ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day Thoughts

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Some regular stuff and other, more important things as well.

NCAA Tournament draw -- drugs are bad, mmmkay?

That's my message to the clowns who put together the national seeds and have TCU as one, but not A&M or Vandy. The Aggies have seven more wins against Top 50 RPI teams than TCU, won 45 games (including 18 in conference in 2 in the tournament), had a higher RPI and didn't go two and BBQ in the tournament of a garbage conference. They'll never say so, but the reason A&M didn't get the national seed is because they wanted to be "fair" and not give the SEC too many. Well, when you're the best conference in America, YOU SHOULD have more than everyone else.

It's a joke.

If you read nothing else today, make it this

A great story about Dutch citizens who tend the graves of Americans killed in WWII to this day.

So what about Derrick Griffin?

I know that some of you are already fired up about the certainty that he's coming back to A&M and will be a huge star, etc...but I would urge serious caution here. For a bunch of reasons.

First, the only verification we have that Griffin is eligible is Griffin himself. He's also said:

He'd be in at A&M before classes started in the fall of 2013.
He was good to play at Miami.
He was eligible to play at Texas Southern.

None of those things have panned out. I'm not saying he's not going to be eligible, and it's great that he's stuck to it, but let's see if A&M 1) goes after him and 2) his transcripts are, indeed, in order.

Something else to consider: he hasn't played football in two years.

Now, having said all that, would I take him? You bet. You've still got three scholarships for this year and if he's eligible to play immediately, the rewards would certainly outweigh the risks. I could easily see Griffin and Jordan Davis become the two hybrid tight ends in this offense for the next four years, and both would give A&M the potential for massive size matchups. He was 6'6", 225 two years ago, and there's little chance he's gotten slimmer. However he's used, he's certainly worth a try -- if he's really good to go this time around.

Keeping watch

1tevlin0810.jpg

Let's talk linebackers for a second

If you read Tidbits last Friday (and, if you didn't, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?), you saw that we have a very well-connected source tell us that A.J. Hilliard would get the nod at Mike if the season started today. That was kind of a surprise, with the way Josh Walker played last year, but maybe it shouldn't be. Hilliard's faster and more athletic -- which was why I didn't think he'd be in the middle, but would be the fourth linebacker roaming between multiple positions. Walker, on the other had, did play OLB in high school, and maybe he's going to be the guy who fills that role. So, right now your starters are Alaka, Hilliard and Washington. That's a fair amount of speed. Walker and Claude George give them two other options, and with the premium on speed I'll bet Richard Moore and Dwaine Thomas also get on the field this year. Just a hunch.

On the recruiting front, we've long thought A&M led for Michael Divinity (still do), but watch out for this name: Tyrel Dodson, out of Franklin, Tenn. This is a John Chavis special, as he was tipped off on the kid early and made the offer personally. Dodson's offer list isn't thrilling right now, but wait a little while. He's been a hot commodity in spring practice and going into 7-on-7. He can really run. And, thanks to Chavis getting on him early, A&M is his likely leader.

Two Presidents, two appropriate messages for today

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News