ADVERTISEMENT

This is only for 87ag, no need for anyone else to respond…

Aggiesandastros

Gold Member
Dec 21, 2004
I’ve decided to take this on as project that must meet expectations.

Let’s just say, for arguments sake, that a random team has played 12 games of legal competition within whatever league helps this make the most sense. In those 12 games they’ve lost 6 times. That would bring their record to a percentage of (in baseball terms) .500. This much I’m confident we can agree on.

Now, let’s say that same team that lost 6 of their first 12 games goes on a massive winning steak and wins their next 32 games. That puts that team 32 games above .500. Cuz it’s a WINNING percentage. You still with me? If they had lost all 12 of those games prior to going on a 32 game win streak, they’d only be 26 games above .500. Cuz the number of losses versus the number of wins is what dictates the .500 line. Its likely different for every single team depending on the number of losses they’ve accrued. You can’t just take the number of games, divide it by 2 and call the difference .500. That’s just not how it works when calculating a winning percentage. That’s what that term represents. It’s a percentage of how often you win, not how far above the median of the games you’ve played. Does that help?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News