ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed new AY feature: "Ask a _____." threads

Higher Authority

Gold Member

I saw someone recently wearing an "Air Accordion" tshirt, which gave me the giggles pretty hard, so I asked a Mexican friend of mine who frequently heads out to shows on the weekend to see some random conjunto star that I've never heard of (but who seemingly has a loyal following from Sherman to Veracruz) if he really listens to that style of music all the time, which he said he does. I asked if he even listened when he was a teenager like kids here listen to pop or r&b, and he said they listened to it from birth to death where he grew up south of San Antonio. I then asked if he really did a rock and roll air accordion like kids do with air guitar here, and he says, "What is this, "Ask A Mexican?"

So that got me thinking, Ags. I know there are random groups represented on AY that could lend some insight into their own specific group that maybe some have always wanted to ask a member of that group but never had an opportunity to do so point blank. Such as, "Ask A Muslim"...do you really pray five times a day?

Now, mind you, we'd need to do this with full respect and not make it into an offensive dogpile, although there should be a certain amount of levity involved since we are talking AY. However, I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that these are Aggies and whatever group they belong to is either sensitive or special to them, probably both.

It's the offseason...I wonder if a random "Ask a ____" discussion would be an interesting waste of time instead of Trout Mask Replica or bitching about another pre-season poll.

Examples:

-Ask A Mexican
-Ask A Mormon
-Ask A Musician
-Ask A Jew
-Ask A Hindu
-Ask A Computer Guy
-Ask A Black Guy
-Ask A Gay Dude

Et cetera.

We can't just inundate the board with these, but it might be helpful on slow days. The other side of that is that the people you are asking questions to have to be willing to participate, so we have to give them room to do so without apprehension.

Can we do this? I have some questions I would like to ask random people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News