ADVERTISEMENT

Kellen Mond- the Good and the Bad

David123

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
After watching the game again here are my observations.

Let's start with the bad.

The fumble with 5 minutes left was inexcusable, you just have to protect the ball and let your defense win the game. It all started with a bobbled snap (the 3rd of the game), just can't let that happen. The Center QB exchange has been terrible, both under center and in shotgun.

The INT early in the 4th qtr was partly Mond's fault (just threw a short range bullet that needed a bit more touch) but it hit Jones right in the hands and it would have been a 1st down.

A few other notes, Mond threw 5 passes that hit the receivers hands that weren't caught. 3 were thrown high and probably shouldn't have been caught and 2 probably should have been caught. Rodger's dropped one in the 1st qtr that hit him between the #'s that would have been a 1st down and the pass Jones dropped that turned into an INT.

The Good

Mond got hit damn near every single time he dropped back to pass and didn't blink. I also didn't think he held on to it too long ( maybe once or twice), he just simply didn't have time. He also really never had enough time to step into his passes. Moore got abused the entire game by #41, just terrible.

In the 1st Qtr Mond was pressured on 3rd and about 8 and side stepped two guys in the pocket, stepped up and hit Davis for a big 1st down. Starkel would have been crushed on that play.

The TD pass to Davis in the 2nd qtr was a seed, great pass.

In the 3rd qtr after holding the ball too long and taking a sack, the next play he scrambled 14 yards and a 1st down.

Also in the 3rd qtr Mond got rocked by blitzing LBers on 2 different swing passes, one to #81 and the other to #5, both were great throws that hit the both guys on stride.

Overall, I thought he was much better watching the replay, he just simply didn't have the time to do anything and made the most of a bad situation more times than not. A few things he did that will get overlooked were two or three great scrambles for 1st down and 2 huge QB sneaks.

Kentucky had the #3 scoring defense and #12 Total yardage defense entering the game, IMO they were the best we've faced all year, yes- including Clemson and Bama. This is a game in the past that our QB's would have completely folded- Kyler, Kyle and Kenny all folded in big games against similar defenses.

I give the MVP of the game to 2 guys, Braden Mann and Donovan Wilson. It was crazy how many open field tackles Wilson made on 3rd down to end series, he just doesn't miss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News