ADVERTISEMENT

Midweek Matchup Meanderings

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Been a little under the weather so not really sure where these will go, but I will try my best...
  • "Attack the Edges Smartly" - I mean this literally and figuratively for us. Bama is huge along their offensive front, but from what I've seen, not as laterally mobile as in years past. Our line, on the other hand, has finally learned to attack more shoulders and hips in addition to their initial punch. It's going to be a game of speed & power against raw power, whether is one on one or double teams. But here is the second part of the equation. We must attack with a plan in mind. The Tide would just love wash our tackles or ends out of plays for runs for their backs or Milroe because of our over aggression. Seems too easy?! It probably is. I'd be looking for RPO, traps, screens, or designed cutbacks. I don't want call off the dogs at all, but let's make sure we're taking chunks out of the right mailman.
  • "Scheme Mixers" - Durkin and Petrino have to be at their best in this game. The talent is just too close, so it is going to come down coaching and probably breaks (almost sorry I wrote that now). Let's start with Durkin. I've been as hard as anyone on some of his stuff since he's been here. Even last week, I saw some 3rd down calls I thought were still puzzling. That said, 174 yards, 7 sacks, 15 TFLs, pick 6, who am I?! But this is Bama, different beast. Can we use same scheme as last week? Not quite. Better runners including QB, better line, better receivers, but they want to run a similar kind of offense. Pound the rock and deep shots behind it. Durkin has to run some of the Arky concepts to muddy up Bama's offense, with the understanding Milroe is a much better athlete. If he's got any new wrinkles to confuse him more, might be worth a shot. I still don't care for dropping our ends into the middle of the field. They seem okay in the flats, though. Our ends or whoever has contain on the RPO must be judicious in what they do. They must make Milroe make an uncomfortable decision. Letting him have too many out options there in space is the last thing we want.
  • "Scheme Mixers Part II" - It's been a while since we've really had the players AND the player caller to take advantage of Saban. I don't discount Bama's defense at all. As always, they have some dudes, especially in the secondary. Still, I like the matchups we have and moreso, I like Petrino's ability the find the best matchups for us. Bama loves to run that safety up in the box to blow up the run or pass. Petrino and Max have to be ready for it and make them pay for doing it. Same with the corner blitz they like to call. Gotta know where the hot read is there to counter it. If healthy, as I've said, I really like our 4 top receivers against their DBs, even though I respect them. They are aggressive and can get handsy. I believe we can use that against them. I think another advantage we have is at TE and the backs catching the ball. We have to run enough to make them think run, but I like us in space on their LBs with short swings or dump offs. No doubt we're going see some press coverage, so the question becomes protection if we go deep. Do we go max protect and limit guys in the route? Or go 3 or 4 verticals and go for broke against the rush? Tis the question, Bobby....
Gonna Be Fun and Gig'em!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News