ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Spencer, creator of the term "alt-right," to speak to A&M

One year when I was there Al Gore's dad, the ex-Tennessee governor, showed up to speak. He wasn't well received but wasn't protested either. He also gave a boring speech.

Agree people should boycott and protest but it's not a bad look. It's a good thing to express all ideas in a free marketplace. There's a lot of hateful rhetoric from the far left that is welcome and even celebrated on American universities.
I also think this group is a logical reaction to the militant PC culture that has dominated our universities.

Curious as to how he is coming to speak on campus. does a student group/org. have to invite him? can any group book a room in rudder to give a speech like this?

Not a good look but I hope the university stands up for the 1st amendment against pending backlash.

Protesting has been played out thanks to 2016. The protesting will drive the controversy and lead to that clown having a real platform. The guy has a right to free speech and universities are a place where free speech should not be suppressed. Anyone with half a brain will not attend the speech.

Reactions: kjones_aggie
Agree people should boycott and protest but it's not a bad look. It's a good thing to express all ideas in a free marketplace. There's a lot of hateful rhetoric from the far left that is welcome and even celebrated on American universities.
I also think this group is a logical reaction to the militant PC culture that has dominated our universities.

No, I'll assume that you haven't read and seen all the stuff about this guy yet. If you have and think this is a "logical reaction" to anything then we will just have to disagree and I will now know you are a racist bigot.

These guys just gave a speech in Washington where they gave Nazi salutes and advocated for separation of races. This is the "kinder, friendlier, dresses up in a suit, smile at you real nice" kind of racist douche.

This is not a legit reaction or political party, just a bunch of racist, bigoted assclowns. Finally, it is a bad look for the University. I'm aware of this because people on Facebook were posting it and saying "not surprising this guy will speak at A&M".

I know that is a weak thing to say but it just reenforces a bad stereotype. I'm happy the university isn't shutting him down as I think even these hateful douches should be allowed to speak. That doesn't mean it won't be a bad look, especially if some dumb asses show up or worse some guy in a Corps uniform shows up.

So we should be like other universities and start suppressing free speech?

Very embarrassing for our University to give this guy a platform. Students on campus exercising free speech? Sure. Giving someone unaffiliated with the University use of our University facilities to spew white supremacist nonsense? Why? We don't have any obligation to let outside groups use our facilities, that doesn't fall under the blanket of free speech.

So if any group approaches A&M and asks A&M for use of it's facilities, A&M is obligated by "free speech" to allow use of our facilities?

If he's going outside the MSC and shouting at students, thats different - I don't think there is a need to ban the public from campus grounds. But as I understood it he is being given use of facilities.

Very embarrassing for our University to give this guy a platform. Students on campus exercising free speech? Sure. Giving someone unaffiliated with the University use of our University facilities to spew white supremacist nonsense? Why? We don't have any obligation to let outside groups use our facilities, that doesn't fall under the blanket of free speech.
It's a public university. Who gets to be the decider of who can use the facilities and who can't?

I don't agree with this guy's views, and there were several speakers who came when I was in school that I didn't agree with .......but who gets to decide "oh I don't like his speech, we can't let him come"?

Ben Shapiro, a libertarian commentator has been banned from several Universities and some threatened to arrest him if he stepped on campus. He isn't some alt-right supremacist guy, just a staunch libertarian, but these universities disagree with him so they don't let him speak....that to me goes against what learning in college is about.

Would like to know how this came to be.

I do hate that he's going to get publicity for his message from our university.

It's a public university. Who gets to be the decider of who can use the facilities and who can't?

I don't agree with this guy's views, and there were several speakers who came when I was in school that I didn't agree with .......but who gets to decide "oh I don't like his speech, we can't let him come"?

Ben Shapiro, a libertarian commentator has been banned from several Universities and some threatened to arrest him if he stepped on campus. He isn't some alt-right supremacist guy, just a staunch libertarian, but these universities disagree with him so they don't let him speak....that to me goes against what learning in college is about.

Again, the university shouldn't keep him from speaking. As you stated, that is the purpose of a university, to allow all different views to be debated. Certainly, this guys flawed logic can and will be easily refuted at our fine University.

That said, you are being ignorant if you can't see that this plays right into many stereotypes that people have about A&M. It's a bad look, one that I hope will be judged by the actions of our current students.

He has the right to speak and be heard.

He also has the right to be ridiculed and shunned for his racist beliefs if they become evident in his speech.

This is how it works and liberal universities with their safe speech and safe spaces are just as fascist as this a-hole is.

Again, the university shouldn't keep him from speaking. As you stated, that is the purpose of a university, to allow all different views to be debated. Certainly, this guys flawed logic can and will be easily refuted at our fine University.

That said, you are being ignorant if you can't see that this plays right into many stereotypes that people have about A&M. It's a bad look, one that I hope will be judged by the actions of our current students.
I was responding to Dean who said the university should not give him use of facilities.

He has the right to speak and be heard.

He also has the right to be ridiculed and shunned for his racist beliefs if they become evident in his speech.

This is how it works and liberal universities with their safe speech and safe spaces are just as fascist as this a-hole is.

Just for the record, this guy has made his beliefs evident already. He is a racist, like textbook definition racist.

So if any group approaches A&M and asks A&M for use of it's facilities, A&M is obligated by "free speech" to allow use of our facilities?

If he's going outside the MSC and shouting at students, thats different - I don't think there is a need to ban the public from campus grounds. But as I understood it he is being given use of facilities.

The university is a public forum and if the crazy wants to rent out a room and follows proper university policy then you have to give him the opportunity to speak. You can't apply university policy differently based on views or you open yourself up to discrimination claims.

When I worked at SFA we had Holocaust deniers who wanted to come to campus. They followed all the rules for reserving a room and getting a permit so we let them on campus. Stuff like this happens on campuses across the nation all the time it just gets ignored.

This is my question
From the article:

"Preston Wiginton, white nationalist, organizer of the event and member of the alt-right, said the movement is not about saying white people are better than other races, but that white people should be able to separate themselves and have pride. Wiginton has brought white nationalist speakers to the university in the past, and attended the Texas A&M University from 2006 to 2007 before withdrawing to go to Russia."

So apparently this guy Preston brought him in.

As you stated, that is the purpose of a university, to allow all different views to be debated.

Well, I think that's debatable. Some might say the purpose of a University is to train someone to excel in an academic area. I don't think the A&M Mission Statement states it owes students the right to hear all public views on all topics.

Well, I think that's debatable. Some might say the purpose of a University is to train someone to excel in an academic area. I don't think the A&M Mission Statement states it owes students the right to hear all public views on all topics.

As a public university that takes money from the government they are obliged to allow citizens to speak. It's a first amendment issue.

While I can appreciate and agree that the university is supposed to train people to excel, it is not its purpose to indoctrinate them. Unless diverse points of view are allowed to be presented and discussed then it just becomes a cult, or echo chamber. Allowing discussion allows the ideas to be explained, discussed and ultimately the bad ideas to be proven as such and dismissed.

Reactions: Rick77
From the article:

"Preston Wiginton, white nationalist, organizer of the event and member of the alt-right, said the movement is not about saying white people are better than other races, but that white people should be able to separate themselves and have pride. Wiginton has brought white nationalist speakers to the university in the past, and attended the Texas A&M University from 2006 to 2007 before withdrawing to go to Russia."

So apparently this guy Preston brought him in.

Assuming that's the case I think he should have the right to speak. I'm sure this will be protested and rightfully so. If tickets are sold I will happily buy one to make sure its an empty seat.

They are a public institution.......

Assuming that's the case I think he should have the right to speak. I'm sure this will be protested and rightfully so. If tickets are sold I will happily buy one to make sure its an empty seat.
So you're going to give them money to empty a seat? Way to make a point, man

Just for the record, this guy has made his beliefs evident already. He is a racist, like textbook definition racist.
Understood, and he probably will here as well. It's just better to react than act in the minuscule chance he changed or doesn't even bring it up and talks about something different.

Same guy: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-...n-wiginton-emerges-russia-promoting-race-hate.

Ugly mofo:

ir130_russia_01.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT