ADVERTISEMENT

Parler

56ag

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2019
Watched Parler CEO John Matze on Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartriromo. Twitter permanently suspends Trump then then along with Apple, Google and Amazon ban Parler, a competitor social media company, from their app stores. Then AWS gives Parler 24 hours to move all content from their servers effectively eliminating the competition. Big tech has been good to me as an investment but is scary with their control and power!

Watched Parler CEO John Matze on Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartriromo. Twitter permanently suspends Trump then then along with Apple, Google and Amazon ban Parler, a competitor social media company, from their app stores. Then AWS gives Parler 24 hours to move all content from their servers effectively eliminating the competition. Big tech has been good to me as an investment but is scary with their control and power!
Social media takes lead control of granting or denying the rights guaranteed Americans under the 1st Amendment of the Constitution of the United States

Last edited:
Isn’t this a political thread Mark? And have whatever opinion you want on this but it’s not a free speech issue. This isn’t a govt entity or body. This is a private entity and is no different than Mark banning a poster or deleting a thread or me telling somebody to get the **** out of my house.
again have opinions but just be correct.

Probably more an antitrust issue though arguably if they’re getting special government benefits then they could be subject to the first amendment.

It’s all bullshit, but aren’t they within their rights to censor or exclude anyone they want?
W
Isn’t this a political thread Mark? And have whatever opinion you want on this but it’s not a free speech issue. This isn’t a govt entity or body. This is a private entity and is no different than Mark banning a poster or deleting a thread or me telling somebody to get the **** out of my house.
isnt meant to be political. My business can tell a customer “you need to find another provider that can make you happy” and quit doing business with them. We should face the consequences of such decision but if we get so big and have the power to effectively kill competitor, it is different. Mark can ban me but if he has the power to limit or decrease my alternative choices, something ain’t right

It’s all bullshit, but aren’t they within their rights to censor or exclude anyone they want?
Yes and freedom of speech is an American ideal even beyond the first amendment. The free exchange of ideas was something most all promoted.

Not to mention simply having tech companies act as a surrogate to one political arm of our government doesn't necessarily avoid the issue. China's government routinely censored by having its companies and people do it for them.

It is a big problem any American should care about no matter your political leanings.

The fact that multiple firms with large market shares cooperated together in an action that removed a potential competitor to twitter, raises antitrust issues we have never had to consider before. It harms competition in the market place but for political reasons, at least on the surface. Very thorny issue imo.

Probably more an antitrust issue though arguably if they’re getting special government benefits then they could be subject to the first amendment.
moreover 1st amendment protection has always recognized limitations (you cant yell fire in a public forum that isn’t on fire).

love opinions. Wrong facts and incorrect statements claw at me

Reactions: jeffmc and ag22
I deleted my Facebook yesterday for good. Deleted Twitter Thursday. The only way things will change is if people leave the sites. Complaining about it does no good.
AggieYell is my only social media account. I love my fellow Ags and enjoy your diversity of ideas. Enriching life experience

moreover 1st amendment protection has always recognized limitations (you cant yell fire in a public forum that isn’t on fire).

True. There are very limited exceptions to the first amendment and any restrictions have to be narrowly tailored. I’m not sure what the right answer is other than a very few companies have such control over the flow of information over the internet.

Wait a second. It’s a political thread that has nothing to do with a government entity or politician.

That gives me a solid case of brain ache.

Call it whatever you want to - free speech issue, censorship issue, big tech power issue - nobody cares. There’s a coordinated effort by all the big tech companies to silence not only the sitting President of the United States, but many of us most influential followers as well. Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, it should be concerning that they wield that kind of power. You should also ask yourself if that’s the type of thing that happens in a free society or “other” types of government.

Parler may have an argument that Apple Store, Play Store, and especially AWS are essential facilities. So they could have a classic boycott or refusal to deal claim. They will all hide behind terms of service as a justification, not to mention that Apple and Amazon are not competitors with Parler. frankly it will probably work as a defense. I don't like it though and think there shoulf be an antitrust remedy.

The fact that they followed Twitter's lead on this and likely even communicated with Twitter based on Dorsey and Zuck's own congressional testimony about how they block users makes it even worse.

Reactions: Majic8Ball
tenor.gif

It’s all fun and games until you realize they’ll use their power against ideas and people you like.

Parler may have an argument that Apple Store, Play Store, and especially AWS are essential facilities. So they could have a classic boycott or refusal to deal claim. They will all hide behind terms of service as a justification, not to mention that Apple and Amazon are not competitors with Parler. frankly it will probably work as a defense. I don't like it though and think there shoulf be an antitrust remedy.

The fact that they followed Twitter's lead on this and likely even communicated with Twitter based on Dorsey and Zuck's own congressional testimony about how they block users makes it even worse.
Interesting ole Zuck testified he agreed social media companies needed more regulation and welcomed it. In the good old days under Dean Straub we were taught about barriers to entry protecting industries from increased competition. Zuck must have been taught the same

You bring up this is a political thread then you continue to comment on it lol

Wait a second. It’s a political thread that has nothing to do with a government entity or politician.

That gives me a solid case of brain ache.
First amendment arguments are purely within politcal domain. even bad ones that gripe about examples that aren’t 1st amendment abuses.
i just want to go to Aggie yell and read ****ing Carson green coming back. Not incorrect constitutional gripes.
why can’t we keep this ****ing shit to that? Are we ignorant?

Reactions: jeffmc
You can still use a browser on your computer or desktop view on your phone to access Parler.

Not having an app is inconvenient, but not the massive barrier to entry some are clamoring about.

Suspension of accounts is certainly nothing new. Not sure about the suspension of an app and how that fits into everything but I’m not sure why any tech company should be forced to provide it unless contractually obligated.

First amendment arguments are purely within politcal domain. even bad ones that gripe about examples that aren’t 1st amendment abuses.
i just want to go to Aggie yell and read ****ing Carson green coming back. Not incorrect constitutional gripes.

opie didn't mention 1A. He bitched about inherent power in the tech companies.

You can still use a browser on your computer or desktop view on your phone to access Parler.

Not having an app is inconvenient, but not the massive barrier to entry some are clamoring about.
The combo of Amazon denying Parler server and cloud service has to be considered. Hard to function that way.

Thanks PapaJack. Have a wonderful off-season. Sorry if I offended you.
Going to check out now and watch Erik play against Germain (if he gets any playing time today). Always record the games so I can fast forward when no Ags are playing

Last edited:
I followed the policy that the greater the audience the more prudent I acted during my career.

Hey you’re not going to get an argument out of me. I was one of the ones actively wanting the dumbass political threads to go away. Those threads ran away some of the better posters.

Reactions: jeffmc
Hold on. I noticed I had a response to a post and responded to it and then realized it had been switched over to another board. So this is where you guys talk politics now. Cool.

Reactions: Reckless75
Hold on. I noticed I had a response to a post and responded to it and then realized it had been switched over to another board. So this is where you guys talk politics now. Cool.
Where are we? Is this what it's like being on Parler right now?

... it’s a public place ... kinda like a Woolworth restaurant if you get my drift.

Reactions: IDRILL4GASOIL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT