ADVERTISEMENT

Afghanistan

BDB99

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Dripping Springs
Got a lot going on over there. Hope we can get everyone out before everything collapses. What does that place look like in a year? Will the only thing that says we were there be the weapons, vehicles and bases we left behind? Anyone close to the situation or know anything more than what is being reported. Doesn't look good

Reactions: jeffmc
I was against staying forever but heard one guy say a small presence there might prevent terrorist attacjs

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden- none of them could figure it out because they don't want foreigners ruling them. Neither could the Russians or the British do anything. Stay out of Afghanistan. Lots of wasted treasure, and especially young men and women. Sad.

Got a lot going on over there. Hope we can get everyone out before everything collapses. What does that place look like in a year? Will the only thing that says we were there be the weapons, vehicles and bases we left behind? Anyone close to the situation or know anything more than what is being reported. Doesn't look good
What's that place look like in a year?...the same as it did 3000 years ago. It NEVER changes. "If this is the Kingdom of Heaven, then let God do with it as he may." Balian, Defender of Jerusalem (movie)

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden- none of them could figure it out because they don't want foreigners ruling them. Neither could the Russians or the British do anything. Stay out of Afghanistan. Lots of wasted treasure, and especially young men and women. Sad.
Trump didn’t get us in to any land wars or into Afghanistan. He was getting the US out of Afghanistan. Don’t think he had any wars to speak of.

I don’t necessarily think we should stick around but if you break it you buy it. Seems like a presence like we have in Korea or Germany would have made some sense but I’m not confident that would have really helped anything long term unless the world backed it up and helped manage it. Feel bad for the ones who served over there today to watch it unraveling but I suspect they figured it would happen. At least the ones I’ve talked to.

Reactions: f2foxes2001
True. Fortunately we have enough here to last us the next 200 years at least. We should be able to figure something out by then.
Thank god, my family's land is in the Permian Basin...finally, independence from Middle East imports. We may be able to figure our shit out in 200 years. The Middle East...it will still be the same, well if Israel hasn't turned everyone except them into glass.

I don’t necessarily think we should stick around but if you break it you buy it. Seems like a presence like we have in Korea or Germany would have made some sense but I’m not confident that would have really helped anything long term unless the world backed it up and helped manage it. Feel bad for the ones who served over there today to watch it unraveling but I suspect they figured it would happen. At least the ones I’ve talked to.
We absolutely did NOT break Afghanistan. It was already among the worst places on earth before the US arrived. And for all the Afghan casualties over the last 20 years, that time period was a relative golden age compared to what went on before.

Reactions: wick
Funny how we hear nothing about this or the boarder till 2021 and now both are shyt shows.

Reactions: ck10782
Should have gotten out years ago with grace and a plan. This won’t end well.
There’s no such thing as a graceful exit. It’s ugly. It’s a divorce. You just commit and admit you shouldn’t have ever been there and move on.

We have too many powerful entities in this country that always lobby for wars which is why we repeat the Vietnam experience.

What's that place look like in a year?...the same as it did 3000 years ago. It NEVER changes. "If this is the Kingdom of Heaven, then let God do with it as he may." Balian, Defender of Jerusalem (movie)
Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite movies. Damn good.

Reactions: jbh3
What a shit show. We spilled so much blood and then just give it away?

There’s no such thing as a graceful exit. It’s ugly. It’s a divorce. You just commit and admit you shouldn’t have ever been there and move on.

We have too many powerful entities in this country that always lobby for wars which is why we repeat the Vietnam experience.
There is divorce and then there Divorce. They still come in flavors. This is too rushed, not planned and could be deadly.

Reactions: ck10782 and Win77
Based upon Russia's experience there and how we helped undermine them, we should have never gone in there to stay, but there are those who do not learn that we either commit the resources and have a plan to win, or stay out.
Having said that, we have the new Saigon and that may very well haunt not only the Commander in Chief but the perception by other governments and terrorists may be one that we do not have the resolve any more.

We absolutely did NOT break Afghanistan. It was already among the worst places on earth before the US arrived. And for all the Afghan casualties over the last 20 years, that time period was a relative golden age compared to what went on before.
We may not have broke it but we did invade them.

As a kiwi buddy of mine said when we got started over there post 9/11, ‘don’t
**** around, you boys should turn big rocks into little rocks with a few well placed nukes and teach’em a lesson’

It’s what we do.
If you recall the end of Charlie Wilson's War, when his support of the Mujahideen led to the ejection of the Russians, went back to his fellow congressional members and asked for more funding for schools, reparations, universities, etc. in Afganistan. It was not supported. And, as it was said at the end of the movie, we won, but, as always, we fkd up the end game.

If you recall the end of Charlie Wilson's War, when his support of the Mujahideen led to the ejection of the Russians, went back to his fellow congressional members and asked for more funding for schools, reparations, universities, etc. in Afganistan. It was not supported. And, as it was said at the end of the movie, we won, but, as always, we fkd up the end game.
What’s victory look like in these scenarios?

Could we really have made a long term difference? I don’t know but it seems like a long shot.

Reactions: barseven7
And here is the moral of the story. Stay the fk out of the Middle East, because, in the end, we die and they win...every fkn time.

Reactions: wick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT