ADVERTISEMENT

This may be the new normal for coastal homes..........

DentonAg80

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...2746f766d814de8aee5672e2c3114c6&ei=61#image=6

These homes are elevated and the neighborhood's roads are raised to prevent flood damages. Gobuty told DailyMail.com: 'The first floor of the house, you're actually 16 feet above the flood zone. So it just gives people that confidence and it obviously gives insurance companies the confidence that this home won't flood.' Steel straps connect the floors and the roof is completely made of steel. The first floor of every home is a solid concrete layer. Walls are framed with two-by-six lumber pieces - standard homes only use two-by-four pieces of wood - and filled with hard foam insulation. The windows are all PGT Hurricane grade, meaning they are designed to withstand storms.

Solar panels are connected to vertical seams on the roofs, which makes them less likely to fly off during hurricanes or other storms. These solar panels connect to back-up batteries to power the homes during power outages. So, on Thursday when power went out in Cortez, these batteries turned on to keep Hunters Point's lights on. When batteries are in 'emergency mode', they stay fully charged just in case power goes out. Developers discovered that even if the sun did not come out to charge the batteries, they could still power the homes for about 10 days. Gobuty told DailyMail.com: 'We're generating our own power, and we're actually generating more power than the house needs.' Pictured: Hunters Point can be seen right behind homes that there hit hard by Hurricane Helene.

He said: 'I know at least the one person I talked to had power through the storm even when the county lost power. 'There wasn't any damage to any homeowners - no water damage. 'So, from my understanding, everybody seems very happy.' Gobuty was pleased with how well Hunters Point held up during the storm. 'I couldn't dream it to be better because it was such a rough storm,' he added. Only seven or eight people live in the Hunters Point community full time. Hunters Point is still being built up, only 31 of the 86 homes are completely built. The houses sell for more than $1.25million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.