ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Spencer, creator of the term "alt-right," to speak to A&M

I've come to expect some crazy shitbird stuff from this board, but I'm really in shock that you guys are defending having this guy on campus. I think some of you are really terrible.
So you can't defend free speech at a public university without being a terrible person?

I vehemently disagree with this guy, just as much as I disagree with Farrakahn or Quanell X.....but I certainly agree with their right to free speech at a public university....if that makes me a terrible person in your eyes, then so be it.

They are a public institution.......

As a public university that takes money from the government they are obliged to allow citizens to speak. It's a first amendment issue.

While I can appreciate and agree that the university is supposed to train people to excel, it is not its purpose to indoctrinate them. Unless diverse points of view are allowed to be presented and discussed then it just becomes a cult, or echo chamber. Allowing discussion allows the ideas to be explained, discussed and ultimately the bad ideas to be proven as such and dismissed.

Texas A&M's stance on this can be found at http://student-rules.tamu.edu/append11

It is not an anyone, anywhere, anything - all in the name of free speech - type statement. There are spaces designated for that use, there are other spaces not designated for the public to express themselves. The free speech reservable areas appear to be outdoor areas, as I had said before that feels appropriate. However, it is noted that Spencer will speak in a specific, large room inside Rudder Tower. I am curious how that came to be, who makes the reservation, etc.

Reactions: SpencerAg01
This guy has no place on our university stage. That lends legitimacy to his hideous rhetoric. His values do not align to our university's values, and he does not deserve the publicity this will give him. Not to mention the horrific publicity it will bring our school.

He can free speech all he wants elsewhere, but not on our stage. As alumni, we should all be pushing administration to remove him from the Rudder schedule. Regardless of your politics, this guy does not represent anything that our university represents.

Would we allow the president of NAMBLA to come speak about it being OK to molest boys? or an ISIS terrorist talk about blowing up mosques? No, we would not. Would you allow those speakers at your kids school? No, you would not. That is not a violation of free speech, its good sense.

Mr. Wiginton has been to Russia 16 times. His initial purpose of travelling to Russia was to find a wife and buy land to start a cattle ranch or a dairy farm.

I was responding to Dean who said the university should not give him use of facilities.
I agree fully. He can say whatever he wants, but A&M does not have to give him the platform to spread his racist views. I hope his talk at A&M is cancelled.

This assumes that he'd sell out whatever space he's in. Somehow, I doubt that's the case.

I doubt more than a handful of students would attend. Its non-tamu affiliated people that I'm worried will show up. Sometimes lunatics like this guy bring out every dipshit within 500 miles, like moths to a flame. And though his prior events were sparsely attended, his message has been given a media platform for the last week or so

Neo-nazis aren't exactly a natural extension of that. Or at least I hope not.
Hopefully not, but definitely an over-correction these guy's platform would fall on far fewer and deaf ears if it wasn't for "alt-left" as I have heard thrown around for a lot of the ultra PC SJW groups.

We are in a pretty ****ed up time politically where people like this 'alt-right' are even taken seriously.

Would you want this guy at your kid's school?

Do you want Kevin Sumlin spending his time in home visits explaining this to recruit's parents? "Mrs Hines, our University does not condone this speech, but free speech means we have to allow it to occur. Please understand that it does not represent our University's values or those of our student body." You think that plays well in recruits' living rooms??

Y'all really don't understand how the first amendment works on campus. A&M can't just cancel this or they are going to get sued. The free speech policy specifically states that decisions won't be based on the views espoused or the reaction to those views.

people got offended by a couple p***y jokes from an OL coach and you guys think this will go over well? We need to walk away from this asap

You guys are pretty shallow if you can't distinguish free expression from approval of the message. This one looks like an easy call but there is a scale on what is mainstream into fringe. Someone has to make the call where to draw the line. I would rather the free market decide than some bureaucrat.
Most think the black panther party is fringe and some BLM and Muslim Brotherhood. Some think Christian leaders represent hate. Who makes that call?

Dean is correct. There are designated Free Speech Areas on campus, as there are on the campus of any public school. I believe ours are around Rudder Fountain, and the Academic Plaza. I remember in the late 90s several, um, extremists (read: "crazies") being allowed to set up shop there to yell at me that I'm going to hell, show me pictures of aborted fetuses, etc. That's fine. Made my walk to class slightly more enjoyable.

Facilities, on the other hand, are different. Neither you nor I can just call up the university and say "hey, I need you to let me in to Kyle Field, because first amendment". And that's not just because it's a sports facility. Hell, the same would be true for freaking Heldenfels 201.

Free speech is not the same thing as free use. Someone needs to wake up and disallow this in Rudder. Kick his ass out to the free speech areas. Frankly, I'm outraged.

Last edited:
Big difference between protecting free speech and protecting hate speech. It's absolutely embarrassing for our university and any who believes in an equal society.

What would make A&M look good is media coverage of a mass protest outside the venue.

Big difference between protecting free speech and protecting hate speech. It's absolutely embarrassing for our university and any who believes in an equal society.
Problem is different people have different views on the definition of hate speech. If falls on ideological lines. The left considers border control motivated by racism

Dean is correct. There are designated Free Speech Areas on campus, as there are on the campus of any public school. I believe ours are around Rudder Fountain, and the Academic Plaza. I remember in the late 90s several, um, extremist (read: "crazies") being allowed to set up shop there to yell at me that I'm going to hell, show me pictures of aborted fetuses, etc. That's fine. Made my walk to class slightly more enjoyable.

Facilities, on the other hand, are different. Neither you nor I can just call up the university and say "hey, I need you to let me in to Kyle Field, because first amendment". And that's not just because it's a sports facility. Hell, the same would be true for freaking Heldenfels 201.

Free speech is not the same thing as free use. Someone needs to wake up and disallow this in Rudder. Kick his ass out to the free speech areas. Frankly, I'm outraged.

Agreed - tweet, email, phone call - anyone and everyone you can think of in university leadership.

As a public university what would be the difference between us banning this guy from talking on campus (assuming he pays the standard rent for facilities) and some place like Yale banning Donald Trump from speaking? Let him talk, let his supporters pay to hear him talk and some enterprising student can put the attendees on Facebook and everyone's happy.

Y'all really don't understand how the first amendment works on campus. A&M can't just cancel this or they are going to get sued. The free speech policy specifically states that decisions won't be based on the views espoused or the reaction to those views.

They do not have to allow use of university resources to any person who calls. This is simply not true.

They do not have to allow use of university resources to any person who calls. This is simply not true.

You're right, but if an individual follows university policy in reserving space and A&M denies them access based on their views then it's opening the university up to liability.

Are you an attorney? Do you work in Higher Education? I've worked as an attorney in Higher Ed and have delt with a similar situation. You don't know what you're talking about and I do.

You're right, but if an individual follows university policy in reserving space and A&M denies them access based on their views then it's opening the university up to liability.

Are you an attorney? Do you work in Higher Education? I've worked as an attorney in Higher Ed and have delt with a similar situation. You don't know what you're talking about and I do.

I'm not.

The nsdap was a reaction to the failure of democracy and the rise of communism in Germany. I don't think @rustyo is that far off saying that race based nationalism here is a reaction to the rise of the left and the obvious corruption in the media and government.

I read up on some university policies. Looks like you are spot on. Does this mean the university has zero ability to regulate the content of the speech in any University venue? Serious question.

If the President of NAMBLA wanted to talk about child molestation as a hobby or an ISIS fighter talking about suicide bombing - are these all allowed? nothing the school can do?

Problem is different people have different views on the definition of hate speech. If falls on ideological lines. The left considers border control motivated by racism

If you or anyone else affiliated with A&M can't recognize neo-nazism than I don't know what to tell you. That's what this thread is about it. It's not about what hate speech is.

At least take the discussion in a more interesting direction. Why is there a rise in white nationalism both here and in Europe? Why did whites overwhelmingly vote for Trump, including white women? This is a backlash and the alt-right attracts the fringe of this backlash.

If you or anyone else affiliated with A&M can't recognize neo-nazism than I don't know what to tell you. That's what this thread is about it. It's not about what hate speech is.
I discredited the guy and the movement.

I don't see much difference between this movement and Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. They all make me sick, but only one side gets this kind of reaction. If we had the same reaction to the black racists, who have the same ideas about blackness as these guys do about whiteness, then we'd be a lot better off. The ideal of a colorblind society has been completely lost. It's not really surprising to me that the there is an ugly reaction to the progressive left that has taken this form.

I don't see much difference between this movement and Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. They all make me sick, but only one side gets this kind of reaction. If we had the same reaction to the black racists, who have the same ideas about blackness as these guys do about whiteness, then we'd be a lot better off. The ideal of a colorblind society has been completely lost. It's not really surprising to me that the there is an ugly reaction to the progressive left that has taken this form.

Where did Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton say that there should be a "black only society" or that intra racial marriage should be illegal? They have asked for equal rights, not for superiority.

I don't know anything about Richard Spencer, but in the NPR clip he didn't say anything about a white only society. He is promoting white identity just like the race baiters promote black identity.

I absolutely defend the ability for this guy to come on campus and speak. As long as whatever group or individual followed the protocol available to all groups, I have no problem with it.

Universities should be places where a litany of viewpoints can be expressed, including those thatbarr patently offensive. Once we start banning speakers based upon content, we're pissing on the Constitution.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT