ADVERTISEMENT

Afghanistan

What’s victory look like in these scenarios?

Could we really have made a long term difference? I don’t know but it seems like a long shot.
Dude, I don't know, maybe nothing different than what it is now and not . That may have been the only chance, but damn, they've been fighting each other since what, 2000 years before Christ? They're not stopping now, and they're not stopping in the future. That's what thousands of years of religious zealousness looks like.

Reactions: ck10782
Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden- none of them could figure it out because they don't want foreigners ruling them. Neither could the Russians or the British do anything. Stay out of Afghanistan. Lots of wasted treasure, and especially young men and women. Sad.
Technically, Trump didn’t start any conflicts. First president in 30 years not to.

Yes, but you can’t blame us for going in back in 2001. We had to do something to stop the immediate threat. Just should have exited sooner.
No, we had what we had to do. But leave it in a total vacuum?

That's at least twice someone in this thread refers to "wasted treasure" - did we go pirate all of a sudden?

Reactions: Ag98
Technically, Trump didn’t start any conflicts. First president in 30 years not to.
Technically I didn't say Trump (or Obama or Biden) started this conflict. But he didn't get out either. Didn't leave it any better- he was in office for 4 yrs and could have gotten out sooner. This is not a hall of fame moment for any of the 4 Presidents, none of them figured out a way to actually build a viable Afghan army and leave the country better than we found it. I'll also say I'm not sure that is/was possible to get in, build a country/army and get out- at least the way we in the West want it to look. Not in Afghanistan.

Reactions: Win77 and Agswag12
No, we had what we had to do. But leave it in a total vacuum?
Not saying there is a good answer. I get your point. But how what’s the alternative? Stay forever? It’s been 20 years. At some point the locals have to fight or fold.

We’ve learned that we have to basically occupy a country like this or have a huge presence to greatly limit terrorism. It will go back to being a full time terrorist base again and force us to spend another trillion to fix it down the road.

Reactions: ck10782 and AgLaw02
Buffer state for centuries between numerous world powers
Been in a war like state since the early 1700s
Not sure there is a solution to Afghanistan without a permanent security force
I don’t see the political will to stay in perpetuity

When they take Kabul, give them a couple days to celebrate and bring their dignitaries in, and then bomb the crap out of it from like several hundred miles away.

I had a brief trip to Kabul in 2004. The city was destroyed with all their buildings reduced to rubble. I asked my driver why did we bomb all these buildings? I was shocked when he told me this was the damage from the Russians. They never cleaned up and never rebuilt. That was very eye opening to me.

James Michener's Caravans gives fantastic insight into Afghanistan. It's one of his earlier works, but it's fascinating to read it now and to learn his thoughts on the state of the country in the era after WWII. One of the characters even speculates on the dangers of the crazies from the hills (Taliban) taking over one day, and what that could look like. It's during a chapter in the novel where the main character travels from Kabul to a more rural part of the country, and you learn how difficult it is to bring infrastructure and progress to the country.

Michener wrote it in 1963, so it's one of his earlier works. It's shorter than some of his monster epics, and is definitely worth the read. It's pretty amazing how little the country has changed since then. The country went to hell in a hand basket when Russia invaded, and it's been all downhill since. The cultural peculiarities that he wrote about are things that most Americans first learned after 9/11 when we started hearing stories from American soldiers.

The only possible answer is to turn the country into the next Germany or Japan, but I don't believe there's the will to do it, nor the money and time, and the infrastructure simply isn't there to find an easier way. It's a brutally harsh landscape and a beautiful but sh!tty place to live, and it's kind-hearted population is about to be smothered by extremist religious dogma. Sometimes, the world just sucks, especially for Afghans right now.

Reactions: oldag1980
2 thoughts...
1, What are the chances the Taliban shoot down a C-5 or C-17 full of evacuees? How would you like to be a pilot of a civilian airliner leased to evacuate people during this shitshow?
2, Does anyone think the guy in charge has enough cognitive ability to even understand what is going on right now?

Thank god, my family's land is in the Permian Basin...finally, independence from Middle East imports. We may be able to figure our shit out in 200 years. The Middle East...it will still be the same, well if Israel hasn't turned everyone except them into glass.
Sorry to tell you but we are not energy independent any longer. We were under Trump but Jim Crow Joe killed that as soon as he got into office. Stopped drilling, Keystone and other acts has forced us to start importing again. Why do you think Sleazy is begging OPEC to up production.

And here is the moral of the story. Stay the fk out of the Middle East, because, in the end, we die and they win...every fkn time.

I don’t think it’s possible to “win” because to pacify that part of the world you would have to literally commit genocide and kill tens of millions if not hundreds of millions. And even then you’d still have hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world who would rise up and a thousand years from now the remaining Muslims in the Middle East would rise up to fight.

I mean, these are a people who are trying to re-fight the bloody Crusades. And the SJW twits here are demanding mascots called Crusaders be renamed because it’s offensive to people for shit that happened 800-1000 years ago.

And here is the moral of the story. Stay the fk out of the Middle East, because, in the end, we die and they win...every fkn time.
When the ME fücks with us, I think the objective should be to enter and fûck them up American-style. Show them America Force. Then leave.

Rinse and Repeat.

But I have no military interests where I can make money from war and I’m no political science major.

Reactions: barseven7
That's at least twice someone in this thread refers to "wasted treasure" - did we go pirate all of a sudden?

It’s common nomenclature. Or have you missed the stories and statements from all stripes bemoaning lost lives and treasure in every conflict since Korea?

We spent how much and how long training and equipping the Afghanistan forces? And they will fall to the Taliban in less than a month.

Not quite a mission accomplished
They had all the time in the world to plan. It was bad enough Trump announced a date but when Biden pushed it back several months it gave them time to not just strategize but bribe officials to make it a cake walk. Most of the time there isn’t even fighting, just photo ops.

Reactions: arg1998
I don’t see the political will to keep bases operational at Bagram, Jalalabad, Shindand, Kandahar, Camp Dwyer, and FOB Delaram. I think something along these lines would be necessary, along with 100K combat troops and support personnel, to effectively maintain any semblance of peace.

I’m not upset we are leaving. Some people you just can’t help, and they gravitate to a Totalitarian Govt.

what I am upset about are all our supporters and the innocent people we are throwing to the wolves…who will be tortured and killed…along with $millions of weapons/equipment left behind for Taliban.

THAT is what I’m upset about.

Fair enough. I thought the argument for having feet on the ground to see what terrorists are doing might have some benefit.
If we had kept it to chasing and killing the terrorists and then a small contingent to monitor and kill any terrorist up ticks we probably would have been ok. And spent a lot less money…..and lives. But we did our usual dumbshit nation building routine. Giving them billions or even trillions of dollars to like us. They don’t give a shit about us.

If we had kept it to chasing and killing the terrorists and then a small contingent to monitor and kill any terrorist up ticks we probably would have been ok. And spent a lot less money…..and lives. But we did our usual dumbshit nation building routine. Giving them billions or even trillions of dollars to like us. They don’t give a shit about us.

The bigger the machine the harder it is to stop once it’s going a certain direction.

If there wasn't oil in the Middle East, no one would even give a shit.

Maybe at a point but the toothpaste is out of the tube and the terrorists do hate us. There is also apparently a trillion dollars worth of minerals there so maybe someone else will have a crack at getting that.

There is divorce and then there Divorce. They still come in flavors. This is too rushed, not planned and could be deadly.
I’m afraid you may be right. Biden is pleading with them to let everyone out. Trump was working on getting us out of there but his approach was…….we are leaving but if you harm a single american or our friends we will come to your house and extract revenge. One is strength….one is weak.

Yes, but you can’t blame us for going in back in 2001. We had to do something to stop the immediate threat. Just should have exited sooner.
Yes. We had a mission to end the terrorists. We chased them down and killed them and had their numbers down to about 200 holed up on Pakistan…including bin laden. Then the politicians decided to take over and stopped the mission and turned it into nation building.

Reactions: ck10782
Technically I didn't say Trump (or Obama or Biden) started this conflict. But he didn't get out either. Didn't leave it any better- he was in office for 4 yrs and could have gotten out sooner. This is not a hall of fame moment for any of the 4 Presidents, none of them figured out a way to actually build a viable Afghan army and leave the country better than we found it. I'll also say I'm not sure that is/was possible to get in, build a country/army and get out- at least the way we in the West want it to look. Not in Afghanistan.
To be fair, Trump was working on an exit.

2 thoughts...
1, What are the chances the Taliban shoot down a C-5 or C-17 full of evacuees? How would you like to be a pilot of a civilian airliner leased to evacuate people during this shitshow?
2, Does anyone think the guy in charge has enough cognitive ability to even understand what is going on right now?
I’m afraid a candy-ass is planning this exit. It will not go well.

You cannot make Afghanistan into any semblance of a modern democracy with a flourishing economy. All they understand is tribal warlords and might makes right. I think most men there see themselves as warriors first then some other occupation. Fighting is was they understand. This country was nothing like Japan, Germany or south Korea where we could rebuild a functioning country. We should have left after killing most of the terrorists and then paid the strongest somewhat rationale warlord to kill any US terrorist enemies that pop up.

Played golf with a Vietnamese couple today. He came out of Saigon from the embassy in a helicopter. He said " I have seen this act before". They both started with nothing and become successful in the restaurant business. Amazing what hard work will do for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT