ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, so let's talk a little more about those trenches...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
I believe many of us on here are in violent agreement these last few years that poor coaching was more the issue on both sides of the line of scrimmage than lack of talent. That's not to say depth and inexperience haven't been an issue, they have as well. So, moving forward, what kinds of fixes shall we expect? Here are my thoughts, offense first...
  • Coach Klein has thoughts on schemes, plays, diagrams, of everything you can think of running around in that big brain of his. But he also has a second thought. Can the guys do what I ask of them?! That's what he's going to be talking with his position coaches, and most especially his line coach, about. Can they do what I'm asking them to do within the framework of the play? It's your job to make sure they have the right individual techniques, but can they function as a unit to make my plays work as they should? If not, it's time get some in there who can help do that. But coaches also have to have adaptability themselves to be able to adjust on the fly. If we're simply not good at outside zone, why run it? Run the schemes to the personnel we have, whatever it is.
  • Coach Bateman has some tools in the toolbox, but needs more in my opinion. We have a dearth of guys at Nose Tackle...Regis, Samu, one or two others in a pinch, but space eaters are crucial to plugging up the running game in a 4 MAN front. Hicks, Dindy and Turner can be very good 3 techs. They will disrupt and blow up both the run and pass. All will cover up the backers to scrape and tackle. Watching the game, I couldn't believe how little disguise Durkin came up with. No games, no twists. Nothing to create advantages, one one ones. It was sickening. Everything was passed off by their O Line with ease. When we did blow something up, it was all individual effort. Kudos to the players. Coach Moffitt will be all over our guys about gaining strength and I truly hope the coaches will be on them about pass moves and counters every day. Lastly, I want Coach Bateman to put them in the best place to succeed every play, to heck with egos or NILs.
Gig'em!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News