ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime Observations

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Well, let's start with the big thing: that was a fumble and a touchdown and these refs suck. It's ridiculous how bad they are.

Now the other obvious part: this is just a bad game. Everything we assumed about these teams has been put on its head.

Offensively, it looks like Conner Weigman's day is done and Max Johnson will go in. That's not for sure, but Weigman definitely looked like he was in some pain when he left. Weigman was not his normal self, missing on several easy passes, but that's still a big blow.

The running game needs to get going. And I think the guy to do it is obvious today: Le'Veon Moss. He busted the big 36-yard run and has had more success overall than anyone else. Amari Daniels isn't the guy today. He's gotten nowhere. Rueben Owens had that awesome reception, so that should keep him on the field.

I'm very surprised that Evan Stewart hasn't seen more looks. Weigman was intent on getting the ball out quickly, and mostly in the flats, to Jahdae Walker. But this has been an extremely conservatively called game, which I did not expect at all.

It may have something to do with a lack of faith in the offensive line. Bryce Foster is not having a good game. Neither is Layden Robinson. The tackles have held up well in pass protection but have provided little push in the running game. That's gonna have to change quickly.

The defense has done its job so far. It's been placed in some tough situations and has come through. Officially, they're credited with 3 sacks, but I thought they had 5. They've got 6 tackles for loss and Auburn is averaging 3 yards a rush and 3.5 yards a play. That's some good work.

The linebackers have been especially active. Taurean York has 9 tackles and a sack, and Edgerrin Cooper should have had a touchdown. The Aggies are giving Payton Thorne a lot of trouble and, well, he's just not very good. The Aggies should have had a couple of picks, but the passes were so overthrown nobody could get to them.

I still hate the 3-man front, but at least they've been blitzing and getting home. They'll have to keep doing that in the second half.

A&M really needs to get a quick 3 and out and see if they can establish something offensively, especially if they go to Max. Auburn will try to scoot up to take the run and short passes, so maybe it's time to try something to deep. I'm not real thrilled with this conservative playcalling so far.

Anyway, if you stayed home, good move. This game is miserable weather-wise and in terms of play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News