TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

NIL crackdown coming?

As you've likely noticed, there's been a backlash against NIL of late -- not because it exists, but because it's been abused. The big issue of contention are the actions of boosters or booster-led collectives who have either made agreements with recruits before they sign their national LOIs, or have tampered with players already in college in an effort to get them to transfer. Situations like those with Texas WR Xavier Worthy seem to have been the breaking point for ADs around the country, who want action.
The NCAA is acting like they think they can do this retroactively, where they can sit down players who have already signed and get them to talk. I think the chances of that are slim to none. Their findings wouldn't lead to any impact on their eligibility, but could be used against the schools in terms of sanctions for not controlling their boosters.
The idea that ADs are advocating is for the NCAA to go after obvious cases immediately after new guidelines are released, which could be soon. Honestly, though, unless there's a case that's blatant (Miami, perhaps), it's going to be hard to stop any deals that have already been made with players who are already signed. The best the NCAA could do is hit boosters or collectives who have made deals with members of the 2023 class well before they have any ability to sign (as has been rumored with Tennessee).
It's probably an easy argument, or at least one that would hold things up in court, to make that the NCAA's really vague rules left a lot of open interpretation. And there will almost certainly be lawsuits if any retroactive action is attempted. The best the NCAA can hope for, probably, is to set guidelines ASAP and have the Power 5 conferences on board with enforcement. And that would start with the 2023 class. The objectives, IMO, are likely three-fold: no signing deals with kids before their LOI is in; no tampering with players in other programs and no "pay for play", where deals are based on performance. Then, if boosters screw around and violate those rules, programs get hit.

Other changes coming that will help A&M

As ADs look for the NCAA to do something -- anything -- on NIL, the institution itself is getting stripped down to the bolts in a rebuild. There are a bunch of rules that are likely to change soon, and the changes will benefit big money programs like A&M.
First, there's a very good chance that the 25-signee per year limit will be abolished, with a cap on how many players can be signed over a multi-year period taking its place.
Here are some of the other changes suggested, which will also require agreement from the conferences:
• Eliminating scholarship caps on sports that currently offer partial scholarships. You can bet Jim Schlossnagle is all for this one, because this would mean sports like baseball could offer full scholarships to all of its signees -- if the athletic department has the money and the conferences agree. Right now, the maximum scholarship level for baseball is 11.7 scholarships for a 35-man roster, which makes zero sense. With the changes, it could go up to 35 for 35. That would be quite an inducement for players.
• No limits on coaches per team. That would mean "analysts" could become full-time coaches, meaning they could make more money AND they could all recruit on the road. For teams like A&M, who have extremely talented analysts like Nick Williams or Antonio Cromartie, this would be huge.
• Establishing windows for use of the transfer portal. This one should get the support of everyone, because it will make it easier for programs to set up their teams and for players to find landing spots.

Some of these moves would be extremely big, but it looks like they'd all help A&M in some way, shape or form.

Defensive line news
We've got a long way between now and the season opener, but it's looking like the starting defensive line could well be Tunmise Adeleye, Shemar Turner, McKinnley Jackson and Fadil Diggs. I've heard that group several times already, even though a bunch of the freshmen won't arrive for another three weeks (23 days, technically).
Diggs got a lot of attention this week on the banquet circuit as Jimbo made the rounds. He hit Houston Wednesday for the Touchdown Club lunch and the A&M Club Coach's Night. Diggs was described as a hard worker and a guy who is becoming a team leader; Jimbo said he's taking on the Micheal Clemons role as the guy who never takes a play off and brings maximum effort.
Jackson was out this spring after offseason surgery, but his recovery is on track and he'll be back for training camp. That much we knew, but I've heard some good things about him improving his strength and explosiveness. I thought those were pretty good anyway.
Turner is the one that could be the head-turner this fall. I speculated he might be a DE this season, but there was no doubt in camp that he had become an honest-to-goodness tackle. Jimbo indicated he's continuing to grow and get stronger, saying earlier this week that "(Turner) and God keep having conversations and there's nothing we can do." Remember, this guy was a freshman All-SEC player last year, even if he was undersized in the middle. He's not anymore.

Q&A with 4-star RB Cedric Baxter (Courtney)

(AggieYell) You were telling me your top five schools (A&M, ), and officials will probably be taken to each of those…can you first go over A&M — what you like that put them into the top 5?

(Cedric Baxter) I grew up a Florida State fan when Coach (Jimbo) Fisher was there. Watching what he does as a leader, what he does with running backs and how he develops them, that is a big thing. On top of that he is just a great dude. The way he uses his backs is big. Also Coach T. Rob (Tommie Robinson) The running backs coach, he was out at our first day of spring practice.

(AY) you mentioned that your parents are involved in the process, and that you lean on them for direction. What do they think of Texas A&M?

(CB) When they went out there for the first time, they loved it. My dad is the reason I liked Florida State growing up, so he likes Coach Fisher.

(AY) what is the main thing that your parents are looking for in a school?

(CB) they want what is best for me, and also just wherever I feel best.

(AY) is there a place that already feels like home?

(CB) No ma’am, not yet.

(AY) what are your thoughts on leaving home, to go to another state to play college ball?

(CB) going somewhere that feels like a family, it will be OK.

(AY) do you know what you want to study?

(CB) yes ma’am, communications.

(AY) when will you make a final decision?

(CB) i’m not sure. God will let me know the right time.

(AY) what is it that you like about the other schools in your top five?

(CB) Arkansas - I like them, because their O-line coach is the head coach. That means they’re going to run the ball . There was a great vibe when I went up there, and great people.

Texas I like because they run a pro style offense. The running back coach has been recruiting me since he was at Georgia Tech. We have a great relationship. Outside of football he is a real dude.

Miami, just like Arkansas, the head coach is the O-line coach, so they are going to run the ball. The running backs coach played with one of my coaches in college.

Florida, they use three backs, guaranteed. That means everybody is getting to run, and it doesn’t take a toll on your body. I also like that they have two full-time O-line coaches.

(AY) What have you seen from A&M‘s Offensive line?

(CB) I know their O-line is real good. When they’re all healthy I can’t imagine what it will be like.

(AY) Outside of football how would you describe your personality?

(CB) I’m a homebody.

(AY) So A homebody, does that mean it could possibly be difficult for you to leave the state?

(CB) no, what I mean by that is that I just like to chill at home when I’m not playing football.

(AY) The times you’ve been to Texas A&M, what is the biggest thing you took away?

(CB) The people. A school can have a great history, and all kinds of things they’ve done in the past, but without the people in the building now it wouldn’t be the same.

(AY) What Coach do you talk to the most?

(CB) I talk to Jimbo a lot. I could call him right now and I bet he would answer the phone.

(AY) how would you describe Jimbo?

(CB) he is very outgoing. When we aren’t talking football he is really cool and chill. My defensive coordinator knows Jimbo really well.

(AY) what is something we don’t know about you?

(CB) (laughing) Well, I have a thing that nobody knows… Before every game I listen to Adele.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News