ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Talking Points

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
We are never ever ever getting back together (or, we don't watch your network in my house)

There was an interesting read that came out today by Clay Travis in Outkick the Coverage, in which he speculates that A&M now has the votes needed to block Texas from ever joining the SEC. His theory is that A&M has allied itself with Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and Florida as part of the one state, one team club and that they would also vote against including Texas (or any other team from this state) in the SEC. A&M, in turn, would vote against Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville and FSU or Miami, which is no big deal to the Aggies.

That's Travis' theory. I'll do him one better: I KNOW Texas doesn't have the votes to get into the SEC, and it never will. This isn't rocket science; this is basic self-help stuff, and it adds up to Texas has a better shot of joining the NHL than it does the SEC.

Here's why.

First, the clique that Travis refers to is very real, and A&M is most assuredly made it clear to the administrations of the other four schools that, if you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours. But A&M has other allies here: remember, Arkansas left the SWC at least in part because they were fed up with Texas' crap; they're not going to turn around and do them any favors 25 years later. I doubt there's any friendliness between Texas and Alabama after the last couple of years, and it's doubtful at best that LSU would support the addition of Texas.

Oh, and who's the chancellor of Mizzou again? I hear that Bowtied one has a little chip on his shoulder when it comes to that other institution.

So there's 8 teams, at least, who would oppose Texas. That's an outright majority block, and you need 2/3 of the teams to support your inclusion. I don't think Texas would have the nerve to ask for admission to the SEC, because it would mean bowing down to A&M, but if they were -- they'd face the double humiliation of rejection. So, horns, take your network and shove it.

Something worth noting

I worked up a preview for the ASU site on A&M last night, and noticed something interesting. Daeshon Hall had 4.5 sacks last year, which isn't too bad considering the amount of playing time he got. But here's what's interesting: 2.5 of those sacks came when he was on the field with Myles Garrett. What's he going to be doing this year? Starting across from Myles Garrett.

I see you working, John Chavis. I see you.

Taking a shot at the redshirt derby

We've got two weeks until camp starts, so a lot of things can and will change. But here's my guess at how the 2015 recruiting class goes as far as seeing the field this season.

Kyler Murray: Plays
Daylon Mack: Plays
Christian Kirk: duh
Jay Bradford: Redshirt
Kemah Siverand: Redshirt
Justin Evans: Plays (duh)
James Lockhart: Plays
Jake Hubenak: Plays
Kendall Bussey: Plays
Kingsley Keke: Redshirts, if possible
Richard Moore: Plays
Dwaine Thomas: Plays
Jordan Davis: Plays
Justin Dunning: Possible redshirt, may play on special teams
Larry Pryor: The same
Landis Durham: Redshirt
Riley Garner: Redshirt
Roney Elam: Plays
Deshawn Capers-Smith: Plays
Daniel LaCamera: Redshirt
Keaton Sutherland: On the bubble, leaning redshirt
Connor Lanfear: Also on the bubble
Erik McCoy: Redshirt
Trevor Elbert: Redshirt
Damion Ratley: Plays
Claude George: Plays

For Bradford, I think playing the conservative approach is best. For the guys on the bubble, I think it's this simple: if they're in the two deep, they're playing, but otherwise, they're not going to just burn a shirt -- especially on the O-line, where there is some competition. Koda Martin, Tank Davis and Jeremiah Stuckey could make it possible for Sutherland and Lanfear to redshirt if they're not vastly superior. I think both corners will get a shot, because A&M needs to see what they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News