ADVERTISEMENT

Stats of the Game

KeithDB

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Two different rushing stats top the Stats of the Game this week.

1. 55 rushes for 310 yards, 5.6 ypc. It was a joy to watch a bevy of runners gash a SEC defense on the road. Most impressive was the 4th quarter running where the Florida defense knew we were going to run and still couldn't stop it. With the Gators stacking it up to stop the run we just kept moving the ball and chewing up the clock in two late game drives. When was the last time that happened?

2. Marcel Reed 13 rushes for 83 yards, 6.4 ypc. Our quarterback was the second leading rusher on the team, behind Moss's 110 yard on 18 carries, but it was Reed's running that early on changed the character of the game, setting the tone for the offense for the rest of the game.

3. Texas A&M pass defense with three interceptions to include a pick 6 that iced the game. That definitely called for another beer. Florida's great hope for the future, who passed for 450 yards last week, was 6 of 13 for 54 yards and two interceptions. The future was not yesterday.

4. Marcel Reed 11 of 17 passing for 178 yards and 2 TDs with no interceptions. With those aforementioned rushing yards that's 261 yards total offense for Reed. Like it or not, we have quarterback controversy. Reed has earned the right to play. Weigman has not.

5. A&M's 11 receptions were spread over eight receivers. The leading receiver was Cyrus Allen with three receptions including the big 73 yard TD catch and run that was beautiful to watch. We still don't have a go to receiver, but we do have a passing game.

6. 488 yards of total offense in a SEC road game.

7. Zero turnovers and zero sacks. Thank you.

Things to worry about (aka the nitpicking about a win part of the post).

1. 33-20 score did not reflect the level of domination. This was in part due to two missed make-able field goals. All I am saying is that I've seen weirder things in football than losing a two score lead late.

2. 13 penalties for 110 yards. That's a stat that could have been deadly on the road. Fortunately we kept finding a way to overcome the penalties.

3. Randy Bond, 2/4 on field goals, missing two late that would have been nice to have.

4. Nic Scourton, one tackle, albeit a sack. But that's it. Over three games his season stats are two tackles, two assists and one sack. I'm not yet willing to call him a bust, but I am willing to call him greatly overhyped.

Overall impression: This game establishes that our offensive line has been transformed by the new coaching team. I don't know what these guys did right that the last regime did wrong, but it's been huge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.