ADVERTISEMENT

On the topic of BBQ and such

Higher Authority

Gold Member
Howdy, Ags. It’s your ol’ buddy HA. You may remember me from classic AY threads such as Dirty AY Related Limericks or Poll: What’s Your Least Favorite Race? After a full summer of smoking various cheap cuts of meat to near perfect consistency and flavor, I’d like to share a few of the things I’ve learned in my constant evolution of a backyard cook using wood for fuel.

My old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker that I’ve used for smaller cooks for years finally rusted completely away, so I had to replace it. In addition to the rust, it built up a pretty serious creosote.

First of all, no foil on brisket or pork butt. Switched to unbleached butcher paper or “peach” paper. Breathes a lot more, creates a better bark but still kills a stall and traps enough steam to convect. I’ll still use foil on ribs.

Second, I’m using a spray bottle with a briny liquid solution.

Finally, I raised my temps up 50deg. Makes for a shorter cook but doesn’t affect the smoke flavor at all.

I’ll do a few different posts so I don’t cram everything into one long post.

Brisket-I made a huge shift last year to go with only salt and pepper on my rub. Also, I started using an Aaron Franklin trim, and it’s a big difference maker. Diamond Crystal kosher salt with pepper and MSG in the rub with a light sprinkling of garlic powder but just a bit. I tried a couple throws of paprika for color, but can’t really tell much if a difference. Trimming a day before and letting it sit unwrapped on a rack in the fridge overnight is considered a “dry brine” and it creates an incredible bark. I’m going with smaller briskets, which I really like vs the monster cuts. 11-12lbs if you can find one. Cook at 275-300deg until you hit 203deg in the flat where the point starts. In a spray bottle, I mix equal parts Worcestershire, liquid aminos, and white vinegar, spraying down every 30 minutes. I’m wrapping in peach at 170deg or or when it stalls. I’m using a mix of oak & hickory or pecan equally.

It’s next level cooking. Thin cuts against the grain are like beef candy.

RX64kM2.jpg

ETLh5tU.jpg

r0UhJpL.jpg

tbc...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News