ADVERTISEMENT

Our Pass Rush

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
So much has been said about how poor we were against the run last year (rightfully so) that not a lot of effort has been focused on how much we can and should improve rushing the passer this year. I have a few reasons for optimism starting with...

1. Returning Talent - Outside of the normal "haves" in our conference and a few other other programs, can you really think of anyone who has more talent returning on the D Line? I can't. Nolen and Brownlow-Dindy looked almost unblockable at times in the Spring Game. If we can get pressure from them, Jackson and some other kids on the interior, that pocket is going to get awfully small for a lot of opposing quarterbacks.

We probably have even more talent at end but we need better strength, technique and scheme, in my opinion. What do I mean by that? It's not enough to be big, fast and powerful in D-I football and the SEC, particularly at DE. Last year, our players flashed along the line, but they hit the wall, noticeably our ends. On track to have the best campaign at DE was our most seasoned player there, Diggs, before he got hurt. So, to get better edge pressure...

a. Another year in our S&C Program - I've said it before. 17-18 against grown men usually doesn't work. I've read great things from Mark about the re-shaping of the guys all along the line, but I am most interested in how it will affect the ends. Natural benders with strength like Myles Garrett are generational. Everyone else usually has to work 3 times as hard. I'm hoping Diggs will be healthy. Not great flexibility, but strong, solid and smart. As far as speed guys, I'd love to see jumps from White and Sylla as I think they have the best chance of coming off the edge and getting under guys' shoulders.

b. Technique - We have a lot of big powerful ends. Last year, some kids, in the transition to college, maybe lost a little explosion, Some were hurt at times. What worked in high school isn't necessarily going to work in college. Some didn't use enough counters. Can't be a one trick pony. Were they taught them? Yes, I'm sure they were, but when you're tired and winded, some of that learning just falls away. All contributed to hurting their development. It's not enough to be a 5* because it's likely that guy across from you is as well. You've got to be better at your craft than they are. Sometimes the bull rushes and power will work, but it's handy to have all the other swims, clubs and rip moves when they don't.

c. Schemes - All right, I will lay this right at Durkin's feet. You can't have the talent and not play it. First point, you have the depth. Your base defense is a 4-2-5. Play to your strength! That is the line. Second point. Don't get too cute! Junk defenses may have served you well at previous stops where you didn't have the horses, but now you do. Zone blitzes like dropping Sylla, White or Overton into coverage like last year are okay as a changeup, but they need to rush the passer more. Third. If you need to, blitz, well, blitz. If we're not getting there, that's a problem. Frankly, I'd rather go down swinging than watch Will Rogers complete 8 straight 10 yard passes to beat us on the last drive. Yuck!

2. Pride - Does anyone here on this board really believe this kids haven't read or heard the statements/comments/jokes made about us last year?! Me neither. That's a lot of shoulder chips on a lot really big kids who I really wouldn't want angry with me on a Saturday afternoon or evening....

3. Future - Say what we want about the kids bleeding Maroon and White, but these players are trying to play for their football futures. Most won't get there, but a few will and what they can put on tape is their resume to the NFL. Secondarily, if they can play well enough, they may be able to bump up their NIL deals while still in college as well. That's just the way it is these days and I can't blame them.

Gig'em!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News