ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday practice notes

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
He's baaaack...
Yes, Demond Demas was on the field today and was full go. So feel free to get excited! Or not. Whatever.

No full pads today; just helmets and shoulder pads.
Quite a few guys weren't out there. The big one: Luke Matthews. That's getting to be a real concern. Jordan Moko and Hezekiah Jones were also out, and I don't we'll see Hez for at least week 1. Jayden Peevy and Andre White weren't out there for the defense. Blake Smith wqs suited up, but I think he was just doing conditioning work.

The first team was led by Haynes King, with Isaiah Spiller with him. The wideouts were Ainias Smith, Chase Lane and Caleb Chapman, but they also went with a two tight end set with Max Wright and Jalen Wydermyer. Up front were Deuce Fatheree at left tackle, Aki Ogunbiyi at left guard, Bryce Foster at center, Layden Robinson at right guard and Kenyon Green at right tackle.

Zach Calzada had the 2s with Devon Achane. His wideouts were Demas, Moose Muhammad and, Devin Price (who was in a no-contact jersey). Baylor Cupp was the tight end. Up front were Jahmir Johnson at left tackle, Josh Bankhead at left guard, Matthew Wykoff at center, Smart Chibuzo at right guard and Blake Trainor at right tackle.

What to make of the offensive line? Not much at the moment, I don't think. That's not going to be the day one lineup, almost certainly. But you've got to like what Deuce Fatheree is doing if they're willing to throw him in there with the 1s in his first fall camp. Just reinforces the belief he's the left tackle of the future and they're repping these guys just in case. And you have to be impressed with Foster, who was at right guard two weeks ago, getting to the point where he's even getting snaps as the first team center. I'm still very concerned about giving that task to a true freshman, but in terms of holding up physically, there's not much doubt he can do that.

I didn't get a very good look at the defense, but it did seem like Shemar Turner and Tunmise Adeleye got at least a few reps with the backups. More importantly, Donell Harris was back out there. That's a big one, IMO.

As for the QBs, it seemed like there was a stretch in practice where King got a lot more snaps than Calzada. Then it was one rep each, with a rotation. The other QBs got NO snaps. Both had bouts of inaccuracy early, but then King threw a couple of absolutely gorgeous deep balls to Ainias and, if I remember right, Moose. Just right on the money.

At this point, I think the receiver group is Lane, Chapman and Ainias to start, Demas, Moose and Price with the 2s.

For the first time, I saw Dametrious Crownover. He is a very large man, especially for a tight end and that's where he is right now. It looks like he needs some work, but he's massive.

Demas was running at full speed and he can still burn. Caleb Chapman looks like he's also 100%, so in terms of weapons, they're getting guys healthy at the right time. Yulkeith Brown got Jimbo's ire but cutting a route too sharply when he was supposed to fade deep, but he can also go.

Earnest Crownover looks really good. He may hang on to that third RB job. They're definitely making LJ Johnson and Amari Daniels earn PT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News