ADVERTISEMENT

Looked up some tape on Coach Bateman's Army defenses...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
I remember watching them, but I had to refresh my memory. Like Illinois, I always catch some Army games every year (Beat Navy!) so I remembered those defenses but I just didn't realize who coached them. I found them pretty easily online and there was a lot of good content. Some points...
  • Knew Coach had to be "Multiple" - Okay, this was a given. You just don't succeed at Army unless you run multiple schemes and disguise them well. The Academies simply don't have the athletes, so you scheme around it. What he did have at Army was three things. Discipline, intelligence and teamwork. You have to have all three when you need to be more cerebral to level the playing field against superior athleticism. Ask Kyler Murray and OU.
  • Look at the Entire Body of Work - So, it's a fact that Coach had initial good success at UNC before being let go. Who's that on? I'm sure he would tell you. Him. I couldn't find any video of why his defense slipped there so I'm not going to speculate. I will say that I watched a few Gator games last year and every group on that defense had a hand in the losses I saw. Still, I put it more on the staff, especially the DC. For every string of several good plays they made, it was followed by a key mental lapse (or three) that led to a big play(s). Hence, 5-7.
  • Recruiting Help Needed There - Most everyone here's already heard that Coach has great recruiting chops, but just where may those chops be pray tell?! Yup, in Virginia, North Carolina and 'Ol Orange's backyard. I really, really like the first two areas because in the past 10 years, those two have fast become two of the hottest recruiting beds in the nation. The third one I like for just PLAIN OLD FLAT OUT REVENGE!
Gig'em!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News