ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion - The 5 most important pieces of a successful program

SeanMc41

Known Member
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2013
Houston
Been thinking about this a lot and I’m curious everyone’s opinion. And I’m not starting this thread to cause any arguments. I‘m just curious what everyone values most.

Here’s my Top 5:
1. Offensive Line - I personally believe that most great teams (College or Pros) have one common denominator…a great O-line. A great O-line can make up for average QB play. And as we have seen first-hand, having a great QB means nothing if he gets beat up behind a crappy line.
2. Quarterback - I personally believe a transcendent QB makes a coach and not the other way around. Truly special college QB’s also carry teams to the natty (Although sometimes they flame out in the pros)…Tebow, VY, Cam Newton, Tua, Burrow, etc. I think it is VERY hard to win a Natty with an average QB.
3. Defense - There’s a reason Big 12 teams don’t win it all. You need a solid D. But as we personally learned in the RC/Wrecking Crew days, Defense alone is not enough. That’s why I have O-line and QB higher.
4. Assistant Coaches - These are the guys in the trenches doing the real work. Have good ones or get exposed. But even great coaching does not make up for talent deficiencies…which is why I have them 4th.
5. Head Coach - To me, the head coach is just a figure-head/CEO type. A great head coach is one that players want to play for and strong assistants want to coach for. But that’s it. If they meddle with the play-calling, or think that they can replace one of the coordinators, there is almost always a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News