ADVERTISEMENT

Texas supreme court - mask mandate

I’ll never understand the whole mask debate. I get the concept of freedom of choice so spare me revisiting that retread of a topic.

I asked my kids what they want to do and they each said they’d like to wear a mask. I don’t personally care if they do or not. Mind you, my kids wore a mask the entirety of last year and it was less than ideal.

So do I have just some awesome resilient kids that can manage masks and straight As?

Wear a mask or don’t but to cry one way or another and think lawsuits, or whatever manifests as a trigger for you when it comes wearing masks, will be something I cannot relate to.
Wear masks or don’t is the right policy, which is actually no policy on masks at all. That way there’s no lawsuits and people fighting with each other. The mask mandate side is looking for a fight.

Reactions: texasguyto
The regulations governing school districts are state laws passed by the legislature. Districts do not report to the governor's office; Abbott has no authority to mandate anything, and he is setting dangerous precedents by grabbing more power than he actually has under the Texas Constitution. In the past, this issue would have been settled by an Attorney General's opinion, which would be binding on all state and local government agencies, including school districts, until overturned by a court.
Thank you. I love it when people pull crap out of their ass and pretend its Gospel.

Interested how this plays out locally in Eanes ISD. Been taking kids to camps at the schools and new student orientation and parents are anywhere from 10-50% masked up and kids barely at all depending on the event. Superintendent just said they were going with the Travis County order to mask now that staff can enforce it.
Yep. The first round of division was nothing compared to what this is going to do to the community. Just learned that they’re mandating masks for Chap Fest tonight and alot of the cheerleaders/football players aren’t going because of it. In the end the Supreme Court will settle it and the Super/Board is going to go along with whatever is put out by the state. They are not taking an independent stand on anything anymore.

Ha, touché. My kids all play soccer and I got roped into helping coach. Didn’t know a thing about the sport three years ago but have grown to really enjoy it and learned a lot. Adopted the Spurs as my team and actually follow it pretty closely now. Will readily admit it’s out of character for me and none of my buddies back in Texas share my sentiment at all. All good though…I like it.

I enjoy the sport and played a lot growing up, even into HS. Just busting balls. Like I give my BiL a ration of shit because he never played or cared until business school and a bunch of his classmates, especially from Europe and England were die-hard. He just up & adopted ManU because several buddies are die-hard for ManU. We actually went to the Manchester Derby a few years ago when City played United at Reliant. But, I give him shit for just randomly deciding in his mid-20s to become a hard core ManU supporter.

I still think that for the sport to be truly popular in the USA two things need to happen: 1) end the incentive to tie games. Ties are unnatural and unsatisfactory and antithetical to the American psyche; and 2) try to reduce the acceptance of flopping. Nobody like seeing a guy barely touched roll around like some sort of D-list actor.

Reactions: sigeast02
The regulations governing school districts are state laws passed by the legislature. Districts do not report to the governor's office; Abbott has no authority to mandate anything, and he is setting dangerous precedents by grabbing more power than he actually has under the Texas Constitution. In the past, this issue would have been settled by an Attorney General's opinion, which would be binding on all state and local government agencies, including school districts, until overturned by a court.

Having read the governor‘s order and the relevant portion of the Texas Constitution, I don’t believe this interpretation is correct and the state Supreme Court will rule in his favor as it has already done in a couple instances.

They required vaccination or a negative test to get in. Also UK is at 65-70% vaccinated so it’s a much safer environment overall

Not based on the ACTUAL effectiveness of the vaccines but I am glad to see people returning to normal and being in the stands for games.

He is operating under emergency authorization. If that is an issue the legislature needs to change it.

How long will it take them to decide on the mask mandates? HISD starts on 8/23, so just wondering if it's possible to be decided by then.
The Supreme Court just issued an order in Abbott's favor temporarily re-establishing his mandate while it considers the issue. This is known as "foreshadowing."

Reactions: clayber
The Austin order is not technically before the supreme court yet. But the supreme court's decision will either vindicate Abbott's authority statewide or not.

I believe there is a movement in Tennessee led by Candace Owens to start withdrawing the children and the monies from the schools.

Reactions: darterbury
Having masks optional/voluntary in our schools makes it too easy to identify the weak, liberal students. Leads to possible ridicule from the stronger, patriot children.

That’s why these urban Democrats want to mandate masks for all.

I believe there is a movement in Tennessee led by Candace Owens to start withdrawing the children and the monies from the schools.
Defunding the schools? That’s dumber and a more disconnected argument than defunding the police. This topic has made people brain dead on both sides of the argument.

Is there any legal recourse we as parents can use to fight these? Could a class action lawsuit be brought against some of these judges for breaking the governors mandate? What about a recall petition?
You should hire the most expensive attorney out there and start the lawsuit yourself. You will almost assuredly win.

• Haha
Reactions: Tailgate Ag
Having read the governor‘s order and the relevant portion of the Texas Constitution, I don’t believe this interpretation is correct and the state Supreme Court will rule in his favor as it has already done in a couple instances.

Oh, I agree that the court will probably rule in his favor and that this would be the ultimate resolution no matter which course was initially followed. I just wonder why the AG wasn't asked for a ruling in the interim, which is how such disagreements were always handled in the past. An AG opinion backing the governor might have cooled things down a bit.

Oh, I agree that the court will probably rule in his favor and that this would be the ultimate resolution no matter which course was initially followed. I just wonder why the AG wasn't asked for a ruling in the interim, which is how such disagreements were always handled in the past. An AG opinion backing the governor might have cooled things down a bit.

In a rational world you’d be correct but I don’t think an AG ruling would draw much water with these activists trying to flout the law.

Reactions: cstanfld
Any on you on here without kids under 12 starting school tomorrow need to STFU. You have nothing at stake in this argument.

Their taxes pay for the schools, though, so aren’t they shareholders in a sense? Again, 12 and under are still at low risk with delta even if media hype says otherwise. .06 out of 100,000 deaths.

Their taxes pay for the schools, though, so aren’t they shareholders in a sense? Again, 12 and under are still at low risk with delta even if media hype says otherwise. .06 out of 100,000 deaths.
Yet Dallas county has been out of ICU beds for kids for nearly a week now, and school hasn’t even started yet.

Sorry, but paying taxes versus sending your kid to school is comparing apples to elephants. Luckily, the vaccine should be ready for kids 5 and up by November-December.

do you ha w any kids under 12 starting school tomorrow? Are you a public school teacher? If no to both, then STFU.

My kids started school this past Tuesday.

And contrary to what’s being played in the media, doctors are seeing 3x as many kids with RSV needing and taking up hospital beds than covid. At least in the Houston area. Covid hospitalizations for kids are still like 0.045 per 100,000. same as they’ve been the whole time.

My kids started school this past Tuesday.

And contrary to what’s being played in the media, doctors are seeing 3x as many kids with RSV needing and taking up hospital beds than covid. At least in the Houston area. Covid hospitalizations for kids are still like 0.045 per 100,000. same as they’ve been the whole time.

I hope that’s true. I am vaccinated, but tested positive for Covid last Tuesday. I’ve been in isolation since, and I’m currently sitting in the guest room listening to my 5 year old daughter cry because she can’t “kiss and hug her daddy”. I really hope that she isn’t exposed at school because we’ve gone to great lengths to not let me expose her to the virus.

This should not be political, but unfortunately, it has become incredibly political. As a father of two young children, I could care less what your politics are. I just want to keep my kids safe.

Last edited:
You should hire the most expensive attorney out there and start the lawsuit yourself. You will almost assuredly win.
Hey pal. I'm only reacting to the shit my politicians are handing down to me and my children. I would give my left nut to meet your dumb ass in an unmarked location. Please give me the time and location to find YOU.

My youngest turns 7 on the 25th and was supposed to start school this past Tuesday, same as his 11-year old brother, but couldn’t. Persistent cough, fever up to 102’ish (controlled w/ meds), and lethargic with loss of appetite for almost 4 days. Thought it was covid but nope, RSV. Picked it up from day camp the week before (4-6 day incubation period) and got an email about an RSV outbreak. He’s 99% back- fever been gone since Thursday and the cough is getting better each day. Appetite and attitude back 100%. Pulse O2 never dropped below 95.

His pediatrician had ”several kids who thought they had covid but tested negative and were positive for RSV.“

My youngest turns 7 on the 25th and was supposed to start school this past Tuesday, same as his 11-year old brother, but couldn’t. Persistent cough, fever up to 102’ish (controlled w/ meds), and lethargic with loss of appetite for almost 4 days. Thought it was covid but nope, RSV. Picked it up from day camp the week before (4-6 day incubation period) and got an email about an RSV outbreak. He’s 99% back- fever been gone since Thursday and the cough is getting better each day. Appetite and attitude back 100%. Pulse O2 never dropped below 95.

His pediatrician had ”several kids who thought they had covid but tested negative and were positive for RSV.“

really glad to hear that your child is getting better.

Reactions: AggieInDC
I hope that’s true. I am vaccinated, but tested positive for Covid last Tuesday. I’ve been in isolation since, and I’m currently sitting in the guest room listening to my 5 year old daughter cry because she can’t “kiss and hug her daddy”. I really hope that she isn’t exposed at school because we’ve gone to great lengths to not let me expose her to the virus.

This should be be political, but unfortunately, it has become incredibly political. As a father of two young children, I could care less what your politics are. I just want to keep my kids safe.

I get that and I hope you get better but my boys have been repeatedly exposed, even to Delta, and nothing. Covid is not what’s driving normal, healthy kids into the hospital these days. It’s shit like RS.

Now, if your kids have some issues (friend’s kiddo has diabetes so they’ve been really vigilant, and rightly so) it might warrant more precautions but your kids are more than likely at a tiny, tiny risk.

Reactions: texasguyto
Hey pal. I'm only reacting to the shit my politicians are handing down to me and my children. I would give my left nut to meet your dumb ass in an unmarked location. Please give me the time and location to find YOU.

why an unmarked location? Can’t you not fight in public? why would you give up your left nut? You’re weird.

Hell yes. Now we’re talking.

Can you imagine being as unhinged as 1997 is? Who the F would give an unapproved vaccine to a child when their risk to Covid is 1/6th to say RSV or even the seasonal flu?
Yeah. You’re right vaccines are the scourge of the earth. So bad for humanity.

Yeah. You’re right vaccines are the scourge of the earth. So bad for humanity.
I’m vaxxed friend.. I’d just never give it to a child when being in a car is many multiple times more dangerous to a child than Covid is. Reminder: The vaccines are still not approved and on emergency authorization. Why are we forcing that one people again? Vaccines don’t stop the spread anymore so it’s a choice that impacts ONLY the person

And masks literslly do nothing other than virtue signaling bullshit to the Low-T screechers in society

Take a deep breath - you’re in too deep mi amigo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT