release from liability.

Reactions: clayber
I could be wrong but I believe they were allowed fewer testing cycles than normal. And I personally dislike the fact that, unlike other vaccines and meds the manufacturers have a release from liability.

no. The only shortcuts were the breaks between rounds of funding. No steps were skipped.

Drop the attitude. Many of us have kids on here. Many of us have had covid and have had to isolate from them. Quit acting like a martyr. This affects all of us. And if you’re expecting masks to act as some sort of silver bullet to protect your child from being exposed then you are fighting a losing game.

Reactions: BDB99
This

No, not a vaccine that stops the spread of covid or the infection of covid.

You could do that forever. It’s never going away. The flu has never gone away. The common cold has never gone away. It’s a respiratory virus. The vaccine does appear to be very helpful to those at risk. Nothing is perfect.

I'm not a lawyer but can't the school leadership technically be arrested for disobeying a court order.

Good question, I’m not sure how this plays out but oddly fascinating to watch. Maybe ask the dude that thinks you can bring a class action lawsuit agains a judge because you don’t like their legal ruling. 🤣

Last edited:
It is scary how so many people lose their minds to media fear mongering and cannot make a rational risk assessment for their families and resort to emotions. If you have not read the CDC death rate information broken down by age, etc to get a better understanding of an individual's risk, then you are ignorant of the risks and have no basis for an opinion. As of 8-7-21 only 0.17% of all covid deaths were people under the age of 25. For you math genius types, that means 99.83% of all covid deaths were people 25 years old or older. And I have read and seen reports that most of that 0.17% had other serious health problems. That means the risk to healthy young people is almost zero. Also the CDC data shows that 79% of all covid deaths were people 65 and over. This obviously indicates that if you are elderly or have serious health problems you should probably take the vaccine. However if you are under 25 and healthy you don't need the vaccine. You are more likely to die from a host of other diseases like the regular flu. My wife and I are middle aged so we decided to take the vaccine even though we both had covid which may have been overkill after further review. My 19 year old daughter had covid and was fine after a couple days. I am advising her not to get the vaccine since she is young and healthy. Same thing for my 16 year old son. However I helped get my elderly mom vaccinated asap due to the above data. It's not a hard concept that different people have different needs

Last edited:
All of these quoted studies and tweets are incomplete and ignore nuances and other details that impact results.

in short, its all cherry picking just the right info to back your pre-determined view point.

like in the post above...what's the quality of the mask? Was fitment advised? Or was the same masked used all year so that the elastic bands drooped so much there was a 1" gap from their face?

In attempts for civility, we should try not throw "this tweet is a fact" at people, take that.

IMO, we pay our tax money to the CDC and NIH for this exact purpose. They are the closest thing we have to a source of truth, and they have had essentially the same people in place for decades, thru multiple administrations. They are slow, extremely conservative in nature, and terrible communicators of their conclusions/recommendations at times. But they do have data that should be trusted....by far over all other sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: bioaggie
All of these quoted studies and tweets are incomplete and ignore nuances and other details that impact results.

in short, its all cherry picking just the right info to back your pre-determined view point.

like in the post above...what's the quality of the mask? Was fitment advised? Or was the same masked used all year so that the elastic bands drooped so much there was a 1" gap from their face?

In attempts for civility, we should try not throw "this tweet is a fact" at people, take that.

IMO, we pay our tax money to the CDC and NIH for this exact purpose. They are the closest thing we have to a source of truth, and they have had essentially the same people in place for decades, thru multiple administrations. They are slow, extremely conservative in nature, and terrible communicators of their conclusions/recommendations at times. But they do have data that should be trusted....by far over all other sources.
Do you have a study you can provide that isn’t cherry picked or nuanced, and shows masks reduce cases/hospitalizations/deaths in schools?

Reactions: wick and RogueAggie

Reactions: RogueAggie
Thanks, I read the article and the study that it linked to. It makes a pretty definitive statement saying "Wearing masks is an effective strategy to prevent in-school COVID-19 transmission."

I didn't see anywhere in the study where they presented data to support this. Did I miss it somewhere? Did the authors even bother to compare the schools in their study with schools that did NOT require masks?

Did this "study" have a control arm? This is not a study but more a manipulation of a large data set. There is nothing in this that proves masks had anything to do with the data gathered. It just points to what we already know that kids are not passing this thing around regardless of masks. There is no Randomized Control of this so the authors are basically taking data they received from a large group and assuming the outcome they wanted to see was due to the masks. There is nothing proving this with a control arm

Last edited:
Reactions: darterbury
Thanks, I read the article and the study that it linked to. It makes a pretty definitive statement saying "Wearing masks is an effective strategy to prevent in-school COVID-19 transmission."

I didn't see anywhere in the study where they presented data to support this. Did I miss it somewhere? Did the authors even bother to compare the schools in their study with schools that did NOT require masks?
You're right. I didn't look closely enough. They compared to schools that offered the hybrid option (in-person & virtual). Not mask optional schools.

I wonder how many schools were mask optional during that time period in NC to compare to.

Reactions: DFNUTT

This is an incredibly funny post.

So all the studies don't take in to account wearing mask correct? And we are talking about school kids? Adults can't wear them right, but if we get the kids to wear them right it will be effective! "real mask wearing hasn't been tried before".....what an argument.

The CDC and NIH have been shown in the last year to be very political and bend to the will of whichever President is in charge. They are not close to a source of truth.

"they have data that should be trusted" except when they "accidentally" inflate Florida numbers because Desantis bad.

The CDC who changed school guidelines at the behest of teacher's unions should be trusted over other sources? The CDC director who said we didn't need masks then we needed masks should be trusted?
The NIH that funded the Wuhan lab should be trusted?

Uh, ok.

Also, on the nuance of the mask at all is not how specific people are wearing it. It's about how it will be implemented by real people in the real world not people who are constantly monitored in a lab environment.

Gotta trust the CDC director who says 2 year olds should be in masks.

The Austin order is not technically before the supreme court yet. But the supreme court's decision will either vindicate Abbott's authority statewide or not.
I guess I missed this last Thursday as it applied to Abbott’s EO and Texas ISDs. Looks like it gives the power to local districts to decide mask mandates until GA-38 gets fully reviewed by the supreme court.

I don’t want to dive back in to the mask efficacy debate. I just wanted to know if anyone has any insight on when the courts could decide this one way or another. Plano ISD just issued a mask mandate starting Thursday based off of the decision in the above article.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT