ADVERTISEMENT

Seeking advice re my brother's business

phastman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2001
Dallas
My brother runs a kayak rental business in Austin on Ladybird Lake called Live, Love, Paddle. He's been in business about 10 years and is pretty successful. He was the first Kayak business in Austin to do "Bat Tours" where you kayak to the bridge and watch the bats from the water. It's a fun way to spend the evening, and you don't have to have kayaked before. Bat tours account for about 1/3rd of his revenue, with hourly rentals making up the other 2/3rds.

He is located just east of I-35, and the Congress Avenue Bridge is about a 1.5 mile kayak to the west, so you have to go under I-35 to reach the bats.

llp.jpg

TxDOT just announced an eight year project to expand I-35. Per the article below, while the bridge over Ladybird Lake is under construction, no recreational watercraft will be allowed underneath. Construction is supposed to start next spring, and it's not clear how long boats won't be allowed to pass under. But seems like it will be between 1 1/2 and 8 years. He also thinks rentals will decrease because a lot of renters head west for the views of downtown.

What would y'all do in his situation? Hire a lawyer? Talk to the city or TxDOT? Obviously they're going to proceed with the project one way or the other, so I guess he's just looking for some relief since it basically puts him out of business. He also has a lease on his retail space, but I don't know how much time is left on it, maybe 3 years.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News