ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday rapid fire from SEC Media Days (updated at 1:30 p.m.)

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Alabama is here today, so the lobby is packed. Arkansas is too, and nobody cares. Mississippi State is, and their fans showed up yesterday for reasons I don't understand. Regardless, a lot of A&M foes on day 3.

Some stuff that you may not have seen or missed:

Vernon Jackson's 2019 is already over. Jimbo said yesterday that they're going to keep him out for this season and then re-evaluate him. That's a prudent course, but doesn't make you feel overly confident about his future.

Kenyon Green starts at tackle. And by starts, I mean that's where he'll practice and play. Not that he'll be in the starting lineup.

The return of the A&M-Texas game was a topic of conversation between a lot of people in Hoover and a few in Dallas (because only a few went to B12 media days!). Tom Herman wants it back. Jimbo said he'd support it if it was in the best interests of A&M -- and then immediately said A&M's booked for a decade.

The loss to A&M is really grating on LSU. Their media guys asked about it repeatedly yesterday. Kellen Mond added fuel to the fire by saying A&M was feeling good near the end and LSU was cramping up and physically struggling. That started a Twitter war between A&M and LSU players still in college and in the NFL.

Mond says he thinks he's the best QB in the SEC, but he also has to go and prove it. Expect most stories to eliminate the final part of his quote.

Mond related that he knew he and Jimbo were on the same page when he went to the slideline with 1 second left against LSU and Jimbo asked him what play he wanted called. He said he wanted the play that they ran -- and Jimbo had already picked it.

Kirby Smart said he's found the way to beat Alabama -- "get their backup out of town."

Smart and Jimbo both got the "Nick's assistants are 0-16 against him" question, and Smart got mad at it. Jimbo mocked it and said, "No, I've never, ever heard that before." He heard it at least three different rooms yesterday.

Jimbo likes the defensive front. Justin Madubuike thinks it's going to be really good. Guys on offense think it's better than really good.

More as the coaches blab today.

Update at 1:30 p.m.:

Nick Saban says the Crimson Tide did not play well at the end of last year. I'll agree with that. He blames himself. I don't know about that.

Chad Morris had some good things to say about Nick Starkel, but also expects the QB competition to last all the way through fall camp.

LSU CB Kelvin Joseph has entered the transfer portal (again). I don't think LSU really cares at this point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News