ADVERTISEMENT

Supply chain issues are real

Some questions are not being asked by the media.

1) why just port of LA and long Beach, why not any other ports in the country?

2. Why the shortage of truckers in CA? Is it all Covid related?

2 contributors are related two bills passed by the CA legislature.

One eliminated any truck older than 2012 to be available for new or re-registration in CA. Done to eliminate older trucks that emit more air pollution. Essentially halved the trucks that can be registered in CA.

The second was a sweetheart bill for the teamsters that reserved the Ports to only Union shops.

Combined, the two decimated the independent trucker in CA.

To save money on fleet modernization, union trucking firms use new trucks to pick up at the ports and deliver to distribution points where other trucks pick up the loads to go to the final destination. So when they got the Covid surge, they didn't have enough trucks. They also ran the independents out of business and many of those drivers left the industry or moved out of cA.

One eliminated any truck older than 2012 to be available for new or re-registration in CA. Done to eliminate older trucks that emit more air pollution. Essentially halved the trucks that can be registered in CA.

The second was a sweetheart bill for the teamsters that reserved the Ports to only Union shops.

To save money on fleet modernization, union trucking firms use new trucks to pick up at the ports and deliver to distribution points where other trucks pick up the loads to go to the final destination. So when they got the Covid surge, they didn't have enough trucks. They also ran the independents out of business and many of those drivers left the industry or moved out of cA.
Interesting. Had not heard this. I’d think that means the other ports will want/need to scale up to absorb demand. Though that’s a long and major investment to increase capacity at a port.

If you ordered two trucks full of hardware each week for the better part of the last two years, this would be no surprise for over a year. 30-40% fulfillment

You poor thing
No. My poor kids, since the woke mfers are so committed to “family” that they’ll enshrine the destruction of the family in name of feminism, then shittily claim their devotion to family and eschew their jobs for months at a time. I didn’t get months off when my children were born to wear some ridiculous breastfeeding apparatus and act like a goddamn cyborg. F&$k Buttgig. Let’s go Brandon.

New York, Jersey, Georgia and Texas are all on historic backlogs.

Georgia port authority is saying most of the long haul guys switched to e-commerce delivery. Amazon pays $3k sign on bonus, health insurance and at least $20 an hour. And you get to be home at night.

It is labor issues. The government is paying people to stay home. Private business can't compete against the government. Even the illegals are getting free food, health care, housing, they have no need to work.

New York, Jersey, Georgia and Texas are all on historic backlogs.

Georgia port authority is saying most of the long haul guys switched to e-commerce delivery. Amazon pays $3k sign on bonus, health insurance and at least $20 an hour. And you get to be home at night.
There's also a shortage of truckers across the country and tucks only have to have engines made after 2007 to pass CA current laws. It fits a narrative and that's what's important.

There's also a shortage of truckers across the country and tucks only have to have engines made after 2007 to pass CA current laws. It fits a narrative and that's what's important.
California, that maligned land of common sense and decency. So put-upon by the troglodyte unwashed masses who don’t share their commitment to all that is holy and important.

There’s so many truck drivers on the roadways. Driving DFW - Houston I-45 corridor is just weaving through semis. They seem to represent half of the traffic on the roads and it’s getting tangibly worse every 5 years or so.

The economy needs more truck drivers? Well, we do not have the infrastructure to traffic commercial and private vehicles safely anymore.

And everyone is saying for the supply chain to recover, there needs to be more trucks on the road?

Damn

I can't get styrofoam from my food supplier (Reinhart)
I can't get 5oz plastic cups from my medical supplier (Medline)

I don't think either of those products are made overseas so they shouldn't be waiting on a cargo ship.
Styrofoam is bad for the environment.

There’s so many truck drivers on the roadways. Driving DFW - Houston I-45 corridor is just weaving through semis. They seem to represent half of the traffic on the roads and it’s getting tangibly worse every 5 years or so.

The economy needs more truck drivers? Well, we do not have the infrastructure to traffic commercial and private vehicles safely anymore.

And everyone is saying for the supply chain to recover, there needs to be more trucks on the road?

Damn
I’d vote for more trains to transport both people and freight but the US seems to be anti train. Too many lobbying dollars from airlines and car manufacturers to ever get the country to support a project like that that would create tons of jobs and make everyday life better for most citizens.

Damn
Either that or they’re lying. Like they did about two weeks to flatten the curve, there will never be a vaccine mandate,

California, that maligned land of common sense and decency. So put-upon by the troglodyte unwashed masses who don’t share their commitment to all that is holy and important.
I'm sorry that you are so angry and I'm glad that you have this outlet to vent. I hope that you find peace.

Reactions: MeatWalletMassacre
Interesting. Had not heard this. I’d think that means the other ports will want/need to scale up to absorb demand. Though that’s a long and major investment to increase capacity at a port.

There are no other ports on the West Coast. You'd have shove everyone thru the Panama Canal, which may or may not be more expensive then waiting off the coast of CA.

My gut is that the other ports would not make that massive investment, when at some point in the future things go back to normal, and everyone goes back to using Long Beach like they used to, because it will always be cheaper than TX, LA, NY.

Reactions: cstanfld
There are no other ports on the West Coast. You'd have shove everyone thru the Panama Canal, which may or may not be more expensive then waiting off the coast of CA.

My gut is that the other ports would not make that massive investment, when at some point in the future things go back to normal, and everyone goes back to using Long Beach like they used to, because it will always be cheaper than TX, LA, NY.
Oakland and Seattle both have huge Ports that are both in the top 10 nationally. And there is LA which is separate from Long Beach.

I have seen plenty of rigs lately on the interstate here in Ohio, what they are hauling I haven’t a clue, though.

Hey look another thread where AY blames one political party for all ills and implies if only the other political party had the opportunity to make all the country’s decisions, then we would be the most perfect country in the world.

Reactions: RedshirtAg
Hey look another thread where AY blames one political party for all ills and implies if only the other political party had the opportunity to make all the country’s decisions, then we would be the most perfect country in the world.
Most of these problems are because one political party was adamant that we shut down the country, do everything by mail/internet, and print money we don’t have to pay people not to work.

looks like they’re on top of it now though:

GM of DQ here. It’s maddening trying to order supplies. We went almost 3 weeks without 44 oz cups , almost a week with Oreos, and it keeps going. Hard to tell week to week what we are getting . And yes, we almost didn’t get one of our deliveries because the driver just decided not to come to work, so they were about 5-6 hours behind. Fun times!

I'm sorry that you are so angry and I'm glad that you have this outlet to vent. I hope that you find
Most of these problems are because one political party was adamant that we shut down the country, do everything by mail/internet, and print money we don’t have to pay people not to work.

looks like they’re on top of it now though:
It doesn’t matter how full of shit he is. The “party of science” has anointed him beyond criticism or fact checking.

Someone needs to tell the private companies working on high speed rail that it isn’t feasible

you mean the private companies banking on massive government subsidies and eminent domain powers to condemn entirely new ROW? And a system meant to link decentralized MSAs with no real “last mile“ solutions? And serving areas already served more efficiently via air travel than rail could provide?

Reactions: cmergele
you mean the private companies banking on massive government subsidies and eminent domain powers to condemn entirely new ROW? And a system meant to link decentralized MSAs with no real “last mile“ solutions? And serving areas already served more efficiently via air travel than rail could provide?
You mean subsidized, just like the systems you mention? You also need to define “more efficiently”, to all of the people that have flown recently, 90 minutes to Houston, from the time I board the train sounds pretty appealing to me

Government funded is always taxpayer funded. Not okay with any of it. Amtrak was a failure that we keep paying for. Rail travel lost its innovation with Amtrak

Reactions: BDB99
The last mile solution at almost every airport is get an Uber or a rental car. If I have a 90 minute flight it’s really a 5 hour process from start to finish to get somewhere.

Reactions: Tom_100
It feels like there’s elevenbillionity people living in Houston and just a touch less living in DFW.

If a rail system can move a lot of people comfortably, I find it hard to believe it wouldn’t be used by everyone all the time.

It feels like there’s elevenbillionity people living in Houston and just a touch less living in DFW.

If a rail system can move a lot of people comfortably, I find it hard to believe it wouldn’t be used by everyone all the time.
What you don’t understand is that people love the Chili’s at Love Field or shitting with a bunch of folks at Buccee’s in Madisonville. Did I forget fruitcake in Corsicana?

No condoms at my local convenient store
Dude….. recycle? Turn inside out? Use a 40 gallon hefty trash bag? C’mon get creative!

Haven‘t worn them since high school, but I’m guessing those would work…

I think the high speed rail would be great and heavily used. More so than Von Lane, which is well used.

Dude….. recycle? Turn inside out? Use a 40 gallon hefty trash bag? C’mon get creative!

Haven‘t worn them since high school, but I’m guessing those would work…
If she buys into it - then it will work

So, this morning, I stopped by McDonalds near my place and picked up breakfast. Mickey D's was out of all paper and plastic bags, so everything ordered came in a happy meal box. Yeah... (and the pic below is my breakfast this morning)

Don't get political on this one, but what are some of the weirdest supply issues you guys have seen out there?

249904653_10225011555303753_367715006688586757_n.jpg
I’m in Homebuilding. That should say it all.

1. Long Beach and L.A. are our busiest ports when it comes from Asia. San Fran and Seattle just are not as connected. The L.A. area has the largest rail network coming east. In fact, the main line goes to Ft. Worth. It also has I-10 and I-40 basically coming in/out. These are the main southern routes east. Southern, as in I don't freeze over often.

2. There is a severe trucker shortage across America. Many industries (trucking, chemicals, utilities, refining, think outside) have an aging workforce. A large swath of their populations are baby boomers who either have or are retiring. Younger people haven't wanted these roles. I deal with this daily in my work.

3. It is not the number of trucks or their age. Not nearly enough drivers. See above. This has been a problem for the last 10-20 years. Nothing new, but now imports are backing up. Gotta have drivers to man the trucks. It's a perfect storm. Oh, and BTW, demand is way up too, go figure.

4. Quit blaming unions. That simply isn't in the top 5 of challenges with the supply chain. Most union trucking firms are the LTL (Less Than Truckload), or mostly local pickup/delivery. Long haul trucking companies are vastly non-union.

This simply doesn't have much to do with the "California Boogeyman" thing. With all of California's faults, it is STILL the 5th largest economy in the WORLD (over $3 trillion). They're doing something right.

1. Long Beach and L.A. are our busiest ports when it comes from Asia. San Fran and Seattle just are not as connected. The L.A. area has the largest rail network coming east. In fact, the main line goes to Ft. Worth. It also has I-10 and I-40 basically coming in/out. These are the main southern routes east. Southern, as in I don't freeze over often.

2. There is a severe trucker shortage across America. Many industries (trucking, chemicals, utilities, refining, think outside) have an aging workforce. A large swath of their populations are baby boomers who either have or are retiring. Younger people haven't wanted these roles. I deal with this daily in my work.

3. It is not the number of trucks or their age. Not nearly enough drivers. See above. This has been a problem for the last 10-20 years. Nothing new, but now imports are backing up. Gotta have drivers to man the trucks. It's a perfect storm. Oh, and BTW, demand is way up too, go figure.

4. Quit blaming unions. That simply isn't in the top 5 of challenges with the supply chain. Most union trucking firms are the LTL (Less Than Truckload), or mostly local pickup/delivery. Long haul trucking companies are vastly non-union.

This simply doesn't have much to do with the "California Boogeyman" thing. With all of California's faults, it is STILL the 5th largest economy in the WORLD (over $3 trillion). They're doing something right.
Well who/what should we blame?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT