ADVERTISEMENT

Need Prayers and Advice: UPDATE

AggieTabi

Known Member
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2007
Update: Sweet Brooke was discharged from the hospital today; one month after what she thought was a routine pulled muscle, that resulted in the amputation of her left foot.

I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, well wishes, and fantastic advice. While the whole process has been nothing short of devastating, Brooke and her family are people of great faith who have found beauty in the ashes of their situation. Please join me in praying for her emotional recovery as she adapts to a new normal.

Hi AggieYell Gents...I know I've been AWOL for a bit, but it's my youngest girl's senior year, and we've been busy doing all the "lasts". Last weekend (Feb 25/26), She completed her last NCA AllStar Nationals in Dallas. It sucked, but that's not the big story.

These girls compete hurt and injured all the time, so it was no surprise to me when we had an athlete limping to the competition mat. I walked along with her slowly, and tried to offer things that might help. She had tears streaming down her face, and this is a TOUGH girl, who NEVER complains. I knew something was wrong, and told her mom when I saw her later that they really needed to get her checked out. She nodded, said they already had, but hadn't gotten to the source of her pain.

The next morning, Monday Feb 27th, she was rushed to the ER with 6 blood clots in 5 arteries. After 5 days in ICU, on a constant Heparin drip, and enduring 4 major surgical procedures, this sweet, 16 year old girl will lose her foot. Surgery will either be on Thursday or Friday. We're all shocked, devastated, horrified, and just overwhelmed at what has just happened.

Here's where I need help and advise:
Do any of you have good ideas for gifts that can Help her adapt to life once she gets home? It will be a while before she gets a prosthetic, but all I can think about is finding a way for this baby girl to retain SOME sense on independence. Any suggestions y'all may have are deeply appreciated!

We are all trying to find the positives. The FIRST is that one of those clots didn't dislodge and travel to her heart while she was competing. Also, it's her left foot, so she won't have to re-learn how to drive. The AllStar cheer world has been amazing. Everyone offering help and well-wishes. I just need help making a REALLY sucky situation better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News