ADVERTISEMENT

Rob's Random Thoughts

-Sellers-

Feb 8, 2009
It has been a while since I have done one of these and that is something I want to change. I think some enough of you take value out of things like this that may not be anything new from a news standpoint, but share a little more of us outside of just writing stories up.

First off, I have been a bit out of pocket this week and I appreciate everyone's patience with that. We've still had some great content all week and I have been able to get some stuff in order that needed to be done.

We got my grandfather into a rehab facility much closer to where he and my parents live so the strain of driving 1.5 hours each way to Austin and back every day will be eased some for my parents.

A very brief update on him - the original thought is he had had a stroke, then they came back and said they believed he had a tumor on his brain. Eventually they came back around to he did in fact have a stroke, the worst kind, and the only thing they can really do for him is to let him try and rehab and see how much function he can regain. He is 71 and has COPD and already had some limited use of his right hand from an old injury, so he has a tough road ahead of him. In the midst of all of this for him, he and my grandmother's anniversary as well as the two year mark of her passing all happened this week. I got to see him for the first time last weekend and although I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised I don't see him being able to get back to a point of independent living. My parents are retired and live on the same property outside of La Grange, but even though my mom is a nurse there are things physically she just can not do for him with no use of his left arm and leg. They just can't trust for him to be by himself and un-monitored for hours on end like before with the added medical issues. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers along the way and am relieved a bit that we have moved into a more stable situation with him for now.

Now for some more sports and A&M related thoughts:

A&M QB Recruiting Is In A Good Spot

I really like the way the Aggies are going with the quarterback recruiting in this class. I think it is very apparent now that they will take two in this class and that should begin to rebuild a little depth for them. I think it would be a great tandem for them to get the Texas two-step of Jalen Hurts and Dillon Sterling-Cole and be done. Hurts has been one of my favorites in the class for a while and seeing some of Sterling Cole's video from Nike last weekend, it looks as though he has progressed more since I saw him early in the season last year. We'll get a shot to see them very up close in a couple weekends for the Rivals camps in Houston and Dallas.

The 2016 Class Seems Slow Going, But It Isn't

I know some are hoping for more commitments at this point but I wouldn't be concerned by where everything stands, including with Greg LIttle and Tyrie Cleveland who have been looking around some. It seems in this day and age that this is going to happen more and more. Early commitments in college recruiting just aren't a solid thing and even the coaching staff does not take it as a done deal. If I remember correctly there were only about 5 or 6 commitments at this point last year so they are about on the same pace.
The Aggies offer of Sterling-Cole and their signing of Kyler Murray will go a long way to securing both. If/When Sterling-Cole does commit, I think that firms up Cleveland. I think the Aggies are in a great spot in terms of the 2016 class and this could still end up being one of the best in recent memory. This class will be key to them taking that next step beginning in 2016. They must hit a home run with their LB and CB recruiting in this class. There is no two ways to put that. If they don't secure players at those two positions that can make an early impact, they risk the chance of those two positions keeping them from taking the next step of competing for SEC titles and more.

Hurry Up Next Week!

I know there is a clear method for why they start spring ball and then take spring break but it is frustrating. You get a little taste of some football again and then have to wait a week. If I remember correctly they will likely have three practices next week and for the first time this spring it should be outdoors. Next week should be a good one as they ramp back up quickly and get into the back half of spring ball already. It will be over before you know it and we'll all be begging for the season to start.

Let The Madness Begin

This next four days are my favorite of the NCAA Tournament. There are so many games crammed into four days and the upsets are always fun to see. Although I don't get to watch nearly as much as I used to it is still fun to see a few and catch up on the condensed version on SportsCenter. I know most would rather have the Aggies in it but it will still be a fun tournament to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.