ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Thoughts

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Apologies for none yesterday, but the stomach bug that had Cody last week got me over the weekend and it knocked me for a loop. I can at least sit up today, so let's get to it.

Looking at hoops for next year (it's always next year, isn't it?)

I'm not going to waste much, if any, time discussing the NIT. Even if A&M wins it, it's a profound disappointment for a team that simply needed to win one game over the past two weeks and didn't do it. Yes, Danuel House was hurt, but still, they have the talent to have gotten it done. They were outhustled, outplayed and outcoached. For a team to know what's on the line and come out as flat as they did in the second half against Auburn is inexcusable.

Conversely, it looks like there's a lot of reason for optimism next season. A good portion of that hinges on House returning next year, but rumors I heard a few weeks ago that he was leaving have died down considerably. Losing Kourtney Roberson and, to a lesser extent, Jordan Green will hurt, but the incoming class of star players should offset those losses. While the Aggies were watching their season go down the toilet last week, several of the incoming class were winning state titles. Big man Elijah Thomas won MVP honors as Lancaster won their division, and D.J. Hogg hit the state-winning shot at the buzzer for Plano West. Those guys, along with Admon Gilder and Tyler Davis, are going to be put right into the rotation next year. Normally, you wouldn't want a pair of freshman (Davis and Thomas) in the low post, but these guys are not your normal freshmen. They're pretty stout for their age.

Adding some of these guys provides some options, too. Hogg can be either a 2 or a 3, and the addition of Thomas means you may be able to move Jalen Jones out of the 4 slot, even though he's had some pretty good success there this season. It definitely provides flexibility.

So, this is a proposed breakdown, with the assumption House returns:

Starters: Davis, Jones, Hogg, House, Caruso
Second team: Tavario Miller, Thomas, Gilder, Allen, Robinson

Or, if you want to go big, Davis, Thomas, Jones, House, Caruso.

Is this a lot of pressure to put on kids? Probably. But there's a reason they were considered blue-chips, and they don't sit in hoops. I'm sure cat will pick this apart, but it seems to me that there's potential for a very good basketball team next year. Now, let's see what is done with this potentially strong group.

Baseball and injuries: If anyone can handle it, they can

The Aggies started off SEC play impressively, dismissing Auburn in a 3-game set to move to 21-0. The weekend started with bad news, however, with ace A.J. Minter lost for the year with an elbow injury that will require Tommy John surgery. That's the second ace they've lost this year, with Tyler Stubblefield tearing up his ACL before the season even began. So what do the Aggies do? They go deeper into a wealth of solid arms. Now Grayson Long is the Friday night starter, with Matt Kent and freshman Turner Larkins behind him. But what sets the Aggies apart, at least through this part of the season, is the bullpen. Kyle Simonds has pitched nearly 16 innings and hasn't been scored on; three other guys have at least 8 appearances haven't given up a run. Ty Schlottman has been in 12 games and has given up a single run. When you've got that many guys performing at a high level, you can survive a couple of injuries, no matter how key. Rob Childress came to A&M with a rep of developing pitchers, and, through 21 games, he's certainly proving that this year. A lot can change now that we're in SEC play, but if the bullpen stays strong, the Aggies will remain a top-10 team.

Good signs in recruiting

Just a few notes here: Trayveon Williams, the RB from C.E. King, had A&M in his top 10 schools that he released at the end of last week. But, to be more precise, the Aggies are likely his leaders. If the Aggies add Williams and Devwah Whaley, they'll have my personal top two backs for this class (I'll break all that down tomorrow in Talking Points -- subtle plug).

The one that got my attention was Dontavious Jackson, the stud linebacker, wearing A&M gloves at the Nike Camp. That doesn't mean he'll be a commit (see Sheffield, Kendall), but more often than not it means very good things (see Noil, Speedy and Murray, Kyler). And, more simply, wouldn't you rather him be wearing Aggie gloves than some other program's? Now, it's up to A&M to keep in his ear and land him.

Tyrie Cleveland ran a sub-4.4 40 at the Nike Camp -- twice. Speedy's still a little faster, but that's really nice.

Killeen Shoemaker DT Kendell Jones weighed in at 6'5", 364. Uh, yeah. If you can get this guy, do it. Please.

Fletch's interview with Patrick Hudson was illuminating, if short, but Hudson doesn't talk much. For him to say he will come back and visit A&M and that the staff continues after him reiterates what we'd heard for a while: that the Aggies think that they can flip him back, especially once the high school football season ends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News